Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)

Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)

I'm not sure why, but I haven't posted much about beaterX (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ew-beater.html) here on evoM. I was a lot more active on here with my evo8, so I thought I'd bring you guys up to speed on what I've been up to with this thing.

Let me first start off by saying it's been an epic few months car-wise for me. After rolling my evo8, parting it out, selling the chassis, I took on a big project. Here's where I'm at with it.

These are excerpts pulled from other posts, so please excuse references to 'tomorrow' and 'on order' as they may be slightly out of date but really, I've only had the car for 2 months, so it's all a blur anyways.

--------------

Big update, I'll try and keep it short and sweet. Basically fixing stupid isht on the car, power mods coming soon

First up, baseline. This is actually from the test drive LOL. I had shane see how healthy the thing was, and this was his idea of the quickest way to know! Red line is as it came off the dealer's lot with a few mods and MBC, green is with literally five minutes of shane's time and two dyno pulls. Black is some other car with similar mods and an intake:

Initial compression numbers were right around 130. Mivec does weird poop to compression numbers, so I was fine with them as-is.

I bought the car on a Friday. When I got to work on the next monday, it had puked out all of its power steering fluid. 20,000 miles of a poorly placed hose clamp resulted in a pinhole in the line. It took four bottles of fluid to limp the car home, and pull it apart way sooner than I had planned.

(black stuff is jb weld I had attempted to put in place in the parking lot at work)

A snap of the FMIC while the front end is apart. Garret core, measures 3 x 18 x 11.5. Endtanks are decent, but nothing amazing. It isn't huge, but should do alright for now.

Bleh. Still oil everywhere.

Dizzle's idea, worked perfect.

The next day I discovered that the 'ok' brake pads I had inspected in the dealer lot were in fact down to the squeel bars and making noise. I guess a few good test drives/rides pushed them over the edge. So, I ordered up a fresh set of ferodos from MAP. Sigh.

I got a smokin deal on an aFe drop-in air filter ($30) and a set of Deutschworks 800cc injectors. Doesn't sound like much, but the X fuel system is pretty beefy from the factory. CBRD says he has several cars running 400whp on pump gas, 800's and the stock fuel pump. Me likey!

After a week of ownership, I was ready to start fiddling with the car. I had a pretty empty weekend and decided to devote some time to it.

First thing was to get logging working. I borrowed a 2.0 tactrix cable. First mod was to enable tephra's Mode23, which basically sets up the ecu for performance logging. It works awesome. From the factory, this car has a 3.3bar map sensor, IAT, MAT, and I even figured out how to wire in my LC-1 in place of the rear o2 sensor, so wideband should be working shortly

Once I had logging working, I could do some before/after for my next little power mod for the stock turbo: tightening the wga. Lots of people talk about doing it, I tried it, it works!

Car is starting to feel like it can go now. 27psi at 3100rpm, yay mivec!

Sunday morning I made the plunge! Off with the wing!
beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-dqj0b.jpg

beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-33jky.jpg

Now for some serious bidniz! These took HOURS AND HOURS to install, but have completely transformed the interior:

Note the seat in this pic, about where your right thigh would sit...ugh, IDK what's on it.

Now, a small pile of parts! Off with the steering wheel, apart with the console, power up the dremel! Woohoo it's bluetooth! Also, relocated the AWC controls (tarmac, gravel, snow) to the center console to make room for the 2010-spec steering-wheel-mounted radio controls. Yummy.

I did this while watching HIMYM

I didn't bother taking a pic of the bluetooth module or the mic, they get stuffed behind the dash and ceiling lights. Gonna wire in my valentine1 up there too, just need a few vampire clips!

Front pads were a *bit* thin!

I got the front pads done in about 20-30 mins, but the rears gave me all sorts of problems...actually one big problem: the goddarn pins that hold the pads in place would NOT come out! With some persistance, swearing, cussing, and bloody knuckles, they came out, kicking and screaming the whole way (both me & the pins).

