Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Let's have a thread that posts fixes for the most common Evo X rattles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
This driver's door one is the worst. It sounds to be near the seat belt adjustment. We have to find out exactly what it is and how to fix it... Without punching it.
I got that, but only when the ambient is more than 90F outside and/or the car has been in the sun. The black interior really gets warm. There is something tinny in the passenger door at 70 mph also.

The glove box rattle was easily fixed by sticking a couple of strips of adhesive black foam on the inside of the left side of it to keep tension on the latches.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by macPSU
My most recent, and most annoying rattle is from the driver's side seatbelt area on the B pillar. I think I've read about this one, but I just got it, and it sucks.
I have this one and I HATE it. Its so aggravating because its right up there by your ear. I move the seatbelt adjustment up and down usually until I can't hear it anymore.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
This driver's door one is the worst. It sounds to be near the seat belt adjustment. We have to find out exactly what it is and how to fix it... Without punching it.

Bro, take it to a audio shop... have them check your door.. I had this rattle on driver side too... took it to a audio shop and immediately no more rattles... seem like it is the locking mechanisim metal is touching other metal part in the door... the audio guy simply put a rubber stick inbetween and no more noise...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I'm smoking crack, but I swear I read a thread before from a guy having the rattle in his driver door. He took it to the dealership and found out there was a bolt loose. Got it tightened and everything was fine. Anyone else remember that thread? I just searched for it and couldn't dig it up.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
windshield rattles now when accelerating thru gears 1-3.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:22 AM

I didnt realize I had a rattling issue from the glovebox until I drove w/o music. It's so annoying now.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another angle of the rattle problem: what mods will cause rattles? Obviously any exhaust who's tone is the same as the resonating frequency of anything in the cabin. And motor mounts. What else? Obviously adding any power will add engine movement that needs to go somewhere, but somethings are more obvious than others! Is it worth identifying some common upgrades known to cause rattles, and look into the various manufacturer options from this angle?

What all engine mounts are available? Which ones are the most gentle without being worthless?

How about exhaust? Seems like the new buscar option won't cause any additional rattle. Any others?

edit: lowering springs/coilovers, wheels/tires... all can add vibration

Last edited by blk-majik; Jul 21, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Scotch brand self-stick rubber pads for 3M at Walmart. I got the clear ones. Put 1 at top corners of glove box. Shuts a little tighter, no more squeak! Just a repost of what i did previously to end that glovebox squeak.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:57 PM

The only rattle I currently have is the one in the driver's side door. At first I thought it was coming from the tweeter, but I could never pinpoint it. Maybe I'll look around the seatbelt adjustment area. It's pretty annoying and I'd like to get it taken care of asap!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
i did the same with my glovebox but i stucked 3m double sided tape.
i have the drivers door rattle and thats it.
Double sided? Doesn't that make the glove box just a little hard to open???

I had a bad rattle under the dash that turned out to be a bolt that was halfway loose. I still have a rattle near the windshield on the passenger side that I can hear even over the stereo. It also creaks when I pull away from a stop.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:43 PM

Where was the halfway loose bolt under the dash?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

I used circular felt adhesive pads found at your local wal mart to rid myself of the glove-box rattle, their black and unnoticeable, they look almost factory! I placed them near the edges of the glove-box door and glove-boy it's self and it's done wonders! Only real rattle I've had, thus far.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:39 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

God the one on the driver's side area is driving me way crazy now. I can't pinpoint where it is but it sounds like it's near the steering wheel. Drove to work this morning knocking **** in the car to try and make it stop ha ha ha ha ha

I'll look for that bolt at lunch...any tips on where it is UFO?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an actual *squeak* inside what seems like the driver's side door. Is this what you guys are talking about? I'd take a rattle over a squeak any day.

It was driving me crazy on a long trip a few months back, and I ended up punching the crap out of it while cursing the POS interior quality... would have been a funny sight for any witnesses. Too bad it did no good, and I still can't pinpoint it. It also happens infrequently, which doesn't make it easier.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

i can only really hear the glovebox, b pillar/seatbelt, front passenger door rattles when i have my radio on. stock oem non rockford fosgate unit. i have the bass to 4 or 5. when music's on, it's not as annoying because it's continuously loud and it drowns out the rattles.

but when i listen to talk radio, it bugs the **** out of me. guy voices and lower freqs. sets rattles off like crazy. so everytime a dude talks, it would rattle. i rarely drive the car without the radio on...but on the few occassions that i do, i don't really notice too much noises....the glovebox buzzes slightly, but nothing to an annoying degree. i think i will go out and buy those furniture feet pads and stick one on.