Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Where to buy TPMS sensors for the X?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's say I (or anyone else) does get a second set of sensors to put on aftermarket wheels. Can the wheels be swapped and the new sensors will be recognized by the car, or do they need to be programmed to the car every time the wheels are swapped?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
Only four sensors can be recognized by the car at a time. So swapping wheeles with TPMS thingies in them will require a reprogram of the car each time wheels/TPMS thingies are swapped. PITA.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Not really, if you use a set of OEM sensors then they will work the same on a second set of wheels as the first. Mitsu doesn't use a dealer level program such as toyota. As long as you have the correct VDO sensors you can swap them and the system will reset itself without a trip to the dealer
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
Not really, if you use a set of OEM sensors then they will work the same on a second set of wheels as the first. Mitsu doesn't use a dealer level program such as toyota. As long as you have the correct VDO sensors you can swap them and the system will reset itself without a trip to the dealer
This is what my local dealership told me, but I don't know if anyone has actually proven this yet. Maybe in spring when some folks ditch their winter wheels/tires.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

this is not true. I bought a set of wheels w/oem sensors. They needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

^ true but do you need to do anything once you swap on the other wheels/tires which previously sync with the car?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by starmax
^ true but do you need to do anything once you swap on the other wheels/tires which previously sync with the car?
Haven't done that yet. We'll see when Spring comes.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:10 PM

i got TPMS from tirerack, and the dealership COULD NOT reprogram those to get rid of the warning... they said that they detected the TPMS sensors, but they sensors always said they were at 0 psi... did i just get a defective TPMS from tirerack?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hgby
i got TPMS from tirerack, and the dealership COULD NOT reprogram those to get rid of the warning... they said that they detected the TPMS sensors, but they sensors always said they were at 0 psi... did i just get a defective TPMS from tirerack?
Try different dealer?

I was actually the first customer that requested to re-program the TPMS sensors at my dealership. The dealership initially wanted to charge me $90 dollars to do it then I told them that some other dealership is willing to do it for $40 dollars, so they lowered the price to $47 dollars.

It might be that the technician never re-sync the TPMS sensors before?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Just had Discount Tire install some sensors on my RPF1's...

And turning the car on and off several times as well as driving about 30 miles, the lights still come on even after Discount Tire said they'd more than likely reset themselves.
Not sure what to do if they're wrong.

Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blxmjx
this is not true. I bought a set of wheels w/oem sensors. They needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer.
Every sensor has its own code that needs to be programmed into the car for it to pick up the tire pressure info. If you got a new set of wheels with new sensors, they obviously have different codes, hence you will need to reprogram them into the car for the car to pick up info from these new sensors instead of the old ones.

For example, if You put on new wheels with new sensors, but you have the old ones lying around close to the car, the car might actually think they are on since it can still read the info from these sensors and will not throw a warning. The moment you pull away far enough from the old wheels, you WILL see a warning.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking from experience...

This is not correct. Confirmed with my dealer to the tune of $125 to reprogram the new sensors.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by de_pellerin_luc
This is not correct. Confirmed with my dealer to the tune of $125 to reprogram the new sensors.
I think he meant if you reused the sensors from the old wheels in the new wheels. That should work I reckon.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:54 AM

So if i use my original sensors with new wheels i should be OK. I sounds like from what im reading?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

bump for imfo

Quick Reply: Where to buy TPMS sensors for the X?