We got the whole mess installed and did a full flush of the brake fluid--not taking any chances on this darn beater!

This thing stops like a motherfreaker now! Needs some summer rubber stat.

While we had the wheels off, we scoped out the suspension that came on this thing. Figured out its the Tien Monoflex coilovers, they're $1999 on MAP's www site! I was so pumped I did the peanut butter jelly dance.

They handle awesome, but as-is they're a bit bouncy, and I have no idea if they'll last another winter (or three). I'm going to get the keys to adjust them and see what happens.

My replacement Rota P45F comes tomorrow (busted one in the crash), it will get a fresh tire and then they'll all go on the car.
Other parts on order: Megan test pipe, perrin intake pipe, and AMS street front motor mount insert.

(11 days of ownership so far)
-------

3/4 Rota P45F's were left intact after the crash, one with a few scratches and curb mark, but it was straight and the tire was good, so I kept it. I ordered one new 18x8.5, 37offset P45F from wheeldude.com and one new Sumitomo HTR ZIII from tire rack. The tires on the other rims had about 300-400 miles on them, so I figure should be good to go.

Thanks Ricer Pete (polishmafia) for mounting these for me! Maple Grove Goodyear FTW!
beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-wdsiw.jpg

Lots of doubters/haters, but I think they suit the car just fine

Also, I had wired in my V1 to the dome light, but it seemed to be killing the battery, even though I'd unplug it each time I turned the car off. Fun fact, that is a computer-controlled circuit, so it lets current continue to flow and the battery drains away. Thanks rosey for helping me route it down to the cigarette lighter! Now it's on/off with the ignition too, woowoo!

---------------

Nother weekly update

So, what else can go wrong? The battery is only putting out 10.5v now, woohoo! I still have the stock battery from my evo8, it seems to be in good shape so I'm going to toss that in there until I decide if I want to put a mini battery in this thing or a big red-top for extra long music-while-hanging-out power.

This week has been crazy at work, but somehow karma was nice to me and inbetween running around fridley/St. Anthony for client stuff (I'm normally way out in Eden Prairie), I was able to drop the car off and pick it up from Custom Soft Trim. These guys do seriously professional work. The pics are just iphone quality, sorry, but I'll post up better pics once the leather has tightened up a bit--they said it would take a few weeks, and from pics of other people's cars I've seen, I believe it.

So yea, latest mod, heated front seats and black leather and perforated leather on all seats, door panels, and armrests.

beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-muczk.jpg

beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-rx53x.jpg

(I'll get some updated pics of these, they've tightened up nicely!)

The headliner of this car is all effed up from the previous owner. Looking at it, IDK if cleaning will really even fix everything. Thankfully, I found a solution, hopefully I'll be able to get it done sometime this summer (post BBX I think).

Last night was busy!

I picked up a used (but good condition) Magnaflow catback from Ron @ RS Motors (off of his X) on wednesday. This thing looks identical to the Buschur Crossflow catback I had my heat set on--it even has the neckdown near the cat cut off for full 3" pipe all the way through.

Also picked up a megan testpipe from MAP. I've been reading on the X forums a lot lately and it is insane the amount of newbness that people pride themselves in. Preferring to pay for quality and guaranteed fitment over price, blah blah blah. Some parts are kinda the exception to the rule, and this is one of them. $130 on MAP's site, I got a package discount with a few other things, insane bang/buck:

While the exhaust was off, I slapped in my Beatrush rear diff bushings from my crashed evo8. Beatrush lists the same part number for both, and voila, they fit great!

Beatrush on the left, stock on the right:

10 minute install, very worth it:

Next I scooted forward and ripped out the stock driveshaft bushings and replaced them one by one with the Beatrush propellershaft bushings I salvaged from my crashed flipmobile:

Little bit of lube on the hangers and everything was snug and fit perfect. This exhaust curves down ever-so-slightly to provide more clearance for the carrier bearings, but as luck would have it, it slightly scrapes ever-so-slightly in my tiny non-steep driveway, despite missing the big muffler right in the middle.

