Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good pictures and good on your dealership for eating the cost of that, it would have been a real mistake for them to fight you on that. Bad on Mitsubishi for refusing to do anything about it though.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xPRimNT
Yikes.

Glad to hear that you managed to handle the mishap alright, and that it is being taken care of.

On the bright side, I would much rather have my gas pedal break than the brakes .

Good luck with the replacement.
Speaking of which, can someone go out and look to see what your brake pedal is made of? I would imagine it is metal.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:11 PM

that looks like freakin plastc in the pic. i sure hope not
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spedfrek
that looks like freakin plastc in the pic. i sure hope not
He did say it was plastic. I own an x and didn't realize the pedal arm was made of plastic. I definately worry now about this happening to me.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Thats the defininition of misfortune. You have the misfortune of driving a car with a faulty pedal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misfortune

Anyway even the plastic pedals on the 8's were weak and I thought those would break as well but so far so good.
I quoted "misfortune" and referenced it in the context in which it was used against me. I do thank you for the dictionary link though.

Just curious...your EVO 8 has plastic pedals? I just went and looked at my 8 and they are definately steel.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

how could mitsu NOT WARRANTY THAT?!?! The damn thing is plastic...
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:18 PM

I think that you should call the NHTSA and file a report with them. Make sure you call Mitsubishi and tell them you are calling the NHTSA to report the issue.
I agree that it is a saftey issue and something Mitsubishi should look in to. I know this was a common problem with late 90's ford explorers, the bracket holding the pedal breaks away from the firewall. Of course Ford never issued a recall, just a TSB and they were happy to fix it as long as the customer paid for the repair.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:18 PM

A good deal of cars, if not most, have plastic gas pedal arms nowadays. Some even have plastic clutch pedals (later E36 BMW's for instance). It's a way of saving weight.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Here is one more to show the structural support. Notice how the OTHER side is solid. Where the pedal broke there is no solid backing and the cross bracing becomes thin in this area.

Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
how could mitsu NOT WARRANTY THAT?!?! The damn thing is plastic...

You can say THAT again. In a day and age when even potato chips have a quality assurance policy and most everything we buy has some sort of workmanship guarantee, how can you deny that a gas pedal breaking off wouldn't fall under a quality and workmanship warranty?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Revox
You can say THAT again. In a day and age when even potato chips have a quality assurance policy and most everything we buy has some sort of workmanship guarantee, how can you deny that a gas pedal breaking off wouldn't fall under a quality and workmanship warranty?
Because someone told someone and they told someone that told someone that I was racing. This is what I was told by the dealer. I have not talked to Mitsubishi customer service.

I could have had my dick hanging out the window hitting mail boxes with it at 150mph and I would think that this part should be covered for safety reasons. It isn't hard to do the right thing. Replacing a part with a design flaw seems to be the right thing to do. Mitsubishi thinks otherwise.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
Here is one more to show the structural support. Notice how the OTHER side is solid. Where the pedal broke there is no solid backing and the cross bracing becomes thin in this area.

It would be really hard to say that the change from a solid structure to the weave pattern is what caused a fracture in that spot. Certainly the design would have been weaker but is it enough to call it the only cause?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, all I can say is that I have been hearing nothing but complaining from new Evo X owners...makes me wonder why people didnt wait til next year when they fix all the bugs...
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
Wow, all I can say is that I have been hearing nothing but complaining from new Evo X owners...makes me wonder why people didnt wait til next year when they fix all the bugs...
Make no mistake, my car has been incredible to drive other than this. It does need a reflash in a very bad way, but as far as Mitsubishi improving the fit adn finish and performance of the car, they hit a home run.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAG
I was also told that they have some kind of information that I was racing the car and that they would be voiding my warranty altogether. I was at the dealer 10 minutes later to resolve that issue. My warranty is in tact. That was some sort of threat.
So, if the gas pedal breaks while you're passing a car, Mitsubishi will threaten to void your warranty. Kind of a new low for

And who the heck makes a plastic gas pedal? I am assuming a bean counter is responsible for that one. Oi.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)