Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Steering Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo X Steering Feedback?

Question already answered, so I re-wrote and clarified original post to avoid misunderstanding :P

About a year ago I purchased a 2008 Evo X GSR. Having driven a handful of high performance cars in the past, the Evo X really impresses me even in comparison to cars that cost much more.
Over the course of a year, I've been slowly upgrading and changing the things that I, personally, didn't like about the X. The body roll, the stock exhaust, power, etc..
One thing, though, that proved to be more difficult to remedy was the feel of the steering. Having recently driven an IX for the first time, I can make a more reasonable comparison. I love the handling in the X, the AYC is fantastic, but the steering feel, compared to other performance cars I've driven (including the IX) felt somewhat numb in comparison. Ideally, I wanted the steering X to feel more like a IX without dramatically changing the suspension.

I mentioned the differences between the Evo X and it's comparison to the steering in the Lotus Elise or the Porsche 911, only in the sense where there is more 'informative, vibrational road feedback' which made it easier to feel the details in the surface of the road, and this kind of characteristic is what I was aiming at.

So, amongst a number of helpful recommendations in this post, I found what solution worked quite well for me. In addition to the swift springs, whiteline swaybars, whiteline roll center correction kit, and a good alignment that I already had on the car, I installed (with the helpful recommendations) the Perrin PSRS Zero, Robispec solid front bearings and the Robispec solid rear camber links. The solid front bearings and solid rear camber links I had to order via e-mail or phone, in case anyone is wondering why they're not on Robispec's website.

After those changes, the steering really feels more alive, and I can much more easily feel the surface of the road through the vibrational feedback provided through the wheel. There is more steering wheel vibration from the road surface, but that's definitely more to my preference. I personally think it feels a little better than the IX's now, and where the difference isn't massive, it is definitely noticeable.

Everyone's got unique preferences for these kind of things, no doubt. I'm sure some would find nothing wrong with the X's steering characteristics right out of the box, but me personally, I enjoy it much more after the changes I've made.

Last edited by User71421; Sep 1, 2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Clarified to avoid confusion :P
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:39 PM

I'm no driving expert....

But the main difference you're comparing to MR cars. That alone can change how the car gives you feedback. Turn-in and everything else is different, so maybe the AWD is making it "easier" hence the lack of "feedback". My friends always gives me $#!+ about AWD is for handicaps. Since it's literally drives for you w/o much fight.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by User71421
I absolutely love the way the steering wheel feels in a Porsche 911 or Lotus Exige, and where I realize it is probably near impossible for an Evo to totally mimic the steering feel of such a car as a 911 or Lotus, I know I can get the Evo closer than it is stock.

What would you guys recommend to help improve steering feedback? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Purchase a Evo 8/9

Better then 911/Lotus in my book and many others, including Porsche owners that bought Evo's as second cars.

But you have a 10....

Stiffer sidewall tires, sway bars, good alignment will do wonders...

- Bryan
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'm no Evo expert....

Most of what you've mentioned are mearly "natural" traits of the way the car is designed, it's AWD, and well the fact that it's not a mid or rear engine rear wheel drive like your Lotus or 911.

Go drive a STI and you'll regain your appreciation for steering feel that the Evo X provides.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:01 PM

This definitely makes sense for the weight of the steering and how much, as you say, it fights back, especially for the Exige because it has no power steering. From what I can understand, this would just affect the weight of the steering, and how the steering responds during dramatic handling changes, right?
I was more referring to, rather, the feedback from the road surface. The more 'vibrational' type of wheel feedback, rather than the 'fight back in corners' feedback.
My goal, I guess, is to be able to feel the road surface through the steering wheel, if that makes sense. For example, the 911 I have driven, it's power steering has generally the same weight in casual driving as the X but it is much more descriptive of the road surface.
Do you know what I mean?

From what I know, stiffer linkages like those provided in the Perrin PSRS or something similar could improve this specific characteristic.

I have installed aftermarket swaybars, and it's set at a great alignment right now, which dramatically improved the car's handling, but not much the steering feedback that I'm referring to.

Last edited by User71421; Sep 1, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Get rid of your front sway bar, add a Perrin PSRS, Whiteline Roll Center Kit and Robispec solid front bearing. I have done all this to my Evo X MR and it made a world of difference. I got the Zero offset PSRS because I didn't want to grind my control arms down. I had an Evo 9 MR before and my X MR now feels every bit as good if not better steering wise after doing these things.

I see you live in Seattle too, so we can get together and you can see what I mean. I am going to a BSCC track day in Bremerton on Friday. You are welcome to come check it out there too.

Last edited by EVO-IX-MR; Jun 9, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Stiff coilovers, stretched tires, add caster, lower arm bar.

+lightweight
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by EVO-IX-MR
Get rid of your front sway bar, add a Perrin PSRS, Whiteline Roll Center Kit and Robispec solid front bearing. I have done all this to my Evo X MR and it made a world of difference. I got the Zero offset PSRS because I didn't want to grind my control arms down. I had an Evo 9 MR before and my X MR now feels every bit as good if not better steering wise after doing these things.

I see you live in Seattle too, so we can get together and you can see what I mean. I am going to a BSCC track day in Bremerton on Friday. You are welcome to come check it out there too.
Did you notice an increase in noise and ride harshness after you installed the PSRS? I've heard very mixed reviews about the PSRS, it seems some like it and some find that the ride is much too harsh after the installation.
Also, do you have a link to the Robispec front bearing?

I would love to come by Bremerton to check it out although I'm moving tomorrow and I suspect I'm going to be pretty busy But, hopefully I'll get a chance to make it!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Purchase a Evo 8/9

Better then 911/Lotus in my book and many others, including Porsche owners that bought Evo's as second cars.
Agreed. The steering feedback was one of the bigger disappointments when I drove the X. Here's what Lotus owners think of the CT9A's steering:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...-evo-ix-25404/
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

The PSRS makes a little noise, so do the robispec solid front bearings. I already have AMR coils with solid bearings, so I didn't notice that much more noise or harshness after upgrading the control arms with those parts. If you are not going to track the car just get some Swift springs, Whiteline RCK and a 25mm rear sway bar and you will be really happy.

You have to call Robi if you want the solid front bearings.

Come out to Bremerton in the afternoon when it is supposed to be dry. I will be in the black X MR chasing the silver 9 MR.

Last edited by EVO-IX-MR; Jun 9, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:28 PM

So, I had done what you recommended, in addition to the swaybars, springs, and whiteline RCK I had installed, I added the Perrin PSRS Zero, Robispec solid front bearings, and also the Robispec solid rear camber links.

And the car feels great now. Really, it feels so much more alive and intuitive; it feels more like I'm reaching my hand out and feeling the road surface as I'm driving along. I didn't really notice any difference in ride comfort, and just barely, a tiny bit more road noise.

Awesome suggestion, so, thanks for that. To anyone else looking to improve steering feel in the X, mystery solved.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:07 AM

Glad you found a way to make the car work for you.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a link to the Robispec bearings?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get rid of your front sway bar
NO front sway bar at all?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:25 AM

I still have both aftermarket front and rear swaybars installed, although both are adjustable so I have the front set at the softest setting, and the rear set at 'medium' for street use and 'stiff' for tracks.

Also, if you're looking for the solid front bearings (or the solid rear camber links) some Robispec parts need to be ordered via phone or e-mail.
I just did all the ordering via e-mail and paypal so he should be able to hook ya up that way.

Quick Reply: Evo X Steering Feedback?