Next, around to the front of the car:

AMS Front motor mount insert (street, 70 durometer). No press needed, just a sawzall to cut the old bushing out and a 5 pound hammer (with TKR driving it!)to get the new one in. The car was already in the air, literally 5-minute install once the bushing was in the mount, 3 bolts.

Lastly a quick oil change (for good measure, enough else has gone wrong on this car) and then off for some testing! Ended up turning the MBC down 1/3 of a turn for ~26psi peak. The front motor mount and bushings made a pretty insane difference, the shifting feels fantastic. There is a *tish* more vibration in the cabin but it is hardly noticable. I ended up bumping up the idle by 100rpm just to see if I could get it to go away, and it helped. Anna commented, but said she didn't hate it.

I also deleted the rear o2 sensor and installed my wideband sensor from the LC-1 (again, from the crashed 8). I'll wire that up next week, for now its just plumbed in and no CEL yet (I disabled ecu options #2, bit 1), we'll see what happens in the future. The ability to log right through the ECU will be way worth this!

-------------

Ugh, its been a rough week with the X. Nothing serious, but lots of little stuff is adding up to big levels of annoyance.

First thing's first. I *finally* got my openport 2.0 cable from the post office, it had been sitting there for a f*cking week. I did get stand-alone logging working in about ten minutes, pretty slick. Just insert microSD card, plug in flash cable w/o laptop, and it logs right to the card for later review! I love it.

That's where my luck ended though. I wired in my wideband from my evo8, and have been struggling trying to get logging working with it through the stock rear-o2 input. I've rewired the darn thing twice and literally tried like 10 different formulas in evoscan to no avail. This input is read as a 2-byte value (1024 values) vs the 1-byte value from the 8/9 (256 values) so the formulas need to be reworked. My latest one seems to be best, as it sees 14-15afr at idle/cruise and dips down to 12-13afr at light throttle. However, WOT it sees 13afr, which is not right at all. I even richened up the fuel tables just to be sure, no effect.

current formula: ((22.39-7.35)/1023)*x+7.35 = (0.0146*x)+7.35

Next pain in my ***, my little art project. No pics of this poop yet as it looks like garbage. I'm trying to fill in the holes around the stock rectangular openings that I've put my circular seat-heater controls into. Bondo + 600 grit sanding the entire thing seems to have worked best, but this paint I got just makes it look like poop. It's shiny and you can see all the details of the surface, including the clear differences between the bondo and the plastic. Needless to say, it looks like poop. Anyone have any ideas, or know anyone good at stuff like this? It's just a basic piece of plastic, kinda krinkle black.

Ok on to more reasonable things. Rosey's clutch fork stopper fits like a glove. X guys, add $50 for the X-tax, rosey has a ring to pay for!

Next, AMS shifter-gate bushing. Less slop = good. This goes inside the gear selector arms that bolt to the transmission.

AMS underhood shifter bushings. The stock ones were surprisingly firm, idk if this is a new thing for the evoX (vs a regular lancer), because the 8/9 evos seemed awefully squishy. Still worth doing.

Since I had the intake out, why put the stocker back in? Perrin intake pipe:

And, I deleted the stock airbox and test-fit an aFe intake. This was recommended to me by several people. It looks simple but well designed.

I'm missing a stock bracket though, the part that this thing mounts to. IDK if I'll bother finding it, or just zip-tie this thing in place. For now, I put the stock air-box back in, and I'll swap this in when I get the car up to shane for tuning (or if I get my darned wideband working!).

oh, two last things. I had a small exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the testpipe. Fixed that, the car sounds a bit quieter, and better at WOT.

Also, Anna bought me a simple tool kit for the trunk (for my birthday). I never carried one in my evo8, and well, *** it. Worth having in case of emergency, and it fits in place of the stock foam poop.

