Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Starter Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Issues?

I have a relatively new EvoX GSR, only 1800 miles...and so far, I haven't had any problems until tonight.

The temps have been getting colder late, and tonight, the car took much longer to start than usual. Normally, my car only needs to crank about 1-3 seconds before starting.

But Twice tonight, the car cranked for about 10 seconds before starting. (Once started, the engine ran completely normal....)

Anybody else experiencing this problem? Anything I can check?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:04 AM

that happend to me also like 3 times already. lol the car wudnt start untill i waited for 5 secs to try it again.. you shud check from the dealership. try!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

I've noticed this as well. I think the stock battery just sucks. All the extra wiring from moving it to the trunk probably doesn't help either.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:38 AM

happened to me like 6 times already, but it stopped since last month

it just went away =\
Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I to have noticed there is not a lot of guts behind the OEM start up system; it sort of feels like the battery is low. My old DSM start was immediate and much stronger the X's. That said, this is my first X so this may just be characteristic of EVO's in general albeit undesirable.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Heck I have had this happen in the warm too.

Park inside maybe?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

You might want to check your battery strength. The dealer might have had the car sitting in the lots for a while before anyone test drove them. These batteries are expensive to replace too from what someone told me.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

The battery strength and cranking amps can be tested both at the dealer and most any auto parts store. It's worth the time to atleast go to an AutoParts store and get the free test since it's relatively quick. If below standards push to have it replaced since your car is fairly new.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Made an appointment to see the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully its fixed after a new battery.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine in for the same reason... the dealer said nothing was wrong with the battery.... however I may go get a second opinion.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

It's the battery - they are crap. Mine was dead the second day of owning the car. I have been waiting over 3 weeks now for a new one. They are on back order because so many are going bad so fast.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smoothevo
It's the battery - they are crap. Mine was dead the second day of owning the car. I have been waiting over 3 weeks now for a new one. They are on back order because so many are going bad so fast.
Intersting. My battery from day one sounds like it is weak. I got to thinking that is should get better after a real long charge but it has stayed the same. So either (1) the battery is defective or (2) the alternator is not putting out the amps or (3) this is just a characteristic of EVO's.
Was your battery actually tested AND alternator output measured? Please let us know, for it is hard to understand how a new battery can be shot after a couple thousand miles.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

My battery was 100% dead as a door nail. It was so dead that my Commander (hemi) couldn't jump it. It was so dead that I couldn't unlock the damn doors with even with the truck trying to jump it.

Yes it was pulled and tested and it was shot ( 250 miles ). I was told there is a problem with the battery and a lot of them are coming back which is why there is a wait. On a side note dealer called and got my new batter installed today
Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

yes happened to me twice in warm weather..
it didnt start from the first time..3rd or 4th try
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
GNR
Evolving Member

the battery is made by panasonic... lots of japanese made cars used panasonic battery...