Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS Intake Shield to fit on Cobb SF Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Intake Shield to fit on Cobb SF Intake?

Pretty much what the title was...will the AMS intake heat shield fit on the Evo when the Cobb SF intake is installed? I dont really want to make one my self thats why i was wondering if the ams one will fit on there. Any feedback???
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:50 AM

anyone????
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you post a picture of a Cobb intake install, I can make a guess. It basically mounts at an angle between the stock airbox bracket post that sticks out into the engine bay and the stock airbox's mount point on the fender behind the headlights.
Old May 3, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BUMP.

Does anyone know. I ordered a COBB SF Intake System as well. I am not sure if I will have issues with the COBB intake, but I want to see as a precaution.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:57 PM

just ordered the ams hear shield since it was 40 bucks and hoping it works with my harmon motive intake.... will find out very soon!!!!
Old May 6, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Take some pics for us. Please

It look's like it should work fine.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

2 People use the AMS shield on the Harmann intake
Old May 6, 2009, 07:12 AM

still have not recieved it but i was looking at some pictures and i see that one of the mounting points is on the LICP fastening hanger which only comes on the STOCK LICP... i have the ams LICP and it does not have that point... seems strange especially when you install the AMS LICP the stock airbox and brackets have to go out.... interested in seeing how it comes out... will take some pics and post them...
Old May 6, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phantom09
still have not recieved it but i was looking at some pictures and i see that one of the mounting points is on the LICP fastening hanger which only comes on the STOCK LICP... i have the ams LICP and it does not have that point... seems strange especially when you install the AMS LICP the stock airbox and brackets have to go out.... interested in seeing how it comes out... will take some pics and post them...
Old May 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

do you even need the shield? why not run your cobb as-is?
Old May 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antics22
do you even need the shield? why not run your cobb as-is?
I think it's about idling issues with the open filter.

Directly from COBB.

Originally Posted by COBB TUNING
I am unaware of any idling issues, but I will inquire with the tuners. We have seen issues like this on some other cars like the WRX and STI, however, so the same could be true for the EVO X. However, a baffle in front of the filter could help ameliorate the situation a bit.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea, I remember seeing that waay back, but i believe it was also isolated to certain intakes... To be completely honest, I think the idling issue was more of a viral phenomenon and its actually not as widespread of an issue as most think.

My 2 cents is: run it first as-is and see if it idles funny. if it does, THEN get the shield. Also, figure out if its the factory reflash that you need, or whether the "idle" fluctuations are actually just the AC condenser coming turning on and off.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antics22
yea, I remember seeing that waay back, but i believe it was also isolated to certain intakes... To be completely honest, I think the idling issue was more of a viral phenomenon and its actually not as widespread of an issue as most think.

My 2 cents is: run it first as-is and see if it idles funny. if it does, THEN get the shield. Also, figure out if its the factory reflash that you need, or whether the "idle" fluctuations are actually just the AC condenser coming turning on and off.
Truth. I do not really have terrible idling issues with my car. I run the COBB AP Stg. map. Runs great. We will see with the COBB hardpipe, COBB turbo inlet, and COBB SF intake. It would have been nice for COBB to release their airbox. But will not be happening in this economy market.

Although people are buying parts for the EVO left and right.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I had a chance to talk to Tim Bailey at Surgeline Tuning, one of our COBB Premier Facilities. Basically, any short ram can encounter a slight varience in the idle when the AC or radiator fans kick on. There is no way to tune for this as it is an intermitent issue and is mechanical in nature. A baffle would help this issue or an "ice box" around the filter element to block the cross-flow of air from the radiator fans.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old May 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly, everyone who has a CAI, turn on your AC and see what happens.

Quick Reply: AMS Intake Shield to fit on Cobb SF Intake?