Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How much tint? Post your pictures!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just sucks that if you get pulled over in Cali for Tint, you run the risk of the officer looking into your car which will then lead to a Ref ticket - and who wants that...

I rather just run without tint and avoid the heat.

When i was running with Limo tint (back when i was stock) i probably got pulled over 4 times a month for it. I took it off and have yet to be pulled over in 2 years.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2011MR_Lover
Just out of curiosity what percentage do you run in the front? How often do you get hassled by the cops because of the tint? I ask because unfortunately I live in cali and want the front and rear windows to match.
I explained it earlier.
Out of four cars, I've had everything from 10 and up. I was pulled over for the tint when it was 10. I received a warning on the evo 2 weeks ago for 25 or 35 tint, i forget. Now Im stock so I dont care to raise their flags, if you had emissions mods then it would be a bit different story because you would attract attention, I mean if your catless tbe isnt already. hahah

1 month ago:
Cop: "dont worry i only pulled you over for the tint on the front windows."
Me: "oh ok sir, figured as much."
Cop: "dont worry its only a fix it ticket"
Me: "oh yes im aware of the process"

Cop walks away and comes back

Cop"ok well im going to give you a warning"
I am like (never happens to me, literally first time)
Me: "well thanks sir, i'll get it taken care of"
Cop: smiles and says" just know that if we dont get you now well get you later, so take care of it" Smiles and walks away looking at the evo

eh, pick your hassle level.

Last edited by trick3d; Oct 18, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought my car used and it was already tinted. im guessing this is 20-30% all around. the angle is weird so more light is coming through front section

Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:57 PM

20% is ideal for night and day imo
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:40 AM

WW GSR and 15% all the way around... I live in CA too... for me, it has to match all the way around and it blocks the extreme heat rays from the sun... I can't STAND being burnt from the sun sitting in traffic. It's totally illegal here in CA, but hey... I've had limo on my old mustang and 15% on my range rover sc and run 15% on my lexus rx.... never been pulled over for tint so far (cross my fingers)
If I see a cop I just roll my windows down. Plus when it's really sunny out, it doesn't look that dark anymore.
So I say 15-20% all the way!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Horus
WW GSR and 15% all the way around... I live in CA too... for me, it has to match all the way around and it blocks the extreme heat rays from the sun... I can't STAND being burnt from the sun sitting in traffic. It's totally illegal here in CA, but hey... I've had limo on my old mustang and 15% on my range rover sc and run 15% on my lexus rx.... never been pulled over for tint so far (cross my fingers)
If I see a cop I just roll my windows down. Plus when it's really sunny out, it doesn't look that dark anymore.
Talk about getting a nice sunburn without tint, try hanging out here in Phoenix
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Horus
From what I've been told, the opacity has nothing to do with the UV blocking qualities. I'm planning to go 35% all the way around, but with UV blocking.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

It really varies with ur state and the police officer. Going one level darker will not get u noticed or cited. I know for a fact it isn't probable cause to get pulled over, at least in my state.

But if the police officer pulled u over with a different pc, they can cite u if they want to. But police officer uses their judgment if they want to or not, selective policing is the term. Just hope that u don't get a pissed off officer pulling u over. But going one level darker shouldn't be a problem....at least in my state.

Most state r at 35%.

Last edited by Panda_stunter; Oct 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:42 AM

I'm pretty sure mine is 20% on all sides.

Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:08 AM

35% Ceramic fronts and limo rear

Had like 3 cops hassle me on it but I tell them I tried to make the fronts lighter than the rear and they let me go on the tint

Name:  IMG_3368.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.3 KB
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha X
So if you have "illegal" tint on your car and you get pulled over by the cops for it. Aren't they just gonna make you take it off? Seems like you should just play it safe and get whats legal or you might end up paying double the price. Is that how it works or do you just get a ticket?
Cops usually wont make you scrape your windows on the spot but they will use the law (and particularly the loopholes here in PA) to basically just extort money from you. I've been extorted a few times over the years....I usually get nailed on rainy days as any % looks dark....officer comes up "Do you know why I pulled you over" (smirking) "yup" ....."heres your ticket, you can plead guilty or show up on this date".."thanks officer! Place check for $100 or so in mail to Township building.....repeat.

I used to run limo but now with my Phantom Black EVO I'm going with 35% all around to lessen the hassle...I'm tired of hiding the tickets from my wife who got to the point I was afraid she was going to start scraping it off it herself because I was wasting her purse money...haha!

The laws vary state to state borough to borough and cop to cop...My state PA has retarded laws and no direct answer on the matter so cops use this to their advantage even though legally they really shouldn't be enforcing anything (most from PA know what I;m talking about). You aren't going to win the debate with a cop. Even my stepdad who is a Detective said that its an extortion technique to get funds for new computers at the station..haha I hope he was joking!

If dark is worth the hassle for you and cost then go for it. However, don't be a a@@ and make sure you roll your windows down, put your hands out the window and turn on your dome light when you get pulled over..put yourself in his shoes..yea he may be a dik for pullin you over but he is risking his life for you daily so show some respect! Criminals don't say "I better get some dark tint so I can kill a cop" but cops get killed everyday so I understand the debate...its just the methods of enforcement and ambiguity at times I don't agree with.

Last edited by esquire7; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: word use
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by duhveed
35% Ceramic fronts and limo rear

Had like 3 cops hassle me on it but I tell them I tried to make the fronts lighter than the rear and they let me go on the tint

Looks great!

I am going in to get my X tinted this weekend. Anyone have pics of 35% front sides/20% in the back? Also considering 35% all around but leaning toward 35% front/20% rear.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

5% all around on my car, cost me $230. Never been pulled over or had cops give me trouble. The rule of thumb here in Edmonton is if you dont act like a retard on the streets, the cops wont bother you.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snakes709
5% all around on my car, cost me $230. Never been pulled over or had cops give me trouble. The rule of thumb here in Edmonton is if you dont act like a retard on the streets, the cops wont bother you.
Same here, people make such big deals about the tint. I am a firm believer that if your not bringing attention to yourself then you won't attract any. Plus for people who want tint, I would say if you want 35% go 20% because in the end you always wish you would've went darker. I can't count how many people who would've wished they went darker the first time.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:23 AM

That's why I am leaning toward 35%/20% as opposed to 35% all around. Believe it or not, I got pulled over in MI with 35% all around tint in my RSX. That was the only thing the cop could write me up for.

Wanna see more pics with the 35%/20% setup.

Also, I know some JDM Evos come with privacy glass in the back, wanna mimic that look. Anyone know the tint % of the JDM factory tint?

Last edited by UM_DC5; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: How much tint? Post your pictures!