The previous owner went ahead and spilled a coke (or something) in the trunk and never bothered to clean it up. There was corn-syrup goo all over the floor of the trunk and in the spare tire well, and I never noticed it, but through the camera view-finder you can clearly see a big brown stain in the trunk carpet. See it?

----------

Aaaaaaand the FPR vacuum line popped off somehow. Wideband works perfectly! Car was running 13:1 under WOT with no knock, but it felt like poop. I guess that's what I get for doing too many things at the same time.

On the plus side, I put the original fuel map on that shane gave me and the car runs low 11's perfectly, even after swapping in the aFe filter and perrin intake pipe. Fuel trims affecting WOT are disabled in my ROM, so this setup seems pretty safe to just drop in on an existing tune or even a stock car and (as long as your fpr is seeing boost) shouldn't run lean

[quote author=nashbar link=topic=41559.msg384578#msg384578 date=1275533629]
how does the ECU tuning go for playing with cams? I'm guessing it's not plug n play?

stock injectors? is the evo direct injection?
[/quote]

With the current tools available, you can basically get stock cams to lop like they are big cams, and you can get big cams to idle nearly as smooth as stock cams. The mivec on the IX and X make this possible, it is fully tunable.

Yup, still on stock injectors. The stock fuel system in the X is awesome, truely an evolution form the old ones. Evo8 had 560cc injectors and a fuel pump that could support about 265-270whp. The Evo9 had the same 560cc injectors and a fuel pump that could support 320-330whp. The evoX has 650cc injectors and a fuel pump that can support 350-360whp on the stock injectors, and 400+whp with 800cc injectors.

I picked up a set of 800's used from a buddy for ~$230. They'll go on whenever I order a bigger turbo. Since I have an in-car wideband now, tuning them myself should be no big deal. Lots more to do before that then. Finish tuning the stock turbo setup, fix the bodywork (this should be rolling in the next few weeks) and probably swap in some stock shocks w/ lowering springs; the coilovers are just plain too bouncy on most roads.

-------------
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Got this thing on the rollers tonight. Not the 300whp I was really hoping for, but meh, with my luck and how solid the tune is, I'm happy. Shane says it's really in line with other cars similarly modded, and I believe it. Good solid fun power on the stock turbo. 278whp/287wtq.

AFR curve sooooo flat, thanks shane!

25psi@3000rpm, thanks mivec!

280wtq@3500rpm, yippee!

Here's 4 runs overlayed. The Black line is NOT MINE, but another car shane had pulled up with similar mods. I'm a little short of it, but again, meh. Upper red line is current tune, green line is shanes 5-minute tune when I was on the test drive, and the lower red line is the car as it rolled off of the dealer's lot with the old catback, mbc, uicp, and random fmic.

A few notes:
-the perrin intake tube didn't lean the car out at all
-the aFe intake did lean out the car about half a point between 4000-5500
-peak timing is a bit down from your average X, maybe I'll get some better fuel in it some day and pick up that 15-20whp.
-my LC-1 wideband is within .2 AFR of DB's, good enough for me! I started geting a CEL the other day, turns out it was a rear o2 code...I didn't get it for like two weeks after not running a rear o2 (at all) and it came on the day I fixed the line to the FPR. Weird. There was one DTC I had left enabled, disabling seems to have gotten rid of the CEL now. So, no rear o2, no CEL's, yay!

I'm sorta at a loss as to what to do with the car next. BBX, Ported Exh Mani, and o2 housing/downpipe is what I'd like to do, but there's other things I'd like to do...sunroof, bodywork, etc. Budget is now getting very very tight. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep the car as-is powerwise for a while and just rock it. It's good clean fun and should be enough to keep me smilin for a while

---------------

Been a while, updates for you guys. A few weeks ago, I pulled the car apart (forgot to take a pic it looked funny for a few days!), took the trunk off and some stuff under the hood. Small but good stuff.

