Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Death by F.A.S.T. key?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death by F.A.S.T. key?

I'm reading my evo X manual and there's some interesting/unusual stuff in here.. we have a box for tissues, lube the rubber seals on the doors with silicon in the winter, and the F.A.S.T. key can cause a malfunction in implanted medical devices.. yes, don't bring g'pa or g'ma in your ride because it might be there last if they have a pacemaker..

All kidding aside, I understand the basic principle.. basically implanted medical devices such as infusion pumps for diabetics or pain, implanted simulators, or pacemakers, or even some ear implants send/receive data from a magnet. If you have one of these devices to adjust it's parameters a magnet that's connected to a programming device is placed over your skin. So, the F.A.S.T. key communicates with the car the same way.. electromagnetic waves. There's a warning in the manual stating the key can interfere with these devices.

Anyway, the info is on page 3-17 for 2011 evo x .. thought it was interesting, and I wanted those with family or friends with implanted devices to be aware... although unlikely it would do anything..I could see how it's possible.. I guess that's why there's information in the manual about it.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

That would be an awful way to die, I feel like we will see this on 1000 ways to die sometime soon.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

****, i always wanted to take my father along for a lapping day in my car. i guess its good we live 3000 miles apart. he has a baclofen pump
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

pacemaker manufacture..

This article describes the smart key system available in many automobiles, and provides information regarding its use around pacemaker and/or defibrillator patients.
􀂾 Some vehicle makers caution that electromagnetic waves transmitted by smart key system antennas may interfere with pacemakers or defibrillators1

(they should add other implanted electromagnetic devices..)
http://www.bostonscientific.com/temp...ems_101408.pdf
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bradze
****, i always wanted to take my father along for a lapping day in my car. i guess its good we live 3000 miles apart. he has a baclofen pump
if you go to the website for the manufactue of his pump it should have some information there... I read somewhere else you should stay 9 inchs away.. the problem with that is the car has 5 internal/external receivers... almost anywhere you sit you're around that range.. I would guess. The manual shows the general location, but not exact. Anyway, you can call or email the manufacture of his infusion pump and they with tell you... the boston scientific pdf above says there cardiac devices are compatible.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:21 PM

I'm going to guess this is like the warning to turn off cell phones before the airplane takes of...in reality there's almost no chance of anything interfering, but they are erring on the side of safety.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, thanks for the info, I will need to warn my grandparents before they get on.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are three types of keys most commonly seen in cars today:

standard key: just a key that does its job of unlocking things. some GM vehicles have this type of key; however, their ignition cylinders have a resistance value that it needs to start the car. this makes it more difficult to hotwire the vehicle.

passive RF "chipped" key: no battery in it, but has a "pill" microchip imbedded into the key that wirelessly energizes when it gets close enough to the ignition cylinder. the chip is a security feature that registers the key to the vehicle, so even if you have a spare key that is bare metal it will only open the doors, not start the car.

active RF "chipped" key: this is like our fast keys. it is just like a passive RF chipped key but it has a battery inside the fob that constantly broadcasts a small signal which has a range of about 3ft or so. most cars have numerous antennas that look for this signal. my master mecp guide states a camry with this style of key has 9 antennae throughout the car. also like the passive style, the active fob is registered to the car.

the downside to active RF chipped keys is that when the battery dies, you cannot start the vehicle. fortunately for our keys (and most other active RF keys), they have a back-up. you can actually use your fast keyfob as a passive RF key when it has no battery. you do this by taking out the metal key inside the fastkey, flipping that 180 degrees and then re-inserting the handle part of the metal into where you took it out. you can then unclip the plastic tumbler from your ignition cylinder and insert your key just like you would a normal style of vehicle. the cylinder can wirelessly energize the microchip inside the fob. so if you're worried about interferring with peoples' pacemakers or other medical devices, you can always take out the battery and use it as a passive key so it doesn't broadcast the signal.

something interesting you can always have fun with is if you wrap any passive or active key in tinfoil (the grip part), it will not be able to broadcast any kind of signal, reqaurdless of how close it is to the ignition cylinder. this is how i always determine if i'm unsure if one of my customers cars has a chipped key or not, before i do a remote start install on their vehicle. it's how i know if they need a bypass module or not usually i can tell just by looking at it though.

Last edited by lancerarmstrong; Jan 9, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
there are three types of keys most commonly seen in cars today:

standard key: just a key that does its job of unlocking things. some GM vehicles have this type of key; however, their ignition cylinders have a resistance value that it needs to start the car. this makes it more difficult to hotwire the vehicle.

passive RF "chipped" key: no battery in it, but has a "pill" microchip imbedded into the key that wirelessly energizes when it gets close enough to the ignition cylinder. the chip is a security feature that registers the key to the vehicle, so even if you have a spare key that is bare metal it will only open the doors, not start the car.

active RF "chipped" key: this is like our fast keys. it is just like a passive RF chipped key but it has a battery inside the fob that constantly broadcasts a small signal which has a range of about 3ft or so. most cars have numerous antennas that look for this signal. my master mecp guide states a camry with this style of key has 9 antennae throughout the car. also like the passive style, the active fob is registered to the car.

the downside to active RF chipped keys is that when the battery dies, you cannot start the vehicle. fortunately for our keys (and most other active RF keys), they have a back-up. you can actually use your fast keyfob as a passive RF key when it has no battery. you do this by taking out the metal key inside the fastkey, flipping that 180 degrees and then re-inserting the handle part of the metal into where you took it out. you can then unclip the plastic tumbler from your ignition cylinder and insert your key just like you would a normal style of vehicle. the cylinder can wirelessly energize the microchip inside the fob. so if you're worried about interferring with peoples' pacemakers or other medical devices, you can always take out the battery and use it as a passive key so it doesn't broadcast the signal.

something interesting you can always have fun with is if you wrap any passive or active key in tinfoil (the grip part), it will not be able to broadcast any kind of signal, reqaurdless of how close it is to the ignition cylinder. this is how i always determine if i'm unsure if one of my customers cars has a chipped key or not, before i do a remote start install on their vehicle. it's how i know if they need a bypass module or not usually i can tell just by looking at it though.

ive actually been able to start my car with the back up metal key without the fob being in the car. happened only once,......then again, only tried it once.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blincoln423
ive actually been able to start my car with the back up metal key without the fob being in the car. happened only once,......then again, only tried it once.
that should never happen. might want to get that checked out!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:45 AM

I like to tell people that if I start the car with the actual metal key and put it in super sport...thats when all Hell will break loose.

Works good on girls.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

anybody actually lube the door seals in the winter? I hear it's a good thing to do but would you use spray or some other kinda silicone lube?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by luvboost
anybody actually lube the door seals in the winter? I hear it's a good thing to do but would you use spray or some other kinda silicone lube?
manual says silicone lube, but does not specify spray vs wipe on.. I don't know about this..... I'm guessing nobody actually does this? I guess I could see how it might extend the life of the rubber by preventing it from freezing stuck? I opened my trunk today, and when it popped open I was thinking about putting on the silicon because you could here it sticking/frozen stuck.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

where is the box for the tissue?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stageup
where is the box for the tissue?
Open your center console up, and look under the lid.

Quick Reply: Death by F.A.S.T. key?