Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

international bankwire?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scorke
Is not sketchy as long as you wait till you HAVE the money.
Only if you wait until you have the money + 30 days, which is how long the bank has to flag the transfer as fraudulent and come after you to recover the full amount. Considering the amount of money involved, you can be sure that the bank will spend the time tracking you down to recover it if you withdraw and close the account.

Originally Posted by C_LosEvo
When the funds clear and get deposited in your account you are fine. The bank will always verify funds before they make it available to you. If your still not sure speak to your bank.
That only verifies the funds are there at the time of the transaction. The account holder is provided 30 days to contest a fraudulent transaction. Should that occur, the bank can come after you for it even if you've withdrawn it.

The one thing to note is it can't be reversed just because the guy changed his mind. It would have to be something along the lines of the buyer using stolen bank account information to make the purchase. That's the only way the reversal is permitted. You may be OK, but be careful.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Jun 1, 2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok well i will ask the bank how long it takes them to make sure the money is clear.. and ill have them right it down and sign it so i have proof its all good..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:51 PM

Well, I scoured through my old emails and found one that may be able to help you. Just a fyi though......it took me 3 months to figure out how to get the money over. Nobody seemed to know how to do it. Man what a nightmare. Anyway, here is the relevant snippet from the last email on the topic that I have. These are the instructions that were given to NatWest UK to get the money over:

Incoming Wires:
No charge to member.

Wire funds to: Southwest Corporate Federal Credit Union
7920 Beltline Road
Dallas, TX 75240
RT# (ABA) 311990511

For Credit to: Texans Credit Union
Acct #: xxxxxxxxxx
ABA #: yyyyyyyyyy

Funds will be placed into the member's checking (75) account unless otherwise specified on the

So Southwest Corporate Fed.... was the clearing house for me. That was the first step into the US. Once they get it then it's a no brainer to wire it to any US bank from there. I think my problem was that I was in a credit union and not a major bank (like BoA or Citibank etc.). If you're in one of the big ones it may be alot simpler.

If you are a CU member then I guess you can just use Southwest as the first step into the country. The ABA # is accurate for that bank.

GOod luck.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Only if you wait until you have the money + 30 days, which is how long the bank has to flag the transfer as fraudulent and come after you to recover the full amount. Considering the amount of money involved, you can be sure that the bank will spend the time tracking you down to recover it if you withdraw and close the account.

That only verifies the funds are there at the time of the transaction. The account holder is provided 30 days to contest a fraudulent transaction. Should that occur, the bank can come after you for it even if you've withdrawn it.

The one thing to note is it can't be reversed just because the guy changed his mind. It would have to be something along the lines of the buyer using stolen bank account information to make the purchase. That's the only way the reversal is permitted. You may be OK, but be careful.
Yep...there is alot of things you have to watch out for. I have a friend that works at a bank and she said even cashiers checks aren't safe. It can take them up to 10 days to clear. And guess who is on the hook once the goods are gone
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:56 PM
Account Disabled

my bank uses bankers bank of the west as the correspondent bank!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. If he says he is going to send more than the correct amount. Then asks you to send back the other amount - scam.

2. They have Evos in Europe.

3. If fishy, walk away.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:14 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
why can't he fly to the US and check the evo before making the purchase?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just like some other said already, verify through a bank rep that the money is cleared. Also, if the guy comes back with any excuses on why he needs to use another type of payment, just let the sale go and move on.

Hopefully this is all legit for you. Just curious, why would he be purchasing an EVO from abroad?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Very good chance this IS a SCAM. I have a lot of Internet experience ( I work from home online ) and have seen many scams like this. Even if you get the money and withdraw it you could still end up getting screwed and having to give the money back/repay the bank.

I would NOT proceed.

Last edited by smoothevo; Jun 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
no this is thru ebay... wouldnt the bank know if the money is counterfeit when they receive it??
That's the common misconception that most scammers thrive upon: If a bank handles everything, shouldn't it be legit?

The short answer is no. When dealing with electronic funds, there are delays and processes that the money has to go through to go from Point A to Point B. Your bank might receive the money, your account might even show the correct amount. But until everything clears, you're still responsible for the funds if you withdraw and it suddenly gets retracted by the buyer's bank for whatever reason.

Unless the buyer is going to drive over the ocean, did he even set up a method to ship the car? His cost or yours? Did he speak/write with broken English? Or use words that 99% of the free world don't use anymore?

Basically, it comes down to this: ARE YOU WILLING TO MAKE A $30,000 GAMBLE?

Sell it locally. At least you can trace them back to their address and give them a beatdown if they try to scam you. Tons of folks are looking for EVO X's.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
1. If he says he is going to send more than the correct amount. Then asks you to send back the other amount - scam.

2. They have Evos in Europe.

3. If fishy, walk away.
They have evos in Europe. Ding ding ding! SCAM

I was in a similar situation when trying to sell my computer on ebay. Why would you send it overseas? Sell it to someone here so you don't have to worry about all this nonsense. The only reason i could see someone selling it overseas for is if you are getting offered more than its worth, in which case it is probably a scam anyway.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

his evo x is a salvaged evo hes selling ofr 17k that doesnt go into reverse thats why he cant sell it here
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:55 PM
Account Disabled

not that i cant sell it here.. jus ppl kept low balling me.. he has set up a way to ship the car.. his english is really good.. he doesnt talk like a scammer at all.. we will see how it goes..
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
not that i cant sell it here.. jus ppl kept low balling me.. he has set up a way to ship the car.. his english is really good.. he doesnt talk like a scammer at all.. we will see how it goes..
I hate to say it but you are a perfect candidate for a scam. You are way to trusting and should head the advice that has been given. I hope it works out for you but don't be surprised if you get the short end of the stick.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol "his English is good -- he's doesn't sound like a scammer"

as if a scammer has bad english.

I got some magic beans for sale, if you'd like some of those.

Quick Reply: international bankwire?