Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

May be changing from MR to GSR. Need Input.

Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be changing from MR to GSR. Need Input.

Need some input guys/gals. I bought my 2010 MR several months ago and at first I liked the SST, but after living with the car for several months I've had a change of heart. This is my only car that was not a manual transmission and I miss having better control of the car...especially during those merging into traffic situations where the MR just slips the clutch like a rookie driver and make me grow a few more gray hairs. I also thought the 6th gear would give me some advantage in highway mileage but I drive about 85% freeway and still get about 20MPG...so the little advantage, if any, I'm not seeing.

That being said I need some info. I did some searching but would like some updated info on the manual trans in the GSR. I drove a few before buying the MR and to be honest I never liked the feel of the shifter or clutch...to me the cars I drove felt like the shifter was very weakly built and I also felt the trans even grind a little even after getting to operating temperature...something I never felt in any previous car.

Now, I'm sure the trans is strong (seeing all the high HP GSR's around the boards) but I would like to know if these issues I found are normal and not a reliability issue and thus a good aftermarket shifter "fix" what I felt... or are others having issues with the trans?

Also, is me or does the clutch engage much further to the top of the throw than other cars? I almost stalled a GSR when I test drove it the day I got the MR (and I was driving my manual trans vette daily).

I owned several others cars (last two were a 08' Vette and a 05' STi) and I never issues with the transmission. Even the so called "Glass" transmission in my 04' WRX never gave me an issue.

Either way, like to know your experiences with the GSR's transmission/Clutch/Shifter in the OEM state. I plan on changing cars in a month or so as I am getting tried of the SST...nice transmission but I prefer manual. Also, I have grown use to the great handling these cars have over all the cars I have own and would prefer to stay with an EVO if the transmission is reliable. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
In stock condition the clutch/tranny/shifter feels like total garbage in the X, luckily, this is very easy and fairly cheap (all things considered) to resolve.

Here is what I've personally done to my car:

-removed clutch restrictor pill
-changed tranny fluid to the Redline cocktail
-WORKS short shifter ($150)
-WORKS shifter bushings (base and cable)
-WORKS Grab aluminum shift knob
-AMS shifter gate pivot bushing

With these mods done I am very happy with the feel! It actually shifts like a sports car should. I spent just under $300 total for everything above and it was worth every penny.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

ive done the works shifter and base bushings so far and the throw feels 100x better. next will be shifter cable bushings ($30).

first time reading about removing a clutch restrictor pill, what does that do?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Curious about that slips the clutch thing. I doesn't engage a lower gear on demand? I thought super sport was a shift "no human could duplicate"?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:40 AM

What he said! Had the car for only 4 months and the shifter and cables went on me. Warranty replaced, it's allot smoother now but I'll probly change to a short shifter in the future.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TJs98GT
first time reading about removing a clutch restrictor pill, what does that do?
It's a little plastic pill inside the clutch slave cylinder that doesn't allow the clutch to engage quickly. This prevents the clutch from doing what you actually want it to do since there's a delay between the pedal and clutch. Remove the pill and the feedback and consistency from the clutch is much improved; plus it will help it last longer since there's less slipping.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... does removing endanger the clutch master cylinder?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Hmmm... does removing endanger the clutch master cylinder?
If anything, it's easier on the master cylinder since it no longer has to push against the pill/spring. That is an very minor difference though, in the real world it's not going to matter.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
In stock condition the clutch/tranny/shifter feels like total garbage in the X, luckily, this is very easy and fairly cheap (all things considered) to resolve.

Here is what I've personally done to my car:

-removed clutch restrictor pill
-changed tranny fluid to the Redline cocktail
-WORKS short shifter ($150)
-WORKS shifter bushings (base and cable)
-WORKS Grab aluminum shift knob
-AMS shifter gate pivot bushing

With these mods done I am very happy with the feel! It actually shifts like a sports car should. I spent just under $300 total for everything above and it was worth every penny.

The X is possibly one of the worst shifting cars i've ever driven. I want to deffinately clean up the shifter, where did you order the bushings and how hard was it to install?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered all my stuff through MAPerformance. The install wasn't bad at all; anyone with simple hand tools and a little patience to read the instructions can handle it. WORKS provides printed instructions and TWM has very in-depth color instructions for download on their site in PDF form. AMS' site has the instructions needed for the pivot gate bushing in PDF form.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Sheesh the X shifter is not nearly as bad as you all claim. It has way less play and has a more solid feel than my gummy M3 box. Sure it can be improved on but I love the mechanical feel.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds to me like you drive your MR in automatic mode too much (not having control). I'm like you and feel the car shouldn't have control on the shifting, and why I drive in manual mode 100% of the time. I say give it a shot before you give up on it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

I have a full TWM setup in my GSR (Short Shifter, Shifter Base Bushings, Shifter Cable Bushings, and Transmission Arm Bushing) and I love how it feels. Only thing I'm really missing is a weighted Shift Knob, but I really like the OEM aluminum one so I'm torn on getting a new one. I had a little issue with the Transmission Arm bushing, but thanks to Kracka, a little grease cleared that right up.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

i heard that the short shifters might cause grindings with the Evo's weird synchros? has anyone experienced any issues with theirs?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rmondoh
I have a full TWM setup in my GSR (Short Shifter, Shifter Base Bushings, Shifter Cable Bushings, and Transmission Arm Bushing) and I love how it feels. Only thing I'm really missing is a weighted Shift Knob, but I really like the OEM aluminum one so I'm torn on getting a new one. I had a little issue with the Transmission Arm bushing, but thanks to Kracka, a little grease cleared that right up.
I also like the OEM aluminum shift knob, i passed on a weighted knob, but when i go to the track i would want to use the AMS derlin knob for better reach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May be changing from MR to GSR. Need Input.