Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clunking sound from passenger side rear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have some clunking noise that comes from the front of the car when im going at very low speeds say in the parking lot, but it only happens occasionally...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
i have some clunking noise that comes from the front of the car when im going at very low speeds say in the parking lot, but it only happens occasionally...
If you have an MR, that's your transmission, and is normal.

In all Evo X, the ABS makes slight clunking noises at low speeds, even when the brakes aren't applied.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

Went to pick up my cabin filter at the dealer on Friday, and had a chat with one of the service writers. He said, "let's go for a ride", and we did.

I'll be damned, with him in the car, no noise. He went to the backseat, and no noise. Nothing.

Understandably, I was frustrated. I setup an appointment to take it in on Monday, though, and he said that they would investigate further. Of course, right when I drove away, the clunking was back.

I took my wife for a ride, and sure enough, no clunking when there was a passenger in the car, whether in the front or the back. Weird. At least I'm not crazy.

So, dropped the car off this morning, with instructions to have the tech go for a ride _with no passengers_. Sure enough, they called me and said that they can clearly hear the issue. Unfortunately, with no passenger in the back to "pinpoint" the sound, it's hard to diagnose.

But, they're going to keep working on it, to their credit, and they may find a solution.

Honestly, I've been pretty pleased with the service that I've gotten at this dealership, Gillman Mitsubishi South. The service writer that I've been working with, Kevin, has been more than helpful, and has gone out of his way to help me out. I'm pretty impressed.

--michael
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Update:

Went to pick up my cabin filter at the dealer on Friday, and had a chat with one of the service writers. He said, "let's go for a ride", and we did.

I'll be damned, with him in the car, no noise. He went to the backseat, and no noise. Nothing.

Understandably, I was frustrated. I setup an appointment to take it in on Monday, though, and he said that they would investigate further. Of course, right when I drove away, the clunking was back.

I took my wife for a ride, and sure enough, no clunking when there was a passenger in the car, whether in the front or the back. Weird. At least I'm not crazy.

So, dropped the car off this morning, with instructions to have the tech go for a ride _with no passengers_. Sure enough, they called me and said that they can clearly hear the issue. Unfortunately, with no passenger in the back to "pinpoint" the sound, it's hard to diagnose.

But, they're going to keep working on it, to their credit, and they may find a solution.

Honestly, I've been pretty pleased with the service that I've gotten at this dealership, Gillman Mitsubishi South. The service writer that I've been working with, Kevin, has been more than helpful, and has gone out of his way to help me out. I'm pretty impressed.

--michael

Bro, I really hope you can find out the problem..
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:19 AM

how do you get good service at gillman they are dicks when i go there
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
A bunch of dealerships around here have a little rumble-strip "obstacle course". If you can find something like that, throw a friend in the trunk and drive around. It might at least give you an idea of what direction to look.
HAHAH and drive 100mph on it
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmunro
how do you get good service at gillman they are dicks when i go there
I'm just reporting my experience. I remain impressed with them.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Update:

After having the car since Monday, and banging their head trying to figure out the problem (and giving me updates along the way), the dealer thinks they have found the clunking.

The strut tower brace (stock one, I have no mods) bolts were loose in the engine compartment.

I wondered how this could be, given the noise sounded like it was coming from the rear, but I do know that it's hard to tell direction of noises sometimes. But, they seem convinced that this is the problem.

OTOH, this would make sense from the fact that I only heard the clunk when there was any side loading (turning), never when the car was going straight.

The service manager will be taking my car for one last drive today to confirm the fix, and it will be ready for pickup today. Keep your fingers crossed for me...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:28 PM

Good luck. This would have driven me to drink by now, I think.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

SUCCESS!

It was the strut tower brace bolts. No more clunking.

Hope this saga helps others...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:58 PM

Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SUCCESS!

thanks for the update,which are the strut tower brace bolts?
thanks
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:06 PM

SUCCESS!

any picture for theis brace bolt?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

I recently had some clunking noise also around the passenger rear area whenever I was making a turn. I found out that it was actually the battery. As you guys should know our battery sits in the trunk. Well, the original battery brace was not designed to work with the optima batteries, so if you've had it replaced, double check the brace and tighten it. Mine needed to be tightened and I also added a couple of spacer washers for good measure.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

WTF!? I have the same clunking noise and it is driving me insane! I will try all of this and I hope that fixes my problem.

Thanks for posting this up, crazy how its so many Evo's with this problem.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound from passenger side rear