Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trunk Mat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Mat

Has anyone replaced their trunk mat's? What I mean is the cheap layout Mitsubishi had placed in their cars... I was thinking about changing mine. I was just wondering if anyone had done anything to theirs
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if I understand what you mean by the cheap layout. Are you talking about the particle board covered by a piece of carpet that you see on pretty well every new car these days? You could get a custom carpet piece made at a local upholstery shop up or check out an aftermarket floor matt company to see if they make something. Are you trying to make your trunk living room comfortable or something?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:49 AM

well not more comfortable, just not so cheap... I wouldn't say every new car has it, for a 30k dollar car, I would expect a bit more... The mat in the trunk does like to move around so I was looking at getting some type of cloth on top and rubber on the bottom
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

My issue is that it should be rubberized and not have that fuzzy sound insulation exposed. You should have seen how much mat lint I had to pull out from the spare tire and tool areas.

The slippery mat and putting cup holders in a 1G car like this seems to be a laugh on the engineering dept's part. I mean Jesus H. Christ...the coffee stains on the console alone...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deception
well not more comfortable, just not so cheap... I wouldn't say every new car has it, for a 30k dollar car, I would expect a bit more... The mat in the trunk does like to move around so I was looking at getting some type of cloth on top and rubber on the bottom
Pull the carpet piece out and take it to a carpet or rug shop. They will probably be able to cut you something equivalent in a high quality carpet of your choice.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 AM

i have the same problem also with the mat lint. im also looking for replacement pieces.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:07 AM

I was looking at getting a new one made, I was just wondering if anyone had done anything to their trunk before I did.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A possible OEM solution. A Ralliart trunk liner that is probably "nicer" than the stock carpet. I'm not sure if it is actually nicer, but it probably is.

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=565

Scroll down a little bit and you'll see it. They make for a trunk with and without the subwoofer.

If you have questions about it, just PM RussellM on here. He's in charge of that website and is one of the best vendors on here
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but does that Ralliart mat actually fit the EVO X? It doesn't list it as a compatible model. If you look at the regular lancer and ralliart trunk, they are a different shape since they don't have the battery back there. I doubt it fits.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wiretap
Yeah, but does that Ralliart mat actually fit the EVO X? It doesn't list it as a compatible model. If you look at the regular lancer and ralliart trunk, they are a different shape since they don't have the battery back there. I doubt it fits.
Good point. Didn't really think about that

I guess you would have to get something done at an upholstery shop. Or, hope that Mitsu comes out with a new trunk carpet as an accessory for the Evo X.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

im just going to wrap mine in suede....cheap, easy, and it will look 1,000x better
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:06 PM

I don't have interior in my trunk. This makes it easy to get to the rear suspension and jack / tire for removing at the track.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:11 AM

I took the 08 Lancer GTS trunk mat out of my old car before I traded it. It had a subwoofer too and fits well in the EVO X. It is made for the deeper trunk and not the X, but I velcro'd the excess up on the back. It looks like it belongs there, besides covering up the battery and oil access panels. I can''t post pics because I am in Iraq now.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:39 AM

Cut a piece of rug or carpet pad from Home Depot and lay it under the trunk pad. This will help keep it from sliding around.

Otherwise, unless you're keeping people back there, it really doesn't have to be that nice.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

ralliart one will not fit, i bought it when it first came out, since the ralliart doesn't have the battery in the trunk it doesn't have the extra plastic vanity pieces

Quick Reply: Trunk Mat