Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hello...new here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello...new here

Hello all!

I just purchased a brand new 2010 Evo MR (phantom black) last week and I thought I'd join a forum so I can learn more about the car I now own. So far the car has been a dream! I've owned a lot of cars and the only car that comes close to the Evo was the 2003 BMW M3 I had a while back. I still can't believe how much fun the Evo is to drive!!!

I plan on keeping things pretty much stock for right now because, lets face it, the car is nicely setup off the lot! So far the only thing I actually have lined up is window tinting. I've been reading on here over the past few days and I've noticed people mentioning moleskin, and that it should be done prior to any window tinting? I'm going to research this further because this is something that I'm not familiar with.

Other than that I will probably switch out the tire/wheel combo at some point eventhough I am loving the set of BBS wheels it has now.

Speaking of tires, I live in Northern Virginia and I was wondering if somebody could suggest a few good sets of winter tires. We don't get a ton of snow here, but I get the feeling that the Yokos on there now won't cut it.

After driving the Evo for a week I have absolutely no complaints about the car at all! I love the twin-clutch transmission, it's a lot like the SMG system in the M3, which is exactly what I was expecting! I was rolling in a 2008 Mustang GT Cali Special prior to the Evo and I was looking specifically for a car that rivaled the M3 and the Evo was the closest thing I could find...and I actually enjoy driving the Evo more!

This is my first Asian car, but I have always followed the Evo as it's always been one of my favorite models. After test driving the car I knew that I had to make it mine...I'm sure all of you know that feeling all too well though!

Anyways, that's all I have for now and I'll be posting pics up here real soon!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr Sinister81
Hello all!

I just purchased a brand new 2010 Evo MR (phantom black) last week and I thought I'd join a forum so I can learn more about the car I now own. So far the car has been a dream! I've owned a lot of cars and the only car that comes close to the Evo was the 2003 BMW M3 I had a while back. I still can't believe how much fun the Evo is to drive!!!

I plan on keeping things pretty much stock for right now because, lets face it, the car is nicely setup off the lot! So far the only thing I actually have lined up is window tinting. I've been reading on here over the past few days and I've noticed people mentioning moleskin, and that it should be done prior to any window tinting? I'm going to research this further because this is something that I'm not familiar with.

Other than that I will probably switch out the tire/wheel combo at some point eventhough I am loving the set of BBS wheels it has now.

Speaking of tires, I live in Northern Virginia and I was wondering if somebody could suggest a few good sets of winter tires. We don't get a ton of snow here, but I get the feeling that the Yokos on there now won't cut it.

After driving the Evo for a week I have absolutely no complaints about the car at all! I love the twin-clutch transmission, it's a lot like the SMG system in the M3, which is exactly what I was expecting! I was rolling in a 2008 Mustang GT Cali Special prior to the Evo and I was looking specifically for a car that rivaled the M3 and the Evo was the closest thing I could find...and I actually enjoy driving the Evo more!

This is my first Asian car, but I have always followed the Evo as it's always been one of my favorite models. After test driving the car I knew that I had to make it mine...I'm sure all of you know that feeling all too well though!

Anyways, that's all I have for now and I'll be posting pics up here real soon!
Hey man, welcome to the site and congrats on your new baby! I made a thread similar to this just a few days ago and am in the same boat.

Luckily for us, there seem to be a lot of knowledgable folks on this site, and I also wanted to get my windows tinted, and someone pointed me here beforehand, thank god. www.tintprotector.com, apparently the factory weather stripping material will scratch and scuff the hell out of your tint, so buy this guys 'moleskin' kit to prevent it, I just ordered mine and he shipped it out to me within the hour. $29.99.

