Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

ARK STB w/ FAST key

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARK STB w/ FAST key

So.. I'm looking into this part...

http://www.arkdesign-us.com/products...le-turbo-timer

And the more I look at it, the simplicity of install and placement is appealing. I've doing some extensive bolt on work to the car, and I think a good turbo timer wouldn't not be a bad decision with pushing the turbo harder than factory now.

that being said, tell me why this is a bad idea. I know the FAST key won't arm while the timer is running. However, I know FAST has a 30 second timer on it bfore it auto locks the doors if the ignition is cut and the doors closed. now I imagine it takes 5 - 10 seconds to get out and close the car door after cutting the ignition. by this logic the car should auto lock itself 35-40 seconds after I cut the ingition. leaving a very short period of time the car will be running and unlocked simultaneously.

With turbo timers, has anyone found they can still manually lock the doors with the button on the handle, or with the FOB? Just n general.

Thanks again all.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was checking this piece out myself and I got rejected when I tried to make the purchase online. Let me know if it works out, I might still get one...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

I understand that this is appealing, but you don't really need it. It's just a waste of money.

Someone else can chime in, but I always thought that turbos that were water cooled didn't need turbo timers?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fractur3
I understand that this is appealing, but you don't really need it. It's just a waste of money.

Someone else can chime in, but I always thought that turbos that were water cooled didn't need turbo timers?
I've heard this too. The reason for a turbo timer from my understanding is to keep the oil circulating through the turbo to prevent coking, but when you have a water/oil cooled turbo its pointless.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im getting one (already purchased), looks good. I like the idea that it fits on the OEM switch mount.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a really cool mounting option!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Last I checked, which was like two years ago, the only way it would work with the fast key was to roll down the window, shut the door and then click the window up button from the outside.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I haven't looked into the turbo cooling.. and I should have... if it's not oil cooled, then you are right it's a waste.

Can anyone confirm?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

*edit*Crappy internet double posted... disregard this block...*edit*
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fractur3

Originally Posted by Scott_S
I've heard this too. The reason for a turbo timer from my understanding is to keep the oil circulating through the turbo to prevent coking, but when you have a water/oil cooled turbo its pointless.
When you turn your car off water is not flowing through your turbo to keep it cool. Obviously 99% of the time just turning off your car is fine, you just don't want to shut it off after beating the hell out of it and not giving it time to cool back down.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:24 PM

Or you could just let your car idle for about 30 sec to about a minute and the shut it off. Free "turbo timer".
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:44 PM

Turbo Timers are a thing of the past, similar to any of these piggy back tuning computers. Idle for a few seconds before shutting down and don't kill the engine after doing 10 quarter mile pulls and your all good.

If you really want some kind of turbo protection look into a simple manifold gasket (thick thermal isolator gasket) or put the money into the cooling system, a high performance radiator or pump, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not aware of any turbocharger that isn't oil cooled. Non-water cooled, yes. Non-oil cooled, no.
If you run synthetic oil, do not turn your car off immediately after beating the crap out of it or steady state cruising in the higher RPM range where the ECU is in closed loop and turn your car off immediately, that thing is a waste of money.

Premature turbocharger failures caused from coking is fairly uncommon with synthetic oils.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the insight guys

that's $100 saved!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know its not needed. But its kewl. I needed to take place of the removed ACD switch.