Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X and Grand Theft Auto

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X and Grand Theft Auto

how easy/difficult is it to drive off an Evo X without a key? my X currently has the FAST key system, and although it "feels" secure, i guess there's always a bit of uncertainty that's been bothering me, particularly after my white type r got stolen and stripped bare some seven odd years ago. i'm planning for a lojack system soon as well, but could the X be potentially driven off without a key, such as hotwire, etc.?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good question? how easy is it to steal the X? should we invest in a LoJack?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
From what I have seen in other cars, the fastkey probably has a transponder in it that only allows the car to start when it is near the car. Thus it would be more secure than just having a regular key, since hotwiring it would require bypassing the kill switch attached to the transponder in the car rather than just hooking a slide hammer to the key hole and tugging it out or cracking the column and hooking the wires together (I am assuming that is how they do it, from what I have seen in movies ). But no car is jack-proof, so if lojack gives you some piece of mind then it is probably worth the cost.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

The fast key will only let you turn the ignition if the key is IN THE CAR. I had my key in my pocket standing outside my drivers side door and my friend (sitting in the passenger seat) couldn't turn the ignition on. So as far as stealing it, I think its the exact same as any other car, because if the fast key doesn't work, you can still use a normal key, which makes the ignition just like any other normal car.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:09 AM

Compared to the ITR, I would imagine the X is a lot harder to steal due largely to the immobilizer. My 2000 Civic Si was stolen in 05 and it was a joke how easy it was to take. While the thieves have discovered that a standalone EMS in newer Hondas like the S2000 and Civic Si can bypass the immobilizer, I'm not sure if this would work on the X. My STi had a dedicated unit for the immobilizer, which I'm assuming makes the standalone useless in disabling it. If the X is the same and there is a dedicated unit for the immobilizer than I would feel pretty confident someone is not driving off in my X too easily. If a thief wants the car though, they will get it somehow, ultimately towing it somewhere and letting it sit until they are sure it doesn't have LoJack. In this situation, having LoJack will be the difference between a stripped car and one returned with minor damage.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

lol immobilizer that is what I meant

And as for the regular key working, it probably has a transmitter in the regular key otherwise it will not start (my IX has one, which is why you have to do the twisting and swapping keys dance to program new keys)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
lol immobilizer that is what I meant

And as for the regular key working, it probably has a transmitter in the regular key otherwise it will not start (my IX has one, which is why you have to do the twisting and swapping keys dance to program new keys)
oh yeah, some keys have the transponder chip on the key grip area, usually rubber. but the one on the FAST key is all metal...so i dunno...?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe they can implant it in the metal?

It seems silly that they would have it in the IX and not the X

But like I said, if it makes you sleep better, just get the lojack whether you need it or not. It is only a couple hundred bucks right? Cheaper than sleeping pills
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure it can still be stolen somehow, with the right knowledge. I got lojack installed on mine
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Fast keys/ immobilizers and anything you can think of can/will be broken. Even with an evo8/9 you can comeup to a car, hot-wire it, hook up a laptop and reset the pref bit to dissable the immobilizer. Lojack is a peice of crap since you won't know the car is missing until you actually go outside to get into it. So if you are in a movie theater and i ****** your car and simply stick it into a metal container(which is Reallly not that diffucult to find), destroy the lojack the cops will never find it. Also not all cop cars can even lojack receiver equipped. Best Thing you can do is get one these www.connect2car.com and i'm not advertizing for them as i don't/never work there. I seen their product a long time ago at a few of NY meets and its very cool stuff.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

damn.. i thought this was gonna be some awesome code to unlock an evo x in grand theft auto or somethin. got me all excited for nothing...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:03 AM

I thought this thread was about the game, not the crime. However, if some crooks really want to steal your car - it will be stolen.

Fast key huh? Well, they'll just get a tow truck to tow it away fast and low key. LoJack? Sure, the thieves will 'LOL' then jack your car.

Best insurance is to buy good insurance for the car and park it in a secure enclosed garage, preferably in a safe neighborhood. As for the ITR's and Civic Si's, owning those cars are like dreams because they will be gone when you wake up.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR_Lance
damn.. i thought this was gonna be some awesome code to unlock an evo x in grand theft auto or somethin. got me all excited for nothing...
that'd be awesome, wouldn't it?

Originally Posted by Evonobox
I thought this thread was about the game, not the crime. However, if some crooks really want to steal your car - it will be stolen.

Fast key huh? Well, they'll just get a tow truck to tow it away fast and low key. LoJack? Sure, the thieves will 'LOL' then jack your car.

Best insurance is to buy good insurance for the car and park it in a secure enclosed garage, preferably in a safe neighborhood. As for the ITR's and Civic Si's, owning those cars are like dreams because they will be gone when you wake up.
i have a garage...but it's just that i'm looking to work at a downtown-ish ghetto area...and driving any good looking car in those areas is always risky i think i would want something that i can track real-time...something with a proximity warning. not by some lame remote, but by e-mail or SMS text...monthly service sort of thing. think it's worth it?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

As others have stated, anything can be stolen...just depends on the skill level of the thief.

I'd just make sure to have a good insurance policy.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
I'm sure it can still be stolen somehow, with the right knowledge. I got lojack installed on mine
Same - I got LoJack installed just to sleep a little more peacefully at night 'cos my X is parked on the driveway. Car cover can only do so much if the thieves are familiar with the neighborhood.

Quick Reply: Evo X and Grand Theft Auto