Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking at an X....Few questions....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an X....Few questions....

Well guys I went a test drove and Evo X and I was impressed with everything BUT straight line performance. I actually thought it was VERY slow. Comparing it to my old ws6, my current 600whp vette and the G8 I test drove right after the Evo.

Anyways Im not trying to bash on the car or anything cause Im really interested in buying one. I want a fast fun daily driver that every time I get in and drive I have a blast. I really would like to try road racing too!

How reliable are the X's whens modded? My buddy has an Evo VIII with right around 400whp and so far hes had to build the engine and transfer case put on an FP Green and every bolt on possible along with cams. Is this what I will have to do to get 400whp out of the X?

What stuff starts to go when you start putting power down? Transmission? Clutch? Transfer case?

Would it be possible to make good numbers just by bolting on say an FP Green with supporting full system? What kind of numbers would I be looking at? I really would like to have around 400whp since that is what my buddy puts down and his car is an absolute blast to drive. His car was actually REALLY fun before he put on the FP green too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
first fact...your buddy with the evo viii is a bad example...viii/ix's can handle 400 whp+ all day long...stock engine/stock tranny/stock x-case

so don't listen to/use that as an example

an fp green on a X with 93 octane properly set up will produce 420-ish whp

the straight line performance is certainly not very impressive in stock form...that's a fact...comparing it to a 600 whp vette is 100% silly btw
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

the clutch life is dependent on driving style, power level, and number of launches

tranny and x-case are not known issues at this time

these cars are designed for the twisties and auto-x/road courses...they'll never blow your mind on a straight away

Last edited by chaotichoax; Dec 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
first fact...your buddy with the evo viii is a bad example...viii/ix's can handle 400 whp+ all day long...stock engine/stock tranny/stock x-case

so don't listen to/use that as an example

an fp green on a X with 93 octane properly set up will produce 420-ish whp

the straight line performance is certainly not very impressive in stock form...that's a fact...comparing it to a 600 whp vette is 100% silly btw

When you say properly set up what do you mean? Cause Im really wanting to leave the car as stock as possible. Stock exhaust and everything if possible. Thats why I am curious how much hp it would put down with JUST the FP Green? I know it will be no where near the vette and Im fine with that. Im actually selling the Vette cause I dont like making monthly payments on something that sits in the garage 75% of the time and I want something that I can daily drive and has a back seat.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I doubt you'll find someone that strapped a fpgreen on a stock car

my suggestions would be limited to the following

NEED:
larger injectors
larger fuel pump
retune

WANT:
test pipe/high flow cat
catback exhaust
upper ic pipe (simple to swap out and worthwhile gains)
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Stock exhaust and everything if possible.
The stock cat is a big restriction. If you have E85 in your area then a very basic set of mods with E85 on a stock turbo makes for a very fun car (perhaps 360whp but more than that in tq). Most people really over-do their mods to get that last 10% of power. If you want to save money then just decide up-front to leave that 10% on the table.

You should also keep in mind that an Evo 8/9 is lighter than a X. The X will be slower at the same power level. You make a trade off in creature comforts and safety with the X.

Be careful with how much power you expect in a 'daily driver'. I consider stock turbo + bolt ons to be super reliable but even at 400whp you're crossing that line from reliability to 'toy' and that's risky if this is your only car.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 2, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bolt ons and an FP will get you right about 400whp as stated earlier.

Dont compare it to the WS6 for straight line lol. I did that and while my car isnt the slowest in a straight line, its not where the car shines. Its a great DD especially the MR. But remember you pay to play with Mods. Ive even learned that the hard way and I am at that 400whp mark. All depends on how you drive it
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by mlomker
The stock cat is a big restriction. If you have E85 in your area then a very basic set of mods with E85 on a stock turbo makes for a very fun car (perhaps 360whp but more than that in tq). Most people really over-do their mods to get that last 10% of power. If you want to save money then just decide up-front to leave that 10% on the table.

You should also keep in mind that an Evo 8/9 is lighter than a X. The X will be slower at the same power level. You make a trade off in creature comforts and safety with the X.

Be careful with how much power you expect in a 'daily driver'. I consider stock turbo + bolt ons to be super reliable but even at 400whp you're crossing that line from reliability to 'toy' and that's risky if this is your only car.
This isn't my only car. But it will be my daily driver. I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire beater car. I don't think 400whp is too much especially in a awd car. The other car I'm looking into is a Pontiac G8 GT and 400rwhp is very easily obtainable.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Get the G8
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Get the G8
Based on what?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MicMcKee
Based on what?
Sounds to me like he is looking for a straight line performance car. He wants 400whp with little to no problems. He is comparing a 600whp Vette to the Evo.

Sounds like the Vette or G8 is a better choice. If he is looking for a Drag car the G8 will be a better choice. I use my Evo as a drag car and am at that 400whp mark and if I didnt have to DD my car and deal with winter I would of went with the G8. 400whp in the Evo will require upgrades to the MC, clutch, and a decent list of mods. Spray the G8 with Nitrous and some bolt ons and he will have that power for less and probably with less parts requiring upgrading
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Get the G8
Can't tell, are you being sarcastic? If not why do you say get the G8?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Can't tell, are you being sarcastic? If not why do you say get the G8?
Check the post above yours...

He is talking if you just want straight line performance...

But I think he might have misunderstood your first post,

You said you liked it EXCEPT for straight line, so you were looking to see what it would take to get that to a more suitable level...

Not that you only cared about straight line...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

My friend has a G8 GT and i have a 2010 evo x, the only performance mods i have are just testpipe, and drop in air filter. He has exhaust and intake.

Ive taken him out every time we have raced from a roll or a dig by at-least half a car "closed course of course".
short shifter and bushings help if you plan to daily it makes it funner to drive.

GET THE EVO !!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MicMcKee
Check the post above yours...

He is talking if you just want straight line performance...

But I think he might have misunderstood your first post,

You said you liked it EXCEPT for straight line, so you were looking to see what it would take to get that to a more suitable level...

Not that you only cared about straight line...
No I don't only care about straight line performance but it is important too. I just want a fun daily driver that I nicer then my ws6 was or my vette. I'm selling the vette so I'm sure I will miss the speed so I need something that is decently fast. 400whp seems about right.

Quick Reply: Looking at an X....Few questions....