Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any "MR" in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any "MR" in Japan?

The US was quick to release a Model that we call MR but i wonder when will Japan release the REAL MR since to them the GSR can have either SST or the 5 speed.
Any one has a clue on this? weather they plan on releasing/make a real MR in Japan? and will they have plans to ship it over?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

The USDM MR has always been the real MR minus engine modifications it seems.

JDM VIII MR (both RS and GSR) = USDM performance gains in 2005

USDM VIII MR = JDM VIII MR GSR (8.5 GSR), minus the titanium turbo, it has the vortex generator, the BBS wheels, tinted light casings etc.

USDM IX MR = JDM IX GSR + BBS wheels

USDM IX SE MR = JDM IX MR GSR minus the smaller 155G turbo and ECU modifications. It still retains the red stitched seats and all the cosmetic enhancements. I'm not sure if Espelir springs were added as well like the JDM model.

To make it easier for you to see the whole picture:

Japan

VIII RS [no AYC]
VIII RS2 (6 speed I believe) [AYC?]
VIII GSR [AYC]

VIII MR RS [no AYC]
VIII MR RS2 (6 speed I believe) [AYC?]
VIII MR GSR [AYC]

IX RS [no AYC]
IX GT [AYC?]
IX GSR [AYC]

IX MR RS [no AYC]
IX MR GT [AYC?]
IX MR GSR [AYC]

USDM models have additional safety and emissions (weight gains are quite minimal), and USDM IX retain the VIII bumper, and has clear tailight blinkers instead of amber.

MR is a pretty minor performance enhancement, it is more cosmetic.

8.5 was produced from 2004 to mid 2005
9 was produced from 2005 to early 2007
9.5 had a very short run (about a half year) of early 2007 to end 2007

If they continue the trend, MR should appear within half year.

If you can read Japanese, and have a lot of time, then you can look at the press release details:

http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...all/index.html
Old Dec 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

what are the differences between the USDM spec Evo X and the JDM spec evo x. All i can think of is the AFS, Intercooler spray bottle and diff ecu maps due to diff octane there? Any hardware differences?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Intercooler spray bottle is standard on GSR and optional on the RS. USDM is missing for both GSR and MR trim right?

I believe there are some extra hardware for emissions. I don't think there is any difference parts for safety, maybe the crash beams are different I don't know, but externally they should be the same. It is no longer common for a car to have different bumpers and headlights for different markets.

ECU should be the same, at least timing-wise for making power. There are rumors that Japanese performance cars have ECUs set more aggressive in Japan due to fuel (100 RON, which is about 94 MON) and is available through out the country (their regular is 98RON, which is 93 MON) but dynojet results usually show similar figures. They may still use different serial number because of things like speed limiter (112mph in Japan, 155mph or no limiter elsewhere).
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i have a JDM. I don't think the USDM comes with AFS? Glad that the turbo and all those things are the same cause i am hoping to have my car tuned by a US tuner
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

im just thinking that maybe once the Japan release a version of the evox that they do badge as the 10, it might be a ever higher performer than the USDM evoultion X...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
The USDM MR has always been the real MR minus engine modifications it seems.
That's not true, the USDM 8, or 9 MR doesn't have AYC either but the Japanese EVO IX GSR's do (I don't believe there was an EVO IX MR in Japan) and that's definitely more than an engine mod. There were no JDM EVO IX MR's.

The USDM EVO X's have AYC also like their Japanese GSR counterparts which it what makes it turn better than the USDM IX.

As for the Japanese X MR, I don't believe it's been released yet - but it should have something unique to be called that aside from just options (Just like the JDM 8 MR in which came with an aluminum roof, bilsteins and bbs which all became standard, or options in the JDM IX but were unique from the EVO 8 GSR)

Last edited by funks; Dec 11, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Do yals think there will ever be a chance of mitsu making a 6-speed real manual equipped X some day soon??