Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trading in the G37 for EvoX, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading in the G37 for EvoX, need opinions

Posted this at ChicagoZ so i thought I would get some insight from fellow EvoX owners.

Hi All, so here is my situation. My son is hitting growth spurts and isn't sitting as comfortably in the backseat as he used to. I have 3 cars right now. The G37 coupe, Trans Am, and saturn 4 door. The saturn is getting old. So that leaves me with two two door cars and I'm thinking it may be best to trade in the G for something practical. The trans am is paid free and clear and I really want to keep it for some time. Anyway, it's an 08 with 6mt, premium and nav. It has around 10k in miles. It appraises for $32,875 in the 'good' range on KBB for trade in value. There is no defects with it. I only owe about $8,300. So the difference is about $24,500 in my favor. I could get a new 08 evo GSR for around $27K providing good negotiations as there are plenty of GSRs on mitsu lots. I also could trade in the saturn for maybe an additional 1K or just sell it on my own. So I'm thinking I could basically trade in both the G and the saturn for a evo with minimum out of pocket and no loan. I kept the original exhaust, cats, and intake so that is easily revertible and could load the stock map back on using the cobb ap.

Does this sound like the best course of action?
What would you guys do?
Know anyone interested in buying a G37?
Would I be better off reverting to stock before pulling up on a mitsu lot?

I'm not set in stone with my decision, but at the same time I have a good opportunity to get into an 08 at a good price while not putting myself into a financial problem.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

i dont see you getting 32 out of the car, but thats my opinion. and i would tell them cut me a check back for atleast 5k to replace tires, and clutch on the X. you may get 10k miles out of the tires, and 15k out of the clutch. i would also purchase twm short shifter, and bushings to help the notchy tranny in the X. i will sell you my x for 28k. if it were me and i could do it over again, i would purchase a 2500 cummins with 6spd manual tranny, mega cab.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:58 AM

^keep in mind it took me about 18 months to get up to 10k miles. I don't commute to work as i fly and have a livery service drop me off at the airport. I would need it for piddling around town more then anything. I'm not looking to go crazy modding it off the bat, but some minor bolt ons and a tune would probably happen. Is the stock clutch that bad or is it how it's driven that it would start slipping after 15k miles?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:00 AM

Anyone have contacts at South Suburban Mitsu or Libertyville Mitsu in Chicago Area? Collectivly there are 6 GSR's at those dealers.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

what kinda number did you get on g37 with those mod? just curious
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

you won't find a new X GSR anywhere in Chicago below 30k, sorry.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

2008's seem to be depleted in socal (finally)..not sure about your area. My neighborhood mitsu dealer (just reopened btw) actually has a mark-up on a 2010 GSR- good luck-, but they know the supply and demand is back to normal.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

+1 ^^ I recently called Max madsen aurora and they have new 2010 X' s avail... Last week they have an PB 2008 MR.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:22 AM

There is 6 08 GSR's at two dealers in chicago. I think I can get one for less then 30K.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willizm
I think I can get one for less then 30K.
That'd be cool but when I looked 6 weeks ago all of the cars that I could find within 500 miles (including Chicago) were fully loaded (NAV, SSS, Aero, undercoating!) and they were all talking 34k. If you're looking at a used X then that's a different ball game.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by willizm
There is 6 08 GSR's at two dealers in chicago. I think I can get one for less then 30K.
pm me the dealership you went to because my friends is looking to purchase a new one ASAP!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

28 for mine is a deal!!! rare WW, with SSS package and only 11k miles!!!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you've told us enough about what you want and what's important to you. You told us about your child, but really nothing else. If it's just about the kid, the Evo will work but many other cars will work much better. Just remember that the trunk is dreadfully small and you can't carry much kid stuff. But, that didn't stop me. I have one kid and my Evo works just fine.

Tell us more about what you want out of a car and I think we can help you more
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:49 AM

^My son is in 1st grade so there is no necessity to carry around strollers and diaper bags. The trunk on the evo is way larger then the g37 is. I want a car that I can drive anywhere, any time, any weather(snow tires of coarse during winter months), that has a good amount of fun factor for a decent price. I want the versatility of a sedan, but with a kick in the pants. Also, I want a car that is mod-able with good gains. Aesthetically I like the evoX. I just got back from test driving a used one with 5K miles, SSS, and Aero packages. Guy sticker priced at $29,500 and asked me for what I want for a deal. Told him the deal with the G and said I want to trade and wash clean. Also told him that I got a quote for that price for a brand new one at Libertyville Mitsu so he needs to make it worth my while. I'm in a good position as I am not financing so buying new isn't going to give me a benefit of low financing. I will have to see what he comes back with.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

G37 is a nice car, I do not see the point of trading it in and get another compact car. I have to say the back seats of an evo x is not comfortable at all.. Plus your car isn't paid off yet; i just think choosing other options is a smarter choice since you have a sun growing up fast. By the way, getting kbb value off from a trade in or private sale is definitely impossible at this time.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Trading in the G37 for EvoX, need opinions