Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You forgot the paint issue EVERYONE is having EVO's all the way to the DE.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

That has to be a fluke. Even made out of plastic, that looks plenty strong for the intended usage. By the time you are able to put enough force on the pedal to come anywhere near the breaking point of that plastic, the bottom of the pedal should be resting against something solid that absolutely prevents you from exerting any real leverage on the rest of the assembly.

As for Mitsubishi refusing to warranty it ... that's laughable, but predictable. I guess they just don't understand cause and effect. Someone might tell them this is one of the reasons they're having so much trouble selling cars these days...
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Still I remember removing the clutch assembly on my 1994 Mustang and the arms were made of steel, the whole unit may have weighed 20 pounds, just another way for mitsu to cut cost!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

with all the others on tracks in japan...this has to be a isolated incident. maybe all the tuning companies noticed this and have replaced with something stronger...paper mache maybe?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
I quoted "misfortune" and referenced it in the context in which it was used against me. I do thank you for the dictionary link though.

Just curious...your EVO 8 has plastic pedals? I just went and looked at my 8 and they are definately steel.

Used against you? What did you want me to call it, a win? Strange perspective on things man. Everyone else has been calling it misfortune as well. Again, its a very good thing your pregnant wife was not driving it and that no one was hurt, which would have made it a catastrophe. I was just trying to offer my support and try to get your hopes up.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 9, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

I really like the X but so many issue's weather small or large is hampering my willingness to purchase the car next week! It's one of those things, I'm not going to race my X, probably not even mod the car, I'm looking forward to it's handing more so than anything! I just want my DAUGHTER and I to be SAFE while in the car it's self!!!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Resist the syst
Still I remember removing the clutch assembly on my 1994 Mustang and the arms were made of steel, the whole unit may have weighed 20 pounds, just another way for mitsu to cut cost!
The Mustang also had cables for everything, including the clutch, and needed strong pedals. Ahh the good old days...

You did inspire me to look at my STI -- Subaru used steel. Not that it should really matter.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

At first I didn't want to believe you, but after seeing the pictures I'm speechless. I've never in all my life seen plastic used for a gas pedal (EVER). I have had some minor issues with my GTS, the overall car being built dirt cheap! I was going to purchase the X next week, I may reconsider doing so now! I have a 2 year old daughter I have to think about, what is Mitsubishi thinking??? Family dollar paint, K Mart plastic and
recycled action figures for bumpers!

Mitsubishi, if your reading this, get your crap together PRONTO! By all means I will buy an STI if these issue's aren't resolved.
Ya man, I'm sure they have engineers working in shifts round the clock to "syst-spec" the evo.

you have a problem with your gts feeling like it was built dirt cheap because you bought an economy car. Mitsu's econoboxes have always felt dirt cheap unfortunately - moreso than their competitors. Most econoboxes do feel crusty though. The GTS is definitely their finest yet though.

Take an isolated incident and call it an across the board vehicle manufacturing fault, and you can likely call any vehicle on the market defective. Many cars have plastic pedals. You can see by the structure of that pedal in the photo that if there wasn't a defect with that specific one, it should have held up just fine - its plastic but it looks like a strong trussed design. Only Drags stress test will show for certain.

Clearly, this shouldn't have happened and someone could have been seriously hurt. Thankfully, no one was. Its a serious issue for Drag and I'm sure he'll always wonder about the integrity of the gas pedal he's stepping on from here on out. Don't jump to the conclusion however that this is an issue affecting all X's. If its really that big a concern for you, then buy the focus..I mean STI, or whatever TF it is these days.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the X but so many issue's weather small or large is hampering my willingness to purchase the car next week! It's one of those things, I'm not going to race my X, probably not even mod the car, I'm looking forward to it's handing more so than anything! I just want my DAUGHTER and I to be SAFE while in the car it's self!!!

Hold off until the XI then. First year/model cars always have a lot of kinks to be worked out. I personally think this issue of the pedal is an isolated incident, but there are a number of complaints that many new owners are having. I'm not trying to hijack the thread or badmouth the X because I think its ok, but there are a number of very valid complaints that will very likely be addressed with the revised X/XI.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Oh Dear God...

I just went to check all my pedals...and they are all there intact...awsome! Once again thank you for sending the little angels to watch over me...and thank you ****subishi for making the pedals in my IX out of something stronger than plastic like metal...I guess they had to cut corners somewhere...not what one would expect from a $40K car...is it now...?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

My GTS is an ecnobox but the EVOlUTION also shares numerous parts with that ecnobox! Either way no 40k car should be doing this, I'm not going to protect Mitsubishi when their in the wrong, if that pedal were steel it would have never broke!!! I just went and checked mine, it's plastic as well but the brake pedal is steel. The STI looks nothing like a Focus, the X is by far my favorite but when you build junk and shovel it to the masses "consider yourself extinct"! I'm not going that far to say that's what Mitsubishi is doing, however I'm now in buyer beware mode!

Just like my 94 Mustang, gotta love head gaskets that blow with less than 25 miles on the car, or my Xbox 360 that's failed six times! Needless to say I no longer drive fords or support the Xbox 360. I still plan to buy the X, as I've said before I'm an Xtremist , but those feelings can slowly change if they can't produce a better car for 40k.

BTW, it's the same plastic arm being used on my GTS gas pedal which was also found on the X! Mitsubishi should be working on specs around the clock, these cars carry human lives and last time I checked you've only got one life to live!!!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

It's not a $40k car. How many times does that need to be said??
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

wow that pat is plastic?

all the cars i've driven have metal padle
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

Haha omg i gotta say this is frickin hilarious!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have checked my BMW Z4, and it is a drive-by-wire system. But the accelerator orientation is different. Rather than hanging from a support, it is firmly planted on the floor, so no matter how hard i smash the pedal it won't break.(I hope!). The other pedals (brake and clutch) are conventional, i.e. hanging type.

The previous model EVO's have a metal rod over which the pedal sits. The pedal itself is not metal, and its not that strong because once I changed to ralliart pedals, the plastic support broke off. But because the metal rod is the main support, so there is not much stress on the pedal itself. This is because IX is not drive by wire.

Hope this is a one-off incident. But at least Mitsu should know about it so that they become more careful about these matters in the future.

And finally, Mitsu should be thankful to us because we take the car to the toughest tests and do the main R&D for them so that they can build a better next model (i.e. XI and so on) using these inputs.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)