Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Outlander XLS Interior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
I guess here's my problem:

The interior issue is much, much more easily, and cheaply, solved using the aftermarket, versus some of the more glaring faults of using the Evo X as a higher performance vehicle.

For an Evo to be more powerful on the road, it requires a tune. It requires exhaust, it requires a higher flowing cat, it requires suspension parts to make it roll less, and a rear sway bar to take out some of that nasty understeer.

However, for an Evo X, even a base model GSR, to become "higher class", all it requires is a trip to a good interior shop, and a few thousand dollars.

I think nothing of dropping an FP Green on my Visa Rewards card for a nice little 2% of 1200 dollars. I think nothing of dropping an exhaust on my Visa Rewards card, for a nice little 2% of 600 dollars. I think nothing of dropping an AEM Methanol system on my Visa Rewards card for a little 2% of 300, but it seems to be almost criminal to drop, what, 1500 on my Visa Rewards card for a nice little 2% back, on a leather interior.

Interior shops have existed for years and years and years; you don't heard people COMPLAINING that they upgraded their exhaust, or COMPLAINING that they upgraded their puny, heat soak prone FMIC, so why don't people just dump the cash on the interior, and voila, be done with it all?

I mean, hell, I priced it out here locally; 1 grand will get me a nice leather re-upholstery job on my Recaros, by a very reputable, nice-prior-work local shop here in Ohio. Some people drop that on FMICs and exhausts, alone.
Because a better looking, leather covered dash with top stitched leather is a lot harder to reproduce then just getting leather seat covers at an upholstery shop. Because most people buying Lancers and Outlanders are not going to want to spend an extra 2 thousand at a custom store to spruce up their interior. Most people think buying a license plate frame and a pinstripe is heavy customization. The people on this site who would buy an FP green for a car are a small minority of the car buying public. Evo owners are a minority amongst Mitsubishi owners. Car magazines review stock cars, not modified ones. People read reviews and draw their opinions of a car based on that, even those who would modify the car later. Mitsubishi is going after the core of the market who have been told over and over again that Mitsubishis have cheap plastic interiors.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't look like that those parts would fit into the Evo either, which sucks...could have been a nice upgrade.