Some GOOD friends I have at LaMettry's in EP took my trunk lid filled the holes from the wing, removed the badges, and cleaned up the massive screwdriver marks from whatever retard tried to remove the old 'evolution' badge. Then it got painted and cleaned up, and I installed it back on my car before wagner's tonight.

While it was off, I pulled my Mynes hood struts and my janky (but functional) UICP and ran it over to Primo Performance for powdercoating. They did a nice glossy black on the hood damper mounts, and a crinkle black on the UICP. No polished bling on this car, nice and simple

You can still see the big ding in the passenger quarter panel. That's getting taken care of next, then PDR, then buffing/detailing. It HURTS to spend the money on this and not making the car faster, but goddarn its starting to look good (IMHO).

While the car was sitting, I dinked with the coilovers a bit and decided I hate them, I cannot adjust them at all, the clicky things on top are missing. PB Blaster on top to keep them lubricated, that's about all I can do for now. I also yanked out the motor mount again and added two holes, and enlarged two holes from 3/8" to 1/2". After some testing and bumping up the idle about 100rpm, the car is absolutely perfect, no extra vibration with snickity-snick tight shifting

Theeeeeen last weekend I went up to BIR for MAP's Proving Grounds event. I considered doing the road course, but with everything else going on, I wasn't ready to drop the cash on it. I beat the living **** out of the car on Saturday. In the morning, I did 11-12 AutoX runs in their big autoX course. It was a LOT of fun, I gave rides to friends, event organizers, and, my dad stayed in the car with me the entire second session! It was a BLAST!

We set up our little evo camp right in the heart of everything:

Side note, I wrenched on this car a bit, good guy, he put down 1022whp @DB Performance at 4am, at the track racing at 9am

After the AutoX, the drag area was wide open. I had been perfecting my 2-step 5500rpm launching technique during the autoX and was ready to rock for some drag times. Wheel straight, roll up to the lights, gentle rev up to the two-step, let clutch out a bit then full throttle and all the way out on the clutch woooowweeee! bam second gear comes quick, then third and fourth, 7000rpm in 4th across the 1320' line at a little over 100mph. Good times! This is my FIRST time ever drag racing, its good poop. My dad was cheering me on the whole way.

Best timeslip, 13.1@105 (106mph best):

Parked the car and wrenched on others after this. Left the track at the end of the day to go get some 111-leaded and bump up the timing on the tune to go for the elusive-to-me 12.9. When I pulled out onto the road, I was greeted with no torque and all revs, the stock clutch was slipping. It had performed perfectly during the 15 or so launches i did that day, 5 drag passes and all. Oh well! I was able to limp the car back to Minneapolis with 1/10 throttle the entire way.

I had gotten to BIR at 1130pm Friday night, went to bed ~430am, woke up at 630am, went to bed at ~330am, woke up at ~730am and finally got home around 830pm sunday night. I was absolutely SHOT, just like my clutch Monday I kicked some ideas around and all of the local shops were SUPER busy before BIR and now catching up on other stuff they had put off to get cars done for the weekend racing. It would be weeks before the beater could get into any of these shops. My buddy Jim helped me make up my mind, I had to do it myself, and I got help from a few very good friends.

My poopty little compressor took a crap a few weeks ago, so I ran out Monday and picked up this thing from harbor freight, and cleaned up my tool area (took a LOT of them with me up to BIR):
beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)-zt2o9l.jpg

I've done a clutch job on a 1G DSM before, but my 2G and evo8 I paid someone else to do, just a real PITA. We started around 7:30pm on Tuesday night, Anna brought us some PeiWei around 8 or 830. The plan was to just work as far as we could that night and eventually try and get the trans out by on Thursday.

We rigged up a sweet tranny jack:

My buddy Trevor stopped by after work around 11 or 1130? and we got the xfer case off and most of the trans bolts out. We later found a few secret trans bolts, and got the whole thing free of the block. We then spent about an hour or two wrestling with the thing and massaging it out of the car. Around 2am, trans was on the floor, I yanked the clutch/flywheel, and we crashed. Trevor nearly fell asleep on my garage floor while holding the jack, LOL.

