Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is OEM rear strut brace good and worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is OEM rear strut brace good and worth the price?

Hello
I'm planning to get an 2010/2011 EVO SE. Just wondering that is anyone out there has the OEM strut brace installed? Is it a good performance part? If I ordered a X with the brace already installed by Mistu, would they cut the black plastic cover in the trunk to fit the brace?
PS: Since SE doesn't come with the big wing, I need to get a wing by myself, sadly... But which wing would look better on the Octance Blue body, OEM MR/SSS wing (OB) or SEICO carbon fiber OEM like wing? Anyone got some pics of OB Evo with SEICO wing?

THANKS!!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not heard anything about the rear strut bars. For the price though Id say just invest in something else.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about the stock one, but I'm pretty happy with the cusco. It helped add some turn-in oversteer that I needed. You can probably buy it for cheaper than factory price.

Not sure about any cutting though because I took that black piece out of my trunk.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:34 AM

Don't know about the rear strut bar, you probably can do better for less money. As for the wing, that is based on your tastes. I prefer my car to look pretty much stock, lots of people don't. What do you want?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by odin
Hello
I'm planning to get an 2010/2011 EVO SE. Just wondering that is anyone out there has the OEM strut brace installed? Is it a good performance part? If I ordered a X with the brace already installed by Mistu, would they cut the black plastic cover in the trunk to fit the brace?
PS: Since SE doesn't come with the big wing, I need to get a wing by myself, sadly... But which wing would look better on the Octance Blue body, OEM MR/SSS wing (OB) or SEICO carbon fiber OEM like wing? Anyone got some pics of OB Evo with SEICO wing?

THANKS!!
check out the seibon one. i have it since early 2008, and it is still in perfect condition.

also it if full CF. and has a very good price. Also about the rear brace. Spend a money somewhere else where you will actually see some noticeable benefit on the stock car.

rob

sorry its not a blue car.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 29, 2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Rob!
It actually looks great on your white baby . Just wondering maybe someone could Photoshop me a blue X with black big wing tho...

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
check out the seibon one. i have it since early 2008, and it is still in perfect condition.

also it if full CF. and has a very good price. Also about the rear brace. Spend a money somewhere else where you will actually see some noticeable benefit on the stock car.

rob

sorry its not a blue car.

Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

WOW, that what I want to know, ppl says X always tend to understeer at corners; then if the brace does improve it, I'd be happy to have it. Cusco from amsperformance is like $300+, but we could find OEM one just from one hundred more online instead of 500+ from the factory/dealers.

Have u tried to place the black piece back??

Originally Posted by Segfault
I don't know about the stock one, but I'm pretty happy with the cusco. It helped add some turn-in oversteer that I needed. You can probably buy it for cheaper than factory price.

Not sure about any cutting though because I took that black piece out of my trunk.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'd like to keep it look more stock as well... but, with few things on (front lip, vortex generator, etc. they are all black), it might be better with a wing tho. I just hope I could find a pic of blue X with black stock like big wing somewhere... Still wondering if dealer could be able to just order a blue SSS wing for me and how much it would cost...

PS: I'm pretty sure, I DON'T want a huge GT wing, overkilling

Originally Posted by bigscarymonster
Don't know about the rear strut bar, you probably can do better for less money. As for the wing, that is based on your tastes. I prefer my car to look pretty much stock, lots of people don't. What do you want?

Last edited by odin; Aug 29, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:18 AM

If you want the stock SSS wing just keep an eye out on the for-sale threads on here and other forums. People sell stuff like that all the time and you are going to get it for a huge amount less than the dealer.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigscarymonster
People sell stuff like that all the time and you are going to get it for a huge amount less than the dealer.
I gave mine away, so did another local. Blue is somewhat rare but you could probably find another color and have it painted for less than new.

The Cusco bars are a great value for the money. Sometimes they are back-ordered for weeks for that reason.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by odin
WOW, that what I want to know, ppl says X always tend to understeer at corners; then if the brace does improve it, I'd be happy to have it. Cusco from amsperformance is like $300+, but we could find OEM one just from one hundred more online instead of 500+ from the factory/dealers.

Have u tried to place the black piece back??

Well, it looks like it'll fit. I've stripped my trunk so I don't know about the other stuff, but I can place the black plastic piece in spot so you can push through those plastic screw thingies.

Also note that the bar just helps, so don't expect a dramatic fix in handling. It was the last piece of the puzzle for me. I already had coilovers I dialed in and a 27mm rear sway.