Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankiago
You keep referring to this... did you drive a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline or a 2005 Cobalt SS?
06 supercharged cobalt SS. Full bolt-ons, 60lb injectors, 2.8" pulley, 17.5psi. It was a really cool car. pretty quick too for the money.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture001.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...Picture007.jpg

Last edited by mjesenovec; Oct 5, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not seafoam a newer car at all. Any improvement you may feel is almost certainly placebo effect.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
I would not seafoam a newer car at all. Any improvement you may feel is almost certainly placebo effect.
it's not about feeling a difference. It's just piece of mind that my internals are clean. I dont know what kind of gas was put in it the first 3000 miles, i dont know if there is any build up. Again, i'm not discussing whether i should or shouldn't seafoam. i already did it. I just didn't know which vacuum line to use.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjesenovec
it's not about feeling a difference. It's just piece of mind that my internals are clean. I dont know what kind of gas was put in it the first 3000 miles, i dont know if there is any build up. Again, i'm not discussing whether i should or shouldn't seafoam. i already did it. I just didn't know which vacuum line to use.
Dude your internals are clean. I've seen many high mileage engines with very clean internals. As long as you are changing your oil on a regular basis your engine will stay clean. These cars run very rich so you may be able to clean out some carbon but I wouldn't use it continually as it will start to reduce the lifespan of engine seals and injectors.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by heavyD
Dude your internals are clean. I've seen many high mileage engines with very clean internals. As long as you are changing your oil on a regular basis your engine will stay clean. These cars run very rich so you may be able to clean out some carbon but I wouldn't use it continually as it will start to reduce the lifespan of engine seals and injectors.
I used to seafoam every other oil change (roughly 7k miles) on my last car, but only after it already had 25k on it. I never said I was going to seafoam my evo every 8 minutes. This is the first time i've done it, i just wanted to run a bottle of it through. I won't worry about it again for quite some time. There are some people that have seafoamed every oil change and have never had any adverse effects. I appreciate your input, but i'm not doing any damage by running one bottle of system cleaner through my car. Again, this thread was never about whether I need it or not.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

You are wasting your money then. If you really want to keep your engine clean just mix in a gallon of e85 to an almost full gas tank a couple of times a month.

We have been experimenting this with a buddies evo 9 with excellent results. The only side effect was a SLIGHTLY higher AFR when we mixed more than 2 gallons in a tank with 91 but it was well within the safe range of his tune.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:31 PM

how many evos actually have enough carbon build up to need this?

im guessing just about none
Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

just pull the hose off the brake booster and use that one
personally i would use the wynns or bg induction kit my self but its your car
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:26 AM

Was always afraid what seafoam could do to the engine
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

it wont hurt anything i just think wynns or bg does a better job
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robh

Thats what I do. I have 55k on my car and I have done it 4 times.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by cornercarver
You are wasting your money then. If you really want to keep your engine clean just mix in a gallon of e85 to an almost full gas tank a couple of times a month.

We have been experimenting this with a buddies evo 9 with excellent results. The only side effect was a SLIGHTLY higher AFR when we mixed more than 2 gallons in a tank with 91 but it was well within the safe range of his tune.
Unfortunately, I don't have an E85 station conveniently located near me. The seafoam will not hurt anything, and I'm not using it often.
Originally Posted by SLOW2.0
how many evos actually have enough carbon build up to need this?

im guessing just about none
You're probably right, but I use it anyway.
What exactly is the brake booster? I'm still a little turbo motor retarded. I'll have to read up on those kits. Never heard of them.
Originally Posted by kazyn
Was always afraid what seafoam could do to the engine
I've never had any issues with it. It's safe for anything from cars to boats, to your lawnmower, to motorcycles.
it wont hurt anything i just think wynns or bg does a better job
Hmm...i'll have to look into these...but once in a while using seafoam, doubt i'll actually need a "kit." Worth researching though. thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

unless you are opening up the engine, how do you know "the internals are clean"

in an earlier post, you said you did it for peace of mind, and that it couldn't hurt anything. I hate to break it to you, but if you have no way of telling whether or not the internals are clean, you also have no way of telling if it is doing harm... just sayin'
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by derekste
unless you are opening up the engine, how do you know "the internals are clean"

in an earlier post, you said you did it for peace of mind, and that it couldn't hurt anything. I hate to break it to you, but if you have no way of telling whether or not the internals are clean, you also have no way of telling if it is doing harm... just sayin'
That is very true, and you make a valid point. I do not know for sure that it is doing any good, or doing any harm. However, i have used seafoam multiple times and have only seen positive results. i've never heard of it hurting anything, whether it be a weedwacker or a performance vehicle. It is not designed to be harsh on anything, and i've never had an negative results. My overall point though, is that half the people in this thread are implying i'm an idiot and do not need the seafoam. I'm not saying using it is 100% necessary and my car NEEDS it. I originally asked a question about the vacuum system. I never once asked for anyone's opinion on what I should do with my car in regards to the seafoam, or whether or not I should even use it. Had I ever asked "hey all, should i seafoam my car with only 13k miles?" that would have been a different story...but I didn't. I appreciate feedback, but in the end, everyone is answering a pressing question that was never asked.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

That is very true, and you make a valid point. I do not know for sure that it is doing any good, or doing any harm. However, i have used seafoam multiple times and have only seen positive results. i've never heard of it hurting anything, whether it be a weedwacker or a performance vehicle. It is not designed to be harsh on anything, and i've never had an negative results. My overall point though, is that half the people in this thread are implying i'm an idiot and do not need the seafoam. I'm not saying using it is 100% necessary and my car NEEDS it. I originally asked a question about the vacuum system. I never once asked for anyone's opinion on what I should do with my car in regards to the seafoam, or whether or not I should even use it. Had I ever asked "hey all, should i seafoam my car with only 13k miles?" that would have been a different story...but I didn't. I appreciate feedback, but in the end, everyone is answering a pressing question that was never asked.
in the end, we're just trying to save you a couple of bucks on something that at best is benign and a waste of money, and at worst is harmful to your motor.

I think the assumption that you don't know what you are doing/might be wasting your money was made because you are asking where to get a vac source from. at that point, many of us took the liberty to let you know that you may be wasting your time and money. don't sweat it

Last edited by derekste; Oct 6, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X Seafoam