Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking at an EVO with cosmetic damage, how much to fix?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Agreed, I'd pass, we well. Seeing the thing dropped to the ground points to a clueless owner. The body damage is the icing on the cake.
Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
And I'm not sure what lowering springs have to do with body damage.
Answer in bold.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Answer in bold.
Still makes zero sense, the two thoughts are not related in the slightest. I'm asking about how to repair this damage, and how much it will cost. I don't care if the owner is an idiot.

I'll ask him if he can get it fixed through insurance, but if he does, do you guys think they will just sand and repair these parts, or does it look like they just need to be swapped out?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Still makes zero sense, the two thoughts are not related in the slightest.
Why do I feel like slamming my head against the wall?

I'm asking about how to repair this damage, and how much it will cost. I don't care if the owner is an idiot.
Fascinating thought process. You don't care whether the owner is an idiot, yet you're thinking of buying a used, high-performance automobile modified beyond the scope of its design, with body damage to boot, from the same guy. Ruts-a-ruck.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, the brain is not functioning!

Roll the dice, I'm sure it'll be fine
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:58 AM

Sorry to inform you guys but I'm very mechanically inclined, and am perfectly capable of determining if the car is in good mechanical condition. I've verified the car is FINE except for this cosmetic damage.

Also please notice that several times in this thread I've asked about how to repair this damage, and how much it will cost - yet I've never once asked 'is it a good idea to buy a used evo from an idiot with lowering springs" .. yet you seem to think I'm the idiot for not accepting this as an answer to my question. You are answering a question that was not asked. So whos brain is not funcitoning exactly?

Now, can anyone who has any clue about body work on an Evo X please respond?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Let's see, you post 2 pictues on an internet forum and ask the members to give you an estimate to repair the damage.

Unless we have a 3d monitor it's virually impossible for us to see the true extent of the damage.

Instead, you might want to fully engage that melon and request that the seller stop buy a few reputable body shops and get repair estimates from true professionals instead of a few guys online.....

We were looking for your best interest, now I could care less.

Btw...since your so mechanically inclined, what did the oil anaysis indicate.....oh you didn't get an oil sample.....thought so.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Let's see, you post 2 pictues on an internet forum and ask the members to give you an estimate to repair the damage.

Unless we have a 3d monitor it's virually impossible for us to see the true extent of the damage.

Instead, you might want to fully engage that melon and request that the seller stop buy a few reputable body shops and get repair estimates from true professionals instead of a few guys online.....

We were looking for your best interest, now I could care less.

Btw...since your so mechanically inclined, what did the oil anaysis indicate.....oh you didn't get an oil sample.....thought so.
Haha.. wow. Ok man, well between the pics and my description, I'm pretty sure an experienced body shop worker or someone who knows evos very well could come pretty close on an estimate without a 3d monitor or whatever.

And the oil analysis came back as 'clean' , I analyzed it with my face and by listening to the engine and driving the car. I've been working on vehicles most of my life, so yes I can tell that the car is ok. Not sure how you feel justified to instantly assume I'm clueless and need your help to decide that part of the sale. Thats pretty presumptious of you and seriously rude.

The ONLY thing I need help on, or have any question about, is what are my options to repair this body damage. I never asked for advice about anything else yet I'm being torn apart for not taking this unwanted advice. Why is this so hard??
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Damage isn't that bad at all. Really only 2 ways to fix it my friend.

1. Pull dents, grind, fill, sand, feather, prep, paint etc...
2. Panel replacement. The door is easy the rear quarter would need to be cut out, fitted, welded, then grind, fill, sand, prep, paint etc...

Sorry I can't give you any pricing as I have no clue on parts costs but this is most def an easy *** fix for any competent body shop.

Man I'm glad a lot of people in this world don't have the mentality off some on here or there would be a serious shortage of fun *** older cars as nobody would fix anything
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

And the oil analysis came back as 'clean' , I analyzed it with my face and by listening to the engine and driving the car.
LOL...

So no compression and/or leakdown test....ya your mechnically inclined right?...good, you might need those skills!

We (as a group and myself included) already gave you a cost estimate between $300-1200, what else do you want from us?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:05 PM

what else do you want from us?
This! Finally..

Originally Posted by gsrboi80

2. Panel replacement. The door is easy the rear quarter would need to be cut out, fitted, welded, then grind, fill, sand, prep, paint etc...

Sorry I can't give you any pricing as I have no clue on parts costs but this is most def an easy *** fix for any competent body shop.

Man I'm glad a lot of people in this world don't have the mentality off some on here or there would be a serious shortage of fun *** older cars as nobody would fix anything

Thanks man. Thats what I was afraid of, it looks like that rear quarter would be a pain to replace for me. I'm not that skilled at body work.. Maybe I could do the rest of the work myself and have a body shop do the quarter.

Do you think they would cut just the section out down by the wheel well and splice in a new piece? Or are you thinking they would just swap out the entire panel? I would think a good shop could do the prior for much cheaper.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
This! Finally..

Thanks man. Thats what I was afraid of, it looks like that rear quarter would be a pain to replace for me. I'm not that skilled at body work.. Maybe I could do the rest of the work myself and have a body shop do the quarter.

Do you think they would cut just the section out down by the wheel well and splice in a new piece? Or are you thinking they would just swap out the entire panel? I would think a good shop could do the prior for much cheaper.
To be honest from what I can see in the pic full replacement of the rear qt would probably more work than what is needed.

I can't really see inside the door jam and in the fender well but just from what I can see should be able to pull, grind, fill and sand that little section back without never knowing it was there. The door I'd just replace and be done with

Hope this helps a little
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:24 PM

To be honest from what I can see in the pic full replacement of the rear qt would probably more work than what is needed.

I can't really see inside the door jam and in the fender well but just from what I can see should be able to pull, grind, fill and sand that little section back without never knowing it was there. The door I'd just replace and be done with

Hope this helps a little
Helps a lot actually thanks for the advice! This could be a good deal if I can find a shop to do the rear quarter repair for under $500. We'll see.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Also,
Is it missing a wheel well liner on the front pass side? It looks like it from the pic.
Yep the liner is missing which makes me wonder what else has been changed/removed. I seriously would consider not purchasing this car. The last thing you want is a ghetto modded EVO.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a standard replace parts and paint job. There will actually have to be some body work and filling. It's in a fairly inconspicuous area but I've seen some shops do poor work on this type of damage when people pay the bare minimum. Also if done properly the whole side of the car would need to be blended. Best to just get estimates from good local shops as they will be the places you would be taking the car to if you purchased.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:59 PM

doesnt look to bad but who knows if the suspension or frame is damaged????

Quick Reply: Looking at an EVO with cosmetic damage, how much to fix?