8am I was at a client for work, and feel pretty darn beat. The flywheel got machined wednesday, and the clutch arrived thursday at DB in Rogers. I was busy at work but Jim & Trevor had time and had to both leave for the holiday weekend around 5pm, so they ran around with the flywheel, new clutch, and other little things, and then I started getting cell phone pics:

When I got home, I found the trans bolted to the block (mostly):

I was elated! I could have cried I was so happy, except for all the rest of the work left to do sobered me up quick. Aaron came by and helped me thank god, cause don't forget who's writing this--I suck at wrenching . We spent a good hour wrestling with two motor mounts, then got the transfer case on and trevor came back to help us button up the axles and suspension, and a bunch of other little stuff. 11pm curfew imposed by Anna, so I ended up buttoning everything up Friday afternoon.

Anna helped us the last 15 minutes with a whip was jonsen' us with some harsh words to hurry the eff up! (You can see how happy she is)

Saturday I put about 100 miles on it this morning and it feels fantastic! I'm taking it easy but still in shock that just a few days ago I was planning on limping this thing for a few weeks until someone could do this for me

The new clutch is an ACT HDG6, sprung 6-puck. Pedal feel is a little heavier than stock, and its really grabby between shifts, and pretty darn smooth for a 6-puck leaving from a stop. The new redline Xmeat popsicletail (2xMTL 1xMT90) is smooth as buttah. Gonna get this thing broken in quick, cause beaterX is going to continue to be in for a beating

-------------

And that brings us up to this week! Check out this sweet plate that Rosey machined for me! I'm going to get it powdercoated over at primo sometime in the near future.

Also, no pics, but I put on the whiteline rear sway bar inbetween helping my neighbor with his rattly Forrester exhaust. I put it on the medium setting, and the car now feels insanely flat around cloverleafs and tight corners. I still have the coilovers, which have kept the car way flat already, so this is a pretty awesome setup.

Coilovers will be coming off soon.

Last edited by scheides; Jul 8, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Looking good!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!!! Props to you for doing everything yourself/with friends.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Incredible, you've done more with your's in a few months than I have done in 2 years

btw...what does the Rosey clutch fork stopper do for you?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
btw...what does the Rosey clutch fork stopper do for you?
Helps prevent the TOB from unclipping from the pressure plate.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

The Fork Stopper keeps the clutch fork from over-extending when you let off the clutch pedal. If this happens, the TOB can release and leave you dead in the water.

They're available through MAP:

http://www.maperformance.com/mr-mach...m-cfs-evo.html

The one from the 8/9 fits the X.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I bet it felt good to get that clutch in. Time to take it back to the track.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

where'd you get the seats? custom leather?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
The Fork Stopper keeps the clutch fork from over-extending when you let off the clutch pedal. If this happens, the TOB can release and leave you dead in the water.

They're available through MAP:

http://www.maperformance.com/mr-mach...m-cfs-evo.html

The one from the 8/9 fits the X.
Thanks for the explanation, though I have never needed this with my X or any other evo that I've seen...interesting!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
EvoM Moderator

Through the Mitsubishi authorized leather program at the dealer. I made a few friends and got the deal direct through a company called Classic Soft Trim in Minneapolis. I'm insanely impressed with them. I'd like to have them do a sunroof for me some day, for an unofficial 2008 GSR Touring Edition setup
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Thanks for the explanation, though I have never needed this with my X or any other evo that I've seen...interesting!
Comp clutches and Exedy twins are prone to this. Often doubling or tripling up the wavy spring that is in the TOB helps this but for as cheap as they are and easy to install, it's great insurance!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Awesome write up! Keep it coming.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:53 AM

Damn bro, i gotta hand it to you...that is one revived Evo

damn good job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: beaterX update: May1-July7th (a ton of projects, a ton of pics)