Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AEM digital boost gauge failure??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM digital boost gauge failure??

I have had this AEM digital boost gauge installed for no more than 4 weeks. Everything was going fine until it no longer read vacuum. It still powers on, but it no longer registers boost. I double checked all lines (vacuum and power). All is well minus the fact that the gauge no longer does its job. Im assuming its the sensor that has gone bad. Can anyone shed some light??
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Am I the only one that runs an AEM boost gauge? (sigh)

Anywho, re-checked all lines (again) this morning.

1. I pulled the sensor out, cleaned it up.
2. Replaced the vaccum line to assure zero leakage.
3. I even checked the electrical harness from the engine bay all the way behind the gauge itself.

Everything is kosher. But the digital gauge still doesnt work. I took it for a drive last night and this morning and I noticed that it would intermittently read negative vacuum (when its supposed to), but it would always revert back to reading - - -. Thats what you see on the gauge 3 flat lines when it is unable to read anything. I am confident it is the sensor that took a crap. I cant believe this can happen to such an expensive/supposedly high quality gauge..
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Called the AEM tech line (which we are directed to in order to get warrantied). They had me use a volt meter and measure the resistance of the gauge and sensor. To my surprise, the gauge itself and the sensor are bad. Now I have to send it from PA to CA (which is 7 days shipping), then they have 5 days to check it out, then another 7 days shipping back to me. How lovely. This is exactly what I needed 4 days prior to being tuned on the dyno..
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a brand new effin AEM digital gauge (50psi model) and AEM wants me to do the same. The AEM techline guy said he's never seen this happen before.... ya right. POS worked for like 5 min then just displays " - - - " Now I have to find my effin voltmeter.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
I just bought a brand new effin AEM digital gauge (50psi model) and AEM wants me to do the same. The AEM techline guy said he's never seen this happen before.... ya right. POS worked for like 5 min then just displays " - - - " Now I have to find my effin voltmeter.
They told me the same thing too. "This never happens" I bet the more people chime in, the more we will see the truth. This is what happens when a company like AEM out sources China to build their gauges. I dont think it is worth the premium prices they are charging.

I didnt waste my money on a volt meter. I went to a local AutoZone and they lent me their volt meter for free. On another note, AEM is going to send me a new gauge (warranty). Problem is that they state "they are on national black order for 2 months". WTF??
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

so even the expensive will fail....
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
They told me the same thing too. "This never happens" I bet the more people chime in, the more we will see the truth. This is what happens when a company like AEM out sources China to build their gauges. I dont think it is worth the premium prices they are charging.

I didnt waste my money on a volt meter. I went to a local AutoZone and they lent me their volt meter for free. On another note, AEM is going to send me a new gauge (warranty). Problem is that they state "they are on national black order for 2 months". WTF??
After effin with it for a week I finally got an RMA #. The voltage between Black/Green wasn't reading anything for me so I think the solenoid is bad. I sent both gauge and solenoid back so we'll see. I really effin hope it's not going to take 2 months to get it back either, that will suck major ba11s. I should of just fixed my Tru-Boost
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Must have been a bad batch of them. knock on wood. Mine has been good so far.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:58 PM

Damn! I had the same problem on my car -_-..I checked all the lines and everything was perfect...Just got rid of that POS...good luck man.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine had the same symptoms and I told them to send me a new sensor...fixed the problem....it's not the gauge it's the sensor under the hood.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:44 PM

I've been running mine for over a year with no problems, thank God. My buddy went through 2 new ones in a month. Must have been a bad batch like stated above.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yea usually the AEM stuff is real good. I never have any probs with my aem wideband or my tru-boost (when I was using it). I'm sure they'll turn it around and send me some working parts.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MindlessChild
I never heard of defi doing this :P
They just dont show real boost (>30 psi)
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was emailed by AEM July 13th stating they would send me a replacement under warranty. Checking an updated tracking via FedEx says they sent it out yesterday (July 21st). Whats with the delay? This funny business scares the heck out of me. I will no longer buy AEM gauges in the future.

On another note, STR-I gauges are forth coming and comes with an affordable price tag. (food for thought) I had STR-I gauges installed in my 07 Subaru STI and they worked perfectly.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:30 PM

So i am looking into buying a boost gauge an AEM was on the top of my list, do you guys suggest to stay away from AEM?

Quick Reply: AEM digital boost gauge failure??