Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hello...new here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
I dont think you will hear your BOV as often in a SST equiped evo. While you're accelerating you dont lift off the throttle like you would in a manual evo to shift. As far as I know, the throttle body remains open during shifts on a SST equiped evo and will not create the vacuum needed to open the BOV (until you let off the gas). But correct me if i'm wrong.

ps: congrats on your purchase
have you driven an sst before? because with my ets intake, i have no problem hearing my bov.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evod350z
have you driven an sst before? because with my ets intake, i have no problem hearing my bov.
Yes I have driven a SST before. Do you hear your BOV at every shift or only when you let off? My post was more or less theory crafting and thats why I said "correct me if im wrong"
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Evod350z
This is good to know! I'm either going to be getting an AMS or an ETS intake here in the near future. Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

You might think of getting away with A/S tires; not that they're fun in the summer, the do suck compared to the Yoko OEM tires, but they have some advantages over winter tires.

1) They tend to last a little better; you can then get more miles out of them if you're looking for efficient DD setup, even through warmer months
2) They have a lot better dry pavement performance most often over winter tires

Winter tires can accelerate and brake as well as A/S and almost universally handle lateral grip in the snow better. It's really up to you, but you should be aware that tires are probably the most expensive routine wear item on the car. Brakes are the next. Most folks are happy getting 12,000 miles +/- on their stockers.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
You might think of getting away with A/S tires; not that they're fun in the summer, the do suck compared to the Yoko OEM tires, but they have some advantages over winter tires.

1) They tend to last a little better; you can then get more miles out of them if you're looking for efficient DD setup, even through warmer months
2) They have a lot better dry pavement performance most often over winter tires

Winter tires can accelerate and brake as well as A/S and almost universally handle lateral grip in the snow better. It's really up to you, but you should be aware that tires are probably the most expensive routine wear item on the car. Brakes are the next. Most folks are happy getting 12,000 miles +/- on their stockers.
Yeah, I know lol! Once I get through the Yoko Advans I'm going to be looking into getting some ASRs. Any suggestions on which are better for an average DD setup?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

LOL. I'm "tire poor", still milking Yoko W4S A/S's that I bought two years ago. If I had it "my way", I'd get another set of Z1's for average DD, but I don't really do average DD. I run 80 miles/day to-and-from work; so the need for something that grippy and stiff is pretty hard to justify. The W4S's btw are gonna probably last me in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles. They cost a bit under $150 IRC; I think it was $137 from the 'Rack. Now they're carrying the "ENvigor W tires taht are $164 ea but have a killer UTQG, probably rated to last 60,000 miles if I do the math right.

My constraint for a two-tire config that I flip/flop for the track and DD are the rims still. I haven't found rims that I both like and can afford.

Plus my local track is closing But with that news, it makes my stakes higher when traveling long distances to tracks, and will almost certainly get some competition tires, but not sure if it'll take me one or two winters to save up enough for all the toys I want. (I know I push my car enough to justify coilovers now that I've learned to be smooth).

So my short list now is: tune; coilovers; rims, and competition tires. Dang, where to start!?!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr Sinister81
Yeah, man...I'm already feeling it! I never should have logged onto the AMS web site LOL!

Speaking of which...what tends to be the most popular AMS exhaust kit/system? I'm not trying to go crazy spending money because I'm not going to race the Evo or anything, but I would like to hear my stock bov a little bit...or a lot lol!
On the BOV noise, you can hear the stock one better with a TBE -- really. The BOV won't get you any perf that I hear of, and can indeed for some reason throw engine codes. Get the TBE as an early bolt on. I dropped my 1/4 m time nearly a second, untuned. It sounds killer and the BOV 'whooshes' quite nicely btwn shifts. In the MT5 GSR setup anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

LOL. I'm "tire poor", still milking Yoko W4S A/S's that I bought two years ago. If I had it "my way", I'd get another set of Z1's for average DD, but I don't really do average DD. I run 80 miles/day to-and-from work; so the need for something that grippy and stiff is pretty hard to justify. The W4S's btw are gonna probably last me in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles. They cost a bit under $150 IRC; I think it was $137 from the 'Rack. Now they're carrying the "ENvigor W tires taht are $164 ea but have a killer UTQG, probably rated to last 60,000 miles if I do the math right.

My constraint for a two-tire config that I flip/flop for the track and DD are the rims still. I haven't found rims that I both like and can afford.

