Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My Evo X is hesitating/bucking at high RPMs...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:05 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Evo X is hesitating/bucking at high RPMs...

I read about this problem with the Evo Xs and that you have to take it to the dealership to get it solved. Well I took mine in about a month ago and they said we'll reflash the ECU to fix it. Well they drove it around and couldn't replicate the problem so they didn't flash it.

Well now the problem is still happening, and yesterday it was bad enough to make me park the car. If you go above 3k RPMs while giving it a good amount of gas it simply bucks and hesitates. My wife was like WTF is this, you paid $30k for this car, make them fix it. I agree!!!

What if they drive it again and can't replicate the problem and won't reflash it?? Any tips on getting them to do it? I don't want to drive my car around in this shape.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're describing the common issue with the stock tune, then consider getting an aftermarket tune. that way you don't have to worry about the dealership playing with your car only to come back to tell you it is fine.....well fine compared to a montero. even with the reflash the car still blows in the power/performance department.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:52 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Yeah I know, I don't want the reflash for performance, I want it to stop the extreme hesitation and bucking at high RPMs. The car feels like it's breaking it's so violent when it happens.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
take it to the dealer - tell them there is a TSB regarding this and ask them to upgrade the ECU with the newest firmware from mitsubishi.

You are probably running 52680015, you need 52680018 (but 20 would be better)

btw - if you get a tune you will be like 'holy ****' - the X really becomes an Evo with a tune...
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:11 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

I do plan on getting it tuned, I just don't have the money right now. I don't think it's unreasonable to get the hesitation fixed though!!!!

Originally Posted by tephra
take it to the dealer - tell them there is a TSB regarding this and ask them to upgrade the ECU with the newest firmware from mitsubishi.

btw - if you get a tune you will be like 'holy ****' - the X really becomes an Evo with a tune...
I told them this and they said they would reflash it. Then 3 days later they called and said it wasn't hesitating with them and they're not gonna do it.

Does anyone have a PDF of 08-13-011 TSB? I'm gonna print it out and show it to them.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tephra

+10000

Your car is getting choked up and needs a tune. The 0015 roms have caused severe misfires on our dyno! Either upgrade to 20 like tephra said or go for a custom tune!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Just tell them to stop flaping around and flash the damn thing...

they dont need to borrow the car - its a 5 min job...

if they refuse ask them what ROMID/version is currently loaded (they will probably need to hook the car upto the MUTIII to work it out - and then you can get them to flash it when they see its old)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:18 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

How do I get them to upgrade it to 52680020? Is there a PDF of this in a TSB? They look at me like I'm a 16 year old ricer when I ask them about this stuff even though there is a genuine problem.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

find another dealer in your area...

im looking for the tsb now.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:31 AM

just curious im picking up my new evo x tonight should i tell them to reflash it at the dealer or just pick it up and see how it runs?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP, next time the hesitation happens, maybe have your wife record a video so that you can present it to the dealer as evidence. Just a thought...
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:00 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Daskid
To the OP, next time the hesitation happens, maybe have your wife record a video so that you can present it to the dealer as evidence. Just a thought...
That's a good idea. Unfortunately it happens so quick that it'd be real hard to capture it on video. It usually stops when I shift into the next gear.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me as well I brought it in so they could test it, but they wont go high enough in the rpms to replicate it so they wouldn't do anything for me. So I complained to the dealership owner and now they wanna be my best friend and do anything they can for me. They say it has plenty of power, but what do they have to base that on??? there cavelier? lol I have the COBB AP anyways now
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

They refused me as well, the car literally falls on it's face if I get down on it... They said the car needs to a pull a certain code for them to re-flash it! I might just have to call the dealership owner!!!