Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Let's have a thread that posts fixes for the most common Evo X rattles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I have an actual *squeak* inside what seems like the driver's side door. Is this what you guys are talking about? I'd take a rattle over a squeak any day.

It was driving me crazy on a long trip a few months back, and I ended up punching the crap out of it while cursing the POS interior quality... would have been a funny sight for any witnesses. Too bad it did no good, and I still can't pinpoint it. It also happens infrequently, which doesn't make it easier.
Yes, this. WE MUST FIND THIS ONE!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have this one?

I self-fixed the glovebox rattle, that's no longer a problem, but here is a different one...

The driver door "rattles", but only when the window is open. If the window is closed, I don't hear anything. When it is open, it's not really a rattle, but more like "something is going to break soon". If I hit a bump on the road, it sounds like the window is about to shatter... The window seems fine, nothing is obviously wrong from the outside, but I really don't feel like taking apart my door even though I know that's probably what I'll have to do.

Anyone?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xPRimNT

I self-fixed the glovebox rattle, that's no longer a problem, but here is a different one...

The driver door "rattles", but only when the window is open. If the window is closed, I don't hear anything. When it is open, it's not really a rattle, but more like "something is going to break soon". If I hit a bump on the road, it sounds like the window is about to shatter... The window seems fine, nothing is obviously wrong from the outside, but I really don't feel like taking apart my door even though I know that's probably what I'll have to do.

Anyone?
I think this might be normal, when I close my doors with my windows partially down, it sounds like they are going to fall out.. all the way up or all the way down no issues.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
I think this might be normal, when I close my doors with my windows partially down, it sounds like they are going to fall out.. all the way up or all the way down no issues.
I think the window mechanisms are just cheap. Mine do that as well, and also make nice clicking sounds on the way up. The window motors on my old '98 Civic are more robust, and those are known for their high failure rate
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by xPRimNT

Anyone?
I had the same problem, it's a loose bolt in window mechanism, and relatively easy to fix. There's a TSB to fix it, I don't remember the number, but if you do a search in the forum I'm sure you can find it.

EDIT: found it... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6922957-post1.html
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:19 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcboosted
Where was the halfway loose bolt under the dash?
It was one of the bolts (with washer) in the metal frame that goes underneath the steering wheel near the fuse box. Had to remove the plastic under the steering wheel to get to it.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Td66
Scotch brand self-stick rubber pads for 3M at Walmart. I got the clear ones. Put 1 at top corners of glove box. Shuts a little tighter, no more squeak! Just a repost of what i did previously to end that glovebox squeak.
Can you post a picture? Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Here you go

Originally Posted by RussellM
TSB-09-42A-004 Rattle from Doors. Loose Window Bolts - 08-09 Lancer, EVO X, SPORTBACK

Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:58 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

no rattles here....but i only have 750 miles on mine...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome, thanks guys!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by dyno
Here you go
Thanks. But my rattle is from the glove box. I tried various stuff and the rattle is still there.

Can someone post pictures of their fixes of glove box rattle? Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I turn up the stereo.
best solution so far ! I do the same
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Where do we get the bolts for that door rattle fix?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best rattle that I bet everyone has that owns a GSR is the dreaded shifter cable rattle when driving above 60 mph on 5th gear. The only temporary fix is to use your hand and push the shifter to the left or right while driving to stop the rattling. LOL
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:07 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
The best rattle that I bet everyone has that owns a GSR is the dreaded shifter cable rattle when driving above 60 mph on 5th gear. The only temporary fix is to use your hand and push the shifter to the left or right while driving to stop the rattling. LOL
Mine does it near redline in every gear. You can ziptie the cables together (not all the way snug) which allegedly fixes it.