Plus my local track is closing But with that news, it makes my stakes higher when traveling long distances to tracks, and will almost certainly get some competition tires, but not sure if it'll take me one or two winters to save up enough for all the toys I want. (I know I push my car enough to justify coilovers now that I've learned to be smooth).

So my short list now is: tune; coilovers; rims, and competition tires. Dang, where to start!?!
Well, the problem I'm having is that I need a budget friendly, quality tire that performs well under normal DD conditions, as well as in rainy/snowy conditions. I have yet to find such a tire that I can afford, but I'm still looking!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Budget friendly is what I'm looking for too. Since my A/S DD's will probably be end-of-life by next winter, I'm looking at ~$100/ea. I got recommended the Maxxis Victra MA-71 from a HPDE and competitive driver. Hopefully you can read this: http://stlbmwcca.org/wwwboard/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5829

If I could find an 18" in the price he got the 17" ($75/ea), I'd be thrilled, but so far the best price I found was around 120/ea.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:47 PM

Budget friendly is what I'm looking for too. Since my A/S DD's will probably be end-of-life by next winter, I'm looking at ~$100/ea. I got recommended the Maxxis Victra MA-71 from a HPDE and competitive driver. Hopefully you can read this: http://stlbmwcca.org/wwwboard/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5829

If I could find an 18" in the price he got the 17" ($75/ea), I'd be thrilled, but so far the best price I found was around 120/ea.
I'm looking into those Maxxis right now! After reading that forum post I'm seriously interested in these tires...to say the least lol!

I'll let you know if I find something in our price range.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr Sinister81
I'm looking into those Maxxis right now! After reading that forum post I'm seriously interested in these tires...to say the least lol!

I'll let you know if I find something in our price range.
I am noticing that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/40 ZR18 is widely available for right around $150/ea and have a 50,000 mile warranty; I've read pretty good DD performance stories on these guys, might well be my next A/S tires. I've seen NT-01 r-comps for $191 (lowest) and just found some rims for $115 that don't make me puke I'm picking up momentum. Now if I can only get my wife to stop spending mad-money on my kids!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:54 AM

I am noticing that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/40 ZR18 is widely available for right around $150/ea and have a 50,000 mile warranty; I've read pretty good DD performance stories on these guys, might well be my next A/S tires. I've seen NT-01 r-comps for $191 (lowest) and just found some rims for $115 that don't make me puke I'm picking up momentum. Now if I can only get my wife to stop spending mad-money on my kids!
Damn kids lol! I found some Maxxis MA-V1 tires for around $135 ea and I'm just gonna mount them right on my BBS rims. I'm not going to be doing this any time soon though, I'm gonna enjoy my Yokos for the time being I might add another set of rims with my tax return this spring though
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

If it snows in your area or get cold, do your self a favor and get dedicated winter tires. All Season tires are not all season. but if where you live dont get too cold or any snow then might be alright with A/S.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

^ Sinister lives in Virginia; it gets colder and some snow, but nothing like the MI or northern states. I lived in Dayton, so I know you will get a bit more snow than STL, about the same as KC actually -- sans the plains blizzards from the winds. For me, the depth of the snow will relegate the Evo to "parked" status once theres a chance of chunks of snow falling off of other cars and trucks wheel arches. The "chunks" are often packed hard ice/snow and they'll FUBAR the FMIC if you hit one on the hwy. Hence my midwestern and paranoid choice to opt for A/S's and let my 4x4 get me places when the intercooler gets to be "at risk"
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:45 AM

^ Sinister lives in Virginia; it gets colder and some snow, but nothing like the MI or northern states. I lived in Dayton, so I know you will get a bit more snow than STL, about the same as KC actually -- sans the plains blizzards from the winds. For me, the depth of the snow will relegate the Evo to "parked" status once theres a chance of chunks of snow falling off of other cars and trucks wheel arches. The "chunks" are often packed hard ice/snow and they'll FUBAR the FMIC if you hit one on the hwy. Hence my midwestern and paranoid choice to opt for A/S's and let my 4x4 get me places when the intercooler gets to be "at risk"
Yeah, the winters here are pretty mild compared to the areas mentioned above. When all is said and done there will probably be about 4 days where I'd have to be concerned with driving in the snow. Last year we were hit by two blizzards and the roads were only an issue for my Mustang 5 or 6 days. I'm pretty sure the Evo will perform better in the snow than my Mustang once I put some ASRs on it.

Quick Reply: Hello...new here