Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Can't stop driving my car!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I love the GSR/5 speed manual....but over 90% of my cars have been manual transmissions....I love the feeling of shifting, the control, the power, and my GSR has the metal gear knob and hand brake lever....they feel so good to me
Best shifter ever was my Mazda RX8's but the EVO feels very good as well.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:48 PM

I had a tough time deciding between the two also, happy with the manual now, but not having that 6th gear on the freeway is a terrible thing
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

shouldve gotten the GSR.. only if you drive with NO traffic.. hehehe
@ 600 miles on my car, i took it to the canyons and fell in love on how it handled it self.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:41 PM

I'm starting to REALLY appreciate the SST already. The delayed throttle response from a stop is one of the only things that bothers me still. My freaking 1990 cadillac brougham starts off the line better in day to day driving.

The best way I can describe the decision in the end is if there was only a GSR model, I still would've bought the car. If I'd bought the GSR, aside from the gf not being able to drive it, I probably wouldn't have ever thought about the decision again. The opposite is true for the SST though, and that is a telling sign of where my heart lies as far as cars go.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:55 PM

I had my heart set on a gsr but this thread really makes me think MR would be better for me
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xwwgsr
I had a tough time deciding between the two also, happy with the manual now, but not having that 6th gear on the freeway is a terrible thing
I agree with you 100%. That 5th gear is bad on the freeway. I drive 80mph and my tach stays at 3800-3900 rpm. My passat 1.8 t has 5 speeds as well but the 5th keeps it under 3400 rpm at 80 mph. If the gsr had a 6th gear it wold have been great. I bet we would have seen 28 mpg constantly.
Dont get me wrong, i love the car a lot. I had it since saturday afternoon and i put 559 miles on it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by stephze
I'm starting to REALLY appreciate the SST already. The delayed throttle response from a stop is one of the only things that bothers me still. My freaking 1990 cadillac brougham starts off the line better in day to day driving.

The best way I can describe the decision in the end is if there was only a GSR model, I still would've bought the car. If I'd bought the GSR, aside from the gf not being able to drive it, I probably wouldn't have ever thought about the decision again. The opposite is true for the SST though, and that is a telling sign of where my heart lies as far as cars go.
Having owned an MR before my current GSR, I think I may be able to help.

First of all. Drive in manual sport mode. All times. Don't even consider auto / normal mode unless you're in traffic.

Next you need to learn to control how the clutches engage with your feet. You have complete control over this.

Learn to left foot brake. There is no reason you shouldn't be left foot braking now that you can dedicate that foot to the brake pedal. It's faster than moving your throttle foot and can balance the car more.

The clutches disengage and engage based on pressure of the brake pedal, pressure of the gas pedal, rpms, heat, etc.

To get a good take off, barely hold the car in place with the brake (don't press hard). Get it so it wants to creep. Next when you take off, DO NOT STAB it. Gas it until it gets going then shift into second then stab it. It takes some practice but you'll get it.

If you are gasing and braking at the same time you're going to confuse the transmission as it will start toggling between engaging and disengaging. This is how people overheat the transmission.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cla2000
I agree with you 100%. That 5th gear is bad on the freeway. I drive 80mph and my tach stays at 3800-3900 rpm. My passat 1.8 t has 5 speeds as well but the 5th keeps it under 3400 rpm at 80 mph. If the gsr had a 6th gear it wold have been great. I bet we would have seen 28 mpg constantly.
Dont get me wrong, i love the car a lot. I had it since saturday afternoon and i put 559 miles on it.
Can always upgrade the final drive from Shep.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

There really is no legitimate reason why Mitsu did not put a 6th gear into the GSR.

I have heard there is no room. Sorry that doesnt hold water as the SST tranny is quite a bit bigger and there is lots of room.

I'll bet a steak dinner that its a marketing maneuver to push those over to the SST.

Personally I love the SST. Its the best tranny I have ever had, I have even had a Supra TT with the 6 speed.