Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Brake pedal "clicky"

Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal "clicky"

I've tried the search function and couldn't find anything. Recently I've noticed that my brake pedal is 'clicky'. By clicky I mean that when I press down on it (lets say stopping at a red light), it feels like it's clicking initially. I've noticed it happens right as you pressure the pedal pressure up (not pushed in all the way). I've checked the pedal itself and nothing seems wrong. By though way I have stock brakes.

Has this every happened to you? What could it be?

THANKS!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

i think you should give your wheels a nice hose down and let them dry for a couple hours. Maybe it is icky dust.

the next option is to monitor if you find yourself braking harder than usual to get to a stop and also an increase in the sound which may turn into grinding. it may be your brake pads in general.

after that option is to take it to the dealer, if it is happening all the time, they should easily be able to replicate it
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it an audible click, or does it almost feel like a detent?

If it isn't in the pedal assy and you're decent enough mechanically I would take a look at your pads and make sure they aren't seized in the calipers. If they are, glass bead (or scrape clean) the pad slides and lubricate them with some of this: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Silicone-Pa.../dp/B0015PI34O (side note- Don't use antiseize like many people will tell you, it's not a lubricant, it just prevents corrosion!) When you're done make sure the pads move freely in the caliper and remember to pump the pedal back up before driving!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Its not audible, but you can feel it. I haven't noticed any braking issues (and I haven't tracked the car) but I'll check the pads.

Originally Posted by KX250Fmotoracer
Is it an audible click, or does it almost feel like a detent?

If it isn't in the pedal assy and you're decent enough mechanically I would take a look at your pads and make sure they aren't seized in the calipers. If they are, glass bead (or scrape clean) the pad slides and lubricate them with some of this: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Silicone-Paste-oz-08946/dp/B0015PI34O (side note- Don't use antiseize like many people will tell you, it's not a lubricant, it just prevents corrosion!) When you're done make sure the pads move freely in the caliper and remember to pump the pedal back up before driving!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:57 PM

I have the same noise
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Its not so much a noise just the feel of the pedal, it feels like something is clicking or something. Its annoying me big time.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by erniebu
I've tried the search function and couldn't find anything. Recently I've noticed that my brake pedal is 'clicky'. By clicky I mean that when I press down on it (lets say stopping at a red light), it feels like it's clicking initially. I've noticed it happens right as you pressure the pedal pressure up (not pushed in all the way). I've checked the pedal itself and nothing seems wrong. By though way I have stock brakes.

Has this every happened to you? What could it be?

THANKS!
Had a similar issue in a VW GTI I had years ago. In that case it was the brake light sensor. Would audibly click when brake was depressed.

Im not sure what the setup is in the EVO but its easy to check if its the sensor or something similar.

Park the car (preferably somewhere dark) and activate the brake pedal with your hand. See if the brake light coming on coincides with the click. Easy to check.

In the VW I replaced the sensor. If its same thing may be easy also with the EVO.