Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dyno records race. Where is truth?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno records race. Where is truth?

Recently, many companies loudly declare reaching a new record. Among them are fairly well-known and newly created companies. But it is not a secret that the measurement results are not Absolute. The results depend on various parameters and conditions. For example, different dyno-stands shows different results. Declaring itself not a problem, as the companies make PR on their products. But for me, at least it is strange that no one with such amazing dyno results has not achieved any meaningful time on the drag-strip. Does it mean that the dyno result is only advertising tool that have no any real life implementation? For example, as number of pixels in the camera, which have no relation with photo quality. Or companies play among themselves to comfort their pride?

What do you think?

Last edited by Boba; May 13, 2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

I agree dyno records are a bit of a joke,

Unless there is an event where all cars run on the same dyno , ran by the same operator and strapped down with the same force etc etc... the numbers are only an indication.

Plus, all the really high HP "records" are on dynojets... which everyone knows read way higher than other types of dynos.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like you might be insinuating AMS in this post if you are not then please excuse the assumption. We have never been a shop to put up a dyno number without a track time to back it up. You will be hard pressed to find one unless its a car we have no direct control over. The recent world record we put up was done on a customer car, when or if he decides to take it to the track is out of our control. We ourselves to date have no quick EVO X shop car to campaign. However most of our customers that have gone to the track have backed up up their dyno numbers and then some at the drag strip.

Cars that we have had control over with big dyno numbers have backed up the numbers on the dyno, for example:

Our shop R35 GT-R made 750 whp and then went 9.89 with a 147mph trap.
Our shop Drag EVO VIII made 1140 whp and went 8.42 with a 171mph plus trap speed
Our shop Porsche made over 600whp on our dyno then wend 194mph in the mile.
and there are a slew of customer cars that have done the same.

With that being said I am sure this owner will find his way to the drag strip sooner than later.

I would like to point out that the name of the section that you are viewing and posting is entitled "EVO X Dyno results" If you are not interested in dyno numbers this would be the wrong section to read into and post.

A dyno can be a deceiving tool when not used to measure HP gain from session to session. When looking at dyno numbers the first question you should ask should be regarding the credibility of the shop using it

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; May 13, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

As some of the locals like to point out, not everyone with a fast car is Internet savvy. Just because you didn't see it here doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:05 PM

Eric, my post was definitely not about AMS

I just would like to pointed out that dyno numbers itself nothing without real background. And people have to consider not only that numbers (which could achieved for a short time) but also reliability, safety and efficiency.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truth is working with AMS trusting them with my car,with the dyno sheets i have the confident at least to race other cars at the track. Racing V8's and knowing my power potential against them,i finish 2nd place at IMPORT WARS last year.Very happy with my results,so that's the facts
Old May 13, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mlomker
As some of the locals like to point out, not everyone with a fast car is Internet savvy. Just because you didn't see it here doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
Trust me, if some tuning shop with good dyno numbers have really achieved good results on the dragstrip, then this company would certainly advertise here its record.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boba
then this company would certainly advertise here its record.
Nope. The only local performance shop that ever puts anything on here is MAP. We have a few more than that in my area. One of the shop owners currently has the fastest stock turbo IX record on one of these threads but he doesn't post customer sheets.

Last edited by mlomker; May 13, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:04 PM

This is in the wrong section, we want to come here to see dyno sheets.

And...we all know the reputable shops; If AMS, ETS, Buschur etc claim 500 hp there is no reason to bicker over whether it's really 450 hp or whatever. Fact is, if you do the same mods, you will have a ton of power.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

In reply to Eric @ AMS,

I am not questioning the quality of AMS (or any other workshops) workmanship, simply that Dyno numbers being claimed as records is a bit silly.

I did see an artical where AMS won an actual power contest, which i was very impressed with.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:04 PM

If my opinion is uncomfortable for somebody, Moderators please delete this thread.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah dyno records are a bit bs...

i take them with a grain of corn..

that said its still nice to see proper shops doing big things

Josh - Your car ready yet? i didn't see it last time I was at RE's?
Old May 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Here's an Evo X in the left lane:

Probably a good amount of power to hit 130mph no?
Old May 16, 2010, 10:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
10.5 would need about 800+ hp for a full weight X...

and thats double clutching as well
Old May 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
10.5 would need about 800 hp for a full weight X...
According to which dyno?

Focus more on the 130mph than the 10.5

Quick Reply: Dyno records race. Where is truth?