Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Where did the top end power go? New X owner.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did the top end power go? New X owner.

So I finally passed the 600 mile break in period on my X and for the first time, believe it or not, I passed 5K RPMs. At first I just drove normally passing the 5K RPM mark. Then at a light I slowly gave it gas in 1st gear and then floored it from 1st to 2nd, then 3rd. I dont know if its my imagination or not, but the car feels strong until 5K RPMs. After that it feels like its pulling weaker. I know that coming from a Mugen Si, which pulls strongest from 5800 RPM to 8300RPMs, might have spoiled me a little but. But I have read numerous times that the X should pull pretty strong to around 7K RPMs, right?
I should mention that my Sales Guy said that I have to schedule for a reflash at the dealer. This could be the reason, but Im not experiencing any of the issues some owners have had passing 5K RPMs in their new Xs. It drives without hiccups, just not as much power up top as I thought.
In any case, I would appreciate any replies in regards to this. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

You should get the reflash and see if you notice a difference.

Sadly, the car is still pretty slow stock even after the flash. I got some mods on my car to help it breath better pretty soon after break in like exhaust, UICP, and a Works drop in filter, and the car pulls much harder. Getting a custom ECU flash which leans out the incredibly rich factory tune should also help A LOT.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by sspeed; Jul 20, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thats because stock tune is pig rich to start off with, power curve above 5000rpm is basically flat.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i fixed that issue with the cobb stage 1 map from the accessport. hello top end! i missed you.

you can also order the AP from perrin which has more torque on it's stage 1.

mitsu's reflash won't do a damn thing. start researching how and with what you want to tune.

Last edited by dek0026; Jan 21, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I did the same waited till break in period was over and then I pushed it harder. I however was impressed by the difference from 4500rpm to 7000rpm. (I do have the dealer reflash since April)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dek0026
i fixed that issue with the cobb stage 1 map from the accessport. hello top end! i missed you.

you can also order the AP from perrin which has more torque on it's stage 1.

mitsu's reflash won't do a damn thing. start researching how and with what you want to tune.
So that AP makes that much of a difference on a stock X? ( assuming you are stock other than the AP )
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i am stock other than the AP and it is a completely different tune. you have more power down low and a noticeable about up high. it just pulls to redline.

i am not trying to highjack this thread into an AP thread though. there are plenty of threads in the tuning section.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

My evo x is good till about 6k. No mods besides intake and no factory reflash.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Get some bolt ons and a tune! I hold 20 psi at 7k rpms and hold over 300whp at 7.5k rpms
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

You should've made them do the reflash before you picked up the car. That's what I did. No point in wasting my time coming in for an "appointment" to do something they could've already done.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Although I have a custom tune currently on my 07 WRX, at first I went the Cobb route. Stage I alone made the car run 100% better...the power coming on way sooner. After changing out the DP, the Cobb Stage II program gave the car even more power.

As days past though, I ended up selling the Cobb and got a custom tune...better still!

Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Hey corner, Your hitting the same issues that have affected us all. Simply stated the peak boost on our car stock occurs around 5800rpms and then boost tapers significantly heading into the 6k+rpm range. Not being a Mitsu designer or tech I can only guess as to why mitsu did this but I imagine it was to build a massive safety window into the car. In a stock configuration, if you don't wrag the car to hard and keep up with periodic maintenance this motor will probably last 10+ years without significant issues. Many of us however new the limitations of a stock configuration going into the purchase and had no intention of not tinkering with our new play toys. Mitsu built an awesome car and the motor can handle a lot more hp than the stock car has been tuned for but with the car on the market for only one year who really knows how some of the high horsepower applications will hold up.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the feeling. Coming from an '06 Si, which has pretty much the exact opposite power band as the X, the top end is underwhelming. In fact, early on I felt very disappointed in the acceleration as compared to the Si. The Si's frantic race to redline is like a magic spell convincing you you're going faster than you are, and going back to it now makes me glad our power's down low.

I've yet to get a tune, but if you look at the dyno graphs you'll gain a bunch up high. Even the factory reflashes help, so hope is not lost.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

As mentioned. A tune helps fix this, along with adding power throughout the mid and bottom ends too.

Quick Reply: Where did the top end power go? New X owner.