Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with going to the redline once a day. I mean this is an EVO right? Its not a Ford Taurus or even a Honda civic. Its silly to buy a 300+ horsepower car to drive it like my mother drives. Here is a great tip that applies to everything you ones life......

MODERATION is the key to everything! Drugs, alcohol, reving your engine. Moderate baby.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidiii
IMO there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with going to the redline once a day. I mean this is an EVO right? Its not a Ford Taurus or even a Honda civic. Its silly to buy a 300+ horsepower car to drive it like my mother drives. Here is a great tip that applies to everything you ones life......

MODERATION is the key to everything! Drugs, alcohol, reving your engine. Moderate baby.
Except for sex of course.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes I'm nice sometimes I beat the thing into submission. My car has alot of track time( Its driven very very hard at the track with the expectation of breaking) and also has 26k on it. This is my first small motor car and I'm very impressed at how well its held up! But you play hard and eventually you will pay hard oh well!

Last edited by txfoster; Feb 26, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Except for sex of course.
lol whats funny is as i was writing that i typed "sex" intially then i thought about it and hit delete delete delete..you can never have too much sex haha
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jimm
There is a reason that some racing drivers never break down and some do all the time. One difference is you learn to not stress the machine unless you need to. You still drive fast but at the same time conserve the car. Alain Prost won 4 world championshipsthis way. If it is good for racing drivers who need to go as fast as possible in cars that are DEFINATELY made to rev high and be driven hard and only need to last 200miles, why should it be different for a road car most expect to last 100,000? First thing you start doing when you have a big lead is reduce the revs.

The high RPMS fatique the rods, wear the bearings at accelerated rates, and degrade the oil among other things. Every once in a while, fine. Doing a track event? Sure....if needed to in top gear down the straights, in a draft for a pass, or if you need to stretch a gear mid corner. Doing it just going to work in the morning seems silly.
I can say I agree with most of what you said, except for the last sentence. Considering I dont drive in any professional series, driving to work or doing any other daily things is the only time I have to drive my car. I dont feel its silly at all. I actually believe its more silly for me to drive my car like it was a Nissan Versa, instead of what it is. Just wanted to ask a question.

Originally Posted by heavyD
Who holds engines at redline, we're talking about shifting at redline? There are way too many granny drivers here. The 4b11 engine wasn't designed to be babied. I run my 15 year old 3SGTE engine to redline all the time and it's never caused an issue. Same with my DSM's with 1st and 2nd gen 4G63's. These engines are stronger than you think. However bouncing off the rev limiter continuously isn't a good idea as you can get into some less than desirable lean conditions due to abrupt fuel cut.
Thank you for clarifying. I was indeed talking about shifting at Redline. You would have to be *&% idiot to hold a gear at Redline without shifting, regardless of what car it is.

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
Redline daily? No need for it imo. It's not as much fun up there anyways.
I drive my car only 4 to 6 times a month. My job is so close that I walk there everyday. Redline daily? Yes, indeed. Well, maybe not with the Evo. But when I do get the chance to drive my car I definitely drive it like I own it. And in the end it is a performance car after all.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
I can say I agree with most of what you said, except for the last sentence. Considering I dont drive in any professional series, driving to work or doing any other daily things is the only time I have to drive my car. I dont feel its silly at all. I actually believe its more silly for me to drive my car like it was a Nissan Versa, instead of what it is. Just wanted to ask a question.
I drive my car hard sometimes...just not between stop lights. There are great roads near my house and some back home with no police, little traffic and a few places where you can stretch your legs. For little thrills on normal commutes, I push it on on ramps and off ramps...alot of the fun is just carrying speed and holding a drift, neither require redlining the engine. All that said, I still stay below red line for the most part. I have put 100K plus on every car I have ever owned and have had never had a major failure. Maybe it is just habits I picked up actually racing cars where you conserved the car as much as possible so that you made sure you made it to the end.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

I also came from a honda's B series engine which have different engine characteristic than the 4B11 or 4G63. honda's torque and power lies on the higher end of the powerband as for the mitsu, they are peaking at the mid of the power band. In Hondas, that pitchy sweet tune of the VTEC makes the driver feels he's driving fast but in reality there is no torque unless you hit the VTEC range upto the redline.

As for your question, Yes you can drive it everytime at redline provided that you know how to maintain your car. Race cars, need to be checked everytime they track or sometimes need to rebuild the engine. Since most of the Evo owners doesn't keep it longer most of the time (i.e. 5yrs), those wear and tear of engine internals are not felt in that duration.

but think of this, do you really need that torque and power in daily driving? It will just lead you to more tickets i guess.....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

If you don't redline it regularly,it's going to break.lol.Its ok to do it ,just not all the time.I like doing it when I get on the freeway.I redline it all the way to like 90mph and then slow down so I don't get a ticket.Insurance already sucks with my driving record.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matias04374
If you don't redline it regularly,it's going to break.lol.Its ok to do it ,just not all the time.I like doing it when I get on the freeway.I redline it all the way to like 90mph and then slow down so I don't get a ticket.Insurance already sucks with my driving record.

Damn those freakin' CHPs!!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jimm
RPMs kill engines. Even in racecars, you only rev when you have to. NO need to redline all the time unless you are at the track.
give me a break. Dont post if you dont know what your talking about.

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Wow...

I really hope this was a joke.
hope your right....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:20 PM

yeah i dont redline all the time...if i get on it its occasionally and i shift it at 6500...i hardly go to red line unless im smoking the crap out of the guy next to me at the stop light lol.....most of the time i keep my cobb ap in economy mode anyway...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

In the K20 engine, you had to rev the hell out it to get to the power band; you achieve same in the X well below redline. In short, there is no point in doing this for DD.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
u fail. dumb question. go back to a honduh
nice to see the constructive and thoughtful advice.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Well I was driving home today and I was driving the car just a tad harder then usual. Since the X is torquey you really dont need to push it hard to get where your going, but Im used to redlining my cars. As I drove the X to around 7k RPMs in each gear I felt like a strange pulsing or vibration. The power wasnt being cut off, though. It kept pulling all the way to 7k RPM, just with the strange feeling as a had my foot on the gas pedal.
Which brings me to my question. Is it a bad idea to constantly redline to 4B11 in the X? I know its a new engine and all, but I know there are a lot of X owners out there who have had their car a lot longer then I have. Im going on my 3rd month. Please understand that Im coming from 3 K20 powered Hondas, which I constantly redline past 8k RPMs on a daily basis, and did not have one single problem with any of the 3. For some reason I feel like I cant treat the X the same way. Maybe Im wrong. I hope Im wrong. What do you guys have to say?
Name:  15393194136.gif
Views: 0
Size:  619.7 KB
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by accrane
give me a break. Dont post if you dont know what your talking about..
Anyone that has ever been around professional racing will tell you that in any circuit racing of any substantial length, you start saving rpms if you can. Shift a little early etc.and racecar engines are rebuilt between every event.

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?