Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Rear Bumper Paint Chipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo X Rear Bumper Paint Chipping

I just got my car end of May 2009 and currently it only has 2000km's on the odo~

When I first got the car, I noticed just a bit of black between the gap where the rear bumper meets the rear fender on just one side. Now it looks somewhat bad on the passengerside and is starting to chip on the driver's side as well. Anyone else have this problem? I took it to an authorized dealer and they told me to go back to the dealer from which I purchased the car

If the original dealer blows me off, how good is the mitsubishi touch up paint pen?

Pics:
Passenger Side:

Driver's Side:

Thanks for your help guys
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Mine was doing the exact same thing. Take it into your dealership. They covered mine under warranty.

Any dealership should have to warranty the work, not just the one where you bought it.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Fight them on this issue, if it wasn't done on your behalf make sure you get them to warranty this!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

mines getting there. had that stretchy look.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Dang I guess it's not just me! Did they say what causes it? Either way I think I'll take it back to where I purchased the car from!! That's some weak paint!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Optiblue
Dang I guess it's not just me! Did they say what causes it? Either way I think I'll take it back to where I purchased the car from!! That's some weak paint!
The water based paint on these cars takes forever to dry so when they assemble the bumpers the soft paint binds in the corners where it's tight and starts to peel because it will never cure properly like a solvent based paint. It's almost 2010 and quality of automotive paint has taken a big step back over the previous decade. This is why 3M protection film has become so popular as manufactures still haven't figured out how to do a durable water based paint. Your dealer should have to cover that though as it's a known issue.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:11 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

+1 for having the same issue and the stealership repainted mine under warranty.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I
If the original dealer blows me off, how good is the mitsubishi touch up paint pen?
WTF!? Some of you people need to stand up for yourselves and stop tucking your tails inbetween your legs on some of these issues.

This should NOT happen to a new car with the miles you have on it. You need to go back to the dealership and demand them either have your car painted or replace it with a new one. If one isn't available, have them buy the car back from you and give you credit towards a new '10 or something. If they don't do anything about it, call Mitsubishi up.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

pretty much a final update.

I got a green light from the dealership after a month's wait, but I didn't have time until this week to get it repainted under warranty! All is good now! If anyone else has this problem with their mitsu's it'll be covered under warranty. It's a rare, but not uncommon problem with some of their vehicles.

Thanks for all your help
Old Nov 5, 2009, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Wow man that sucks...mine took like 2 days to get approval. Congrats though!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 05:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to the dealership and then report back. Anything from now until then is just speculation as to what might or might now be covered.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 06:08 AM
JYD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Take it to the dealership and then report back. Anything from now until then is just speculation as to what might or might now be covered.
pretty much a final update.

I got a green light from the dealership after a month's wait, but I didn't have time until this week to get it repainted under warranty! All is good now! If anyone else has this problem with their mitsu's it'll be covered under warranty. It's a rare, but not uncommon problem with some of their vehicles.

Thanks for all your help
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:24 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
is it mostly affecting white ones?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

After a year and a half, I've finally noticed some wrinkle on my OB 2008. I'm not losing any sleep due to about 3 other roughed up spot on my car- it's definitely far from pristine. My inclination is also to never repaint if you don't have to.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ikt
is it mostly affecting white ones?
Nope. I got it on the passenger side but I rectified it before paint peeled which is the key. When it starts happening you will see small strings of paint coming from the crack where the bumper meets the body. What happens is the paint continues to rub until it starts ripping the bumper paint as in the first pic above. I used a scalpel knife and trimmed the binding paint, pulling it out of the crack carefully without pulling bumper paint off. Then I followed up with touch up clear coat to seal it and it looks perfect.

Last edited by heavyD; Nov 5, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X Rear Bumper Paint Chipping