Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What does it take go fast?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does it take go fast?

Whats goin on everyone?

I've been looking on these forums for a while now, slowly building up my knowledge of evos, and im VERY excited to get my hands on one and start modding. I've met acouple of evo drivers around my area and got to test drive an 450hp evo IX and damn was it fast my question to you guys is.....

What would it take to make an evo VIII/IX push 450-500hp and still be reliable?
What would i roughly need to upgrade so that the car doesnt break on me?
What would i be looking at as far as price to build something like this?

Same question for the evo X too as i am looking at both cars and not sure as what to get yet.

btw i plan on keeping this car for a long time...
I understand that things on a car breaks after a while, but im just referring to common problems you guys run into when putting power into the car.

And i understand that each response is subjective and i will keep that in mind, Any and all help/advice you can give i would greatly appreciate. thx
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

What does it take to go fast... Money.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking for longevity? buy an Evo X brand new, tint the windows and enjoy it. buy the factory extended warranty and don't mod it.

Modding your car with the intent to keep it from breaking is unrealistic. You have to expect that every mod you put on the car, can/will impact it's warranty. The old expression is "you gotta pay to play"

that being said, look into your basic bolt on's and tune it every time you put something on it. this is of course for optimal results. my car at 2000 mile is getting an entirely new airflow system, except the Turbo itself. this of course means that if a motor problem is linked to these parts in any way, it will be denied coverage. the custom tune on the ECU will void any warranty coverage on anything electronic. the Pioneer radio going in, will void anything to cover the Rockford Fosgate system. The suspension work will deny any coverage that may be related to undercarriage damage.

the very bleak reality for the aftermarket scene
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
in importance :

seat time
seat time
seat time

tires - pads - brake fluids.

if you really want to mod it : TBE - intake - tune
And you should be set, for a long time.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 29, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
looking for longevity? buy an Evo X brand new, tint the windows and enjoy it. buy the factory extended warranty and don't mod it.

Modding your car with the intent to keep it from breaking is unrealistic. You have to expect that every mod you put on the car, can/will impact it's warranty. The old expression is "you gotta pay to play"

that being said, look into your basic bolt on's and tune it every time you put something on it. this is of course for optimal results. my car at 2000 mile is getting an entirely new airflow system, except the Turbo itself. this of course means that if a motor problem is linked to these parts in any way, it will be denied coverage. the custom tune on the ECU will void any warranty coverage on anything electronic. the Pioneer radio going in, will void anything to cover the Rockford Fosgate system. The suspension work will deny any coverage that may be related to undercarriage damage.

the very bleak reality for the aftermarket scene
Trust me i kno stuff aint cheep, i kno that doing pretty much anything voids the warranty and i'm willing to accept that loss to get what i want.

I was asking what were common problems that you may no of that happens to evos when they start increasing the power. I wasn't saying i wanted a break free car.

But thanks for the advice anyways.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:48 AM

lol ummmmmm thx?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read this good advice: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

-B
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08GsrX
What does it take to go fast... Money.
+1 lol

Money is a big part of it. The actually part is doing your research and picking the parts very carefully. It is really easy to screw up the planing on your car. Call a shop that is reputable and trust able nation wide and ask them for their advice. I can only speak from my own experience and AMS and Cobb were those two shops for me. I havent had any experience with others so I am not dissing them or anything, just my own experience with AMS and Cobb (plano, tx) was just amazing.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
+1 lol

Money is a big part of it. The actually part is doing your research and picking the parts very carefully. It is really easy to screw up the planing on your car. Call a shop that is reputable and trust able nation wide and ask them for their advice. I can only speak from my own experience and AMS and Cobb were those two shops for me. I havent had any experience with others so I am not dissing them or anything, just my own experience with AMS and Cobb (plano, tx) was just amazing.
That is good advice. Call up a reputable shop and talk to them.

For 450whp you are going to need an aftermarket turbo. That is at least $1600 alone, without installation and everything. You will need a fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, intake, intercooler, install & tuning.. if you are just covering the basics. For just that I would say around $6000ish. If you have E-85 in your area then it would be easier to hit your goal.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

If no e85 you can atleast do 93 with some sort of meth/alchy injection to get you the power
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Lol what's this for??
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a Fast doll! If you have no clue what I'm talking about search "VW Fast commercial" on YouTube and watch them all.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
thanks already did.

Originally Posted by T6
+1 lol

yea i figured that, im gonna b ok money wise and i was planning on going to ams(chicago) sense i got family up there, i fig if anyone can work with evos its them. thx

Originally Posted by ugakirk
That is good advice. Call up a reputable shop and talk to them.

For 450whp you are going to need an aftermarket turbo. That is at least $1600 alone, without installation and everything. You will need a fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, intake, intercooler, install & tuning.. if you are just covering the basics. For just that I would say around $6000ish. If you have E-85 in your area then it would be easier to hit your goal.
hmmmm thanks for the tip.

And yes i plan on calling up shops and getting advice from the exp, but i just wanted to ask the forums and see what help/advice yall could give

thx tho!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea I would expect to spend about 8-9k just because there is always going to be little other things you have to buy. And then you are going to want wheels/suspension mods too.. it never stops..

Quick Reply: What does it take go fast?