I plan on taking both to my tint guy and having him do it all at the same time.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:41 AM

Ah, ok! That makes sense. I'll take a look at the moleskin and make sure to add it prior to any tinting work. Good lookin' out!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

If your looking for winter tires, check out the Dunlop wintersport 3d's. They are one of the few that are speed rated. I have used them in Germany on my Audi and will on my EVO. I love them. Also there is a tire that is common in Canada and can be found here is the US but only certain dealers. They start with an N but cant remember the name. Congrats on your new purchase, it is not a matter of IF the mod bug bites it is WHEN. It will be like an addiction, always wanting more. Have fun and enjoy.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:24 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

My friend had blizzaks on his EVO 8 and could launch it at 5500 RPM off the studderbox, and it would barely spin the tires with a good coverage of snow on the ground. The blizzaks were awesome!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
If your looking for winter tires, check out the Dunlop wintersport 3d's. They are one of the few that are speed rated. I have used them in Germany on my Audi and will on my EVO. I love them. Also there is a tire that is common in Canada and can be found here is the US but only certain dealers. They start with an N but cant remember the name. Congrats on your new purchase, it is not a matter of IF the mod bug bites it is WHEN. It will be like an addiction, always wanting more. Have fun and enjoy.
Yeah, man...I'm already feeling it! I never should have logged onto the AMS web site LOL!

Speaking of which...what tends to be the most popular AMS exhaust kit/system? I'm not trying to go crazy spending money because I'm not going to race the Evo or anything, but I would like to hear my stock bov a little bit...or a lot lol!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by RiG
My friend had blizzaks on his EVO 8 and could launch it at 5500 RPM off the studderbox, and it would barely spin the tires with a good coverage of snow on the ground. The blizzaks were awesome!
Thanks, bro! I'm gonna look into these ASAP as winter is starting to get closer and closer now.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Def look into the moleskin before getting your tint. I learned the hard way sadly and now my tint is all scratched up but w.e now I guess. Welcome to the club btw
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr Sinister81
Yeah, man...I'm already feeling it! I never should have logged onto the AMS web site LOL!

Speaking of which...what tends to be the most popular AMS exhaust kit/system? I'm not trying to go crazy spending money because I'm not going to race the Evo or anything, but I would like to hear my stock bov a little bit...or a lot lol!
From what Ive gathered so far, leave the stock BOV alone (best until you up the boost or change turbos) and by adding a CAI like the AMS, it will be louder then you'd ever want it.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
From what Ive gathered so far, leave the stock BOV alone (best until you up the boost or change turbos) and by adding a CAI like the AMS, it will be louder then you'd ever want it.
I've heard the same. I actually mistyped above...I meant to ask about the most popular AMS intake system/kit, not exhaust DOH!!!

Yeah, I don't plan on touching the bov at all. I've heard that switching out the intake system should take care of me being able to hear my stock bov. I'm hoping that's the truth!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think you will hear your BOV as often in a SST equiped evo. While you're accelerating you dont lift off the throttle like you would in a manual evo to shift. As far as I know, the throttle body remains open during shifts on a SST equiped evo and will not create the vacuum needed to open the BOV (until you let off the gas). But correct me if i'm wrong.

ps: congrats on your purchase
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
I dont think you will hear your BOV as often in a SST equiped evo. While you're accelerating you dont lift off the throttle like you would in a manual evo to shift. As far as I know, the throttle body remains open during shifts on a SST equiped evo and will not create the vacuum needed to open the BOV (until you let off the gas). But correct me if i'm wrong.

great point, I didnt even think about that.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
I also wanted to get my windows tinted, and someone pointed me here beforehand, thank god. www.tintprotector.com, apparently the factory weather stripping material will scratch and scuff the hell out of your tint, so buy this guys 'moleskin' kit to prevent it, I just ordered mine and he shipped it out to me within the hour. $29.99.
+1 Tint Protector's felt is good stuff. Have it on 2 of my cars for over 5 years now.

Recommended A+
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku

DUH!!! Wow...I can't believe I didn't think of this! Thanks for pointing out the obvious, bro! I must need more caffeine lol
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on the new evo and welcome to the forum

-anthony

Quick Reply: Hello...new here