Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

which model evox should i get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which model evox should i get?

hey guys im currently looking at getting an brand new evo but dont know which model to get any help?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you want an automatic or manual transmission? The decision really is as simple as that The MR does have some extra handling goodies (suspension/wheels/brakes) over the GSR, but the transmission is the biggest one.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MR would be a great dd. I think for more of a pure driving experience, I would get the GSR. There is something about rowing through the gears with the boost coming out that is pure delight. Either way, you win.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:16 PM

yeah the biggest difference is the 5 speed vs 6 speed paddle shift. this would be my dd car, i just dont want the tranny taking a crap on me
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

The SST transmission has proven to be reliable and durable, but frequent fluid and filter changes is key (unfortunately, these are expensive items). The SST has grown on me the more I've gotten experience with it, but I'm still glad I opted for the GSR with 5-speed manual.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with everyone else. I got the gsr cause I love going through the gears.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 PM

If you like driving stick, GSR is the way to go. Then do yourself a huge favor and get a short shifter kit with all the bushings and you will never look back. I considered getting the MR at first, but I am SO glad I went with the GSR. Either way though, you'll love it so good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
The SST transmission has proven to be reliable and durable, but frequent fluid and filter changes is key (unfortunately, these are expensive items). The SST has grown on me the more I've gotten experience with it, but I'm still glad I opted for the GSR with 5-speed manual.
What intervals have shown to be effective?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

My friend changes his fluid every 15k and filters every 7,500 or something along those lines, but he's making good power and has aftermarket clutches. I think you'd be fine doing both every 15k though...either way, just be prepared for the cost.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Option 1.) If tracking is what you plan to do, get the MR, shifts faster than humanly possible and is faster around the track than the GSR.

Option 2.) If 0-60 and the 1/4 mile is more important, get the GSR. Road and Track June 0-60 4.3 seconds 1/4 mile is 13 flat!

Option 3.) If you want to save alot of $ and still want a moderately quick car with the EVO look, get the Ralliart.

MR= most expensive
GSR= approximately $ 2500 less than MR
Ralliart= thousands less than either.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:57 AM

Gsr ftw
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:01 AM

MR is 140 lbs (!!!) heavier than the GSR. GSR is 3516 pounds, and with a lighter decent aftermarket exhaust + spare tire removed, it hits low 3400s, which sounds much better to me. MR is 3656 lbs; the weight penalty is a big turn-off for me to be honest.

MR's tranny is actually better for track than daily driving in my opinion. Having to change gears at the track becomes very distracting especially as you brake deeper into the corners. One time, I even almost got into trouble since I mis-shifted and failed to get the car ready for the corner :P

At the streets, it is hard to launch MR fast enough in a stealthy way without flooring the throttle using the launch control, since it momentarily deletes your throttle input to protect the clutches even if you're trying to launch at 4 tenths or so, just a little bit more aggressive than usual. During my test drive, I quickly got annoyed. To be honest, I had the same annoyance when I tried GTI's DSG, too, so I guess this is a common behavior for such trannies. I would love to have this tranny to track the car, especially if it didn't carry the weight penalty, but I want to keep this car as a daily driver, too, so no MR is not for me.

Last edited by oozkarao; Sep 18, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'd go with the GSR

Cheaper and and more exciting to drive
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GSR hands down!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oozkarao
MR is 140 lbs (!!!) heavier than the GSR

No no, sorry friend. The GSR is 3517 and the MR is 3594. Its only 74 lbs difference.

The MR is just a different car. Don't let a few pounds stop you from buying one over the other. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The cost difference for the SST tranny is 2500 bucks.
If you qualify for 0% on the Mitsu finance its $50 bucks a month difference.

If you like shifting all the time get the GSR.. you wont regret it.. If you prefer to sit back and relax, have your hands somewhere else get the MR.

The touring is the heavy pig. At least it was in 2010 because it had so many features as standard. So depending on how you equip your GSR you might be heavier than the MR.

Buy the one you want. Drive both cars, drive them both on a highway at 80, that was my personal, decision. If the GSR had a 6 speed manual, I would have been all over it. To me its just not a highway car, but that's totally my 2 cents.

Plus I had to have leather and heated seats... My wife didn't care how much I spent or what I got as long as it had leather and heated seats.

Finally, the SST if your going to MOD...and you really want to take care of the SST on the MR.. I spend right at $500 per year extra in maintenance over the GSR.

Quick Reply: which model evox should i get?