Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Brothers rivalry

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:59 PM
Pep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brothers rivalry

The rivalry is starting to build up between my brother and I.

He's having his '98 integra gsr built by a reputable honda shop in our area and he keeps teasing me that I'll have to play catch up with him on the track next summer. (road course)

I have attached a pic he sent me two days ago.

On top of an almost fully built motor (needs cams) and the forced induction addition, his car is completely gutted (lightweight) and his suspension is all done up as well. He'll do the brakes sometime during the winter.
I won't know the numbers for awhile but he was planning on hitting somewhere around 400 whp without cams.

So here I am with my stock 2010 evo x. I definitely don't want to be left behind him on the track or I at least want to give him a run for his money.

It's currently stored away for the winter, so it's time to shop for parts!
Here's what I have gotten so far:

AMS intake
AMS UICP + LICP
AMS downpipe
AMS high-flow cat
Tomei Ti expreme cat-back
Cobb accessport
Grimmspeed 3 port BCS
Samco rad hoses
CBRD aluminum rad
gauges: wideband, boost, oil press, water temp

I plan on using AMS e-tuning services to have my car tuned as there are no evo tuning shop anywhere close to my place.

If my brother gets to 400 whp like he is hoping to, I will need more then that. I was thinking about getting the FP green turbo, upgrade intercooler, upgrade fuel pump and injectors and maybe a set of GSC S1 cams?

I don't know, what do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Brothers rivalry-img_2559-small.jpg  

Last edited by Pep; Nov 28, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pep
I'll have to play catch up with him on the track next summer.
Are you talking about drag racing or road course?

An FP Green would be a fine choice for road course but I'd suggest spending your money on suspension, brakes, tires, etc first.

If you're talking about drag racing then I would go with at least a Red, especially if you're running pump gas.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
Pep

I meant road course!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

i would do the red if your going to spend the money and then youll need injectors and fuel pump also i would scrap the accessport and spend the money to get a real tune i hate the cobb for evo 8 and 9s,
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:30 PM
Pep

I thought the X would have done well with the stock brakes and suspension set up... even with the increased power..

I will get the Stoptech braided brake lines for sure and I'll see how the stock brake pads perform before changing them.

I will also make sure I have all the proper fluids before hitting the track.

As for the suspension, when I upgrade, I would love to have some JRZ coilovers, but they're so expensive!! I have to check what else I can get that is cheaper, but high quality.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Not gonna lie, that honda motor looks sweet.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

His car is going to be gutted and have suspension. You also should do a weight reduction and suspension. You can get Robispec KW's for coilovers. Also get some light weight wheels.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

You'll want different pads if your actually trying to chase someone down/beat their time...

Stock pads just aren't going to suffice,

Without a turbo upgrade he is going to have you in the power department, but in the end it is a 12 year old FWD car against your evo...

You should have it in spades in the handling department,

You're right about the stock stuff being great, but it's designed with the masses in mind... Not to just cater to the track...

Get some track pieces suspension wise, you won't be sorry... I got KWs last summer and I don't regret them one bit,

You'll be surprised how far your mods will take you power wise, but handling is going to be key...

Also, you might want to add an intercooler to your list of mods...

*Edit*

I wish my brother was into road course racing,

He just got a 74 Charger and won't stop talking about how he'll crush me at the strip and I honestly couldn't care less...

Last edited by MicMcKee; Nov 28, 2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

It looks possibly like a B18 GS-R swap judging from the angle of the picture. It definitely definitely looks like a very but very healthy build. If he cut up his integra and lighten it might be a problem in the 1/4mi, auto x I have no clue cause I've never auto x before.

On the other hand your X is awd, with bolt-ons you can easily break into 320-360awhp safely on stock turbo, and with the combo of an FPRed you shouldn't have no worries. Upgrade your suspension all the way around and drivetrain as well. Oh yeah, it doesn't matter how old is your car, you can still catch the beats from a 20 year old plus car, depending on how it is built.

Last edited by KJ82; Nov 28, 2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
He'll have serious traction issues on a road course with that kind of power. But in rolling acceleration, you can kiss your Evo goodbye. To equal the power:weight of a 400whp 2500 pound gutted GSR, you'd need 560whp in a 3500 pound X. Good luck with that. Boosted Hondas are nasty fast.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by noize
he'll have serious traction issues on a road course with that kind of power. But in rolling acceleration, you can kiss your evo goodbye. To equal the power:weight of a 400whp 2500 pound gutted gsr, you'd need 560whp in a 3500 pound x. Good luck with that. :d boosted hondas are nasty fast.
+1
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pep
I thought the X would have done well with the stock brakes and suspension set up... even with the increased power..
It's all relative. I went the power route and get passed by Miatas, etc in the corners and it annoys me. If you drive hard at all then you'll need pads, air ducts, and good fluid. The calipers are great so the Evo is in good shape there.

I do like your thinking with the Green but I would stick with stock cams. The Green doesn't really need to be revved out and only the aggressive cams seem to do much. I'd rather have spool on most tracks.

I would love to have some JRZ coilovers, but they're so expensive!!
I'm not sure which ones you're looking at. If I did it again I'd try the Ohlins DFV. I have Robispec Streets right now.

Last edited by mlomker; Nov 28, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Pep

yeah, I guess it's all about balance. The thing is that my brother will have pretty much all areas covered: Power, weight, suspension, brakes, lightweight Works Emotion rims, drivetrain (clutch + flywheel I think)

One thing for sure is that I am not gutting my 2010 evo x! Maybe in 10 years from now if I still have it... So I will have to carry around all that weight.

Power wise, from what I've read so far, the FP Green seems to be a good choice as the turbo lag seems to be pretty close to what we get from the stock turbo. I like that. And people with Greens and bolt-ons seem to be hitting over 400whp and not blow up their engine.
I've seen threads from people with FP reds who blew up their internally stock engine. I know I'll be at risk and I'm ready for the consequences, but I rather put the odds on my side..

With that kind of power I'll probably have to do a clutch job eventually, that's another thing I'll have to look at. As for the brakes, what kind of pads do you guys prefer?

I was looking at the JRZ RS coilovers. I'll definitely look up the KW's and the Ohlins DFV although from a quick search they seem to be around 4k and that is still over what I think I want to pay for coilovers.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pep
yeah, I guess it's all about balance. The thing is that my brother will have pretty much all areas covered: Power, weight, suspension, brakes, lightweight Works Emotion rims, drivetrain (clutch + flywheel I think)
Clutch is a must for the amount of power I'll be putting to the ground, and you must not forget the LSD (even though it's not a clutch-type LSD).

Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Pep

Originally Posted by 98gsr
Clutch is a must for the amount of power I'll be putting to the ground, and you must not forget the LSD (even though it's not a clutch-type LSD).

Here's the brother! Stop spying on me!! Go back to your Honda forums!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Brothers rivalry