Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Straight pipes in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipes in NYC

im thinking of changing my exhaust but i figure if im gonna change it im only doing straight pipes or nothing. Thats why ive been looking at the ets v2 extreme. i havent done any other mods to it either. My brothers got a 135i with straight pipes and its pretty loud and obnoxious, but hes never had any trouble with the police going to work or school, in long island and manhattan. so will i have problems getting pulled over every time i drive? maybe someone in NY or someone with this exhaust can give some feedback. Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:38 PM

so, you're ok with being loud and obnoxious..just don't wanna get pulled?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:46 PM

I'm going with the ETS v2 quiet and have heard in my area, no problems with the police.
I'm also from cali and the exhaust restrictions suck. I don't know about NY but if you're looking for something louder than stock, go with with the v2 quiet.

Risk getting pulled over, not worth it.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

bmw diffrent with 5.0, loud evo will get pulled over
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:34 PM

yea im fine with loud and obnoxious actually lol and u may be right with bmw different with the 5.0, also i dont see the point in paying for more money for v2 quiet. someone down my block has got an m3 with straight pipes and that is loud, u know when he drives by the block just from the noise, and i dont think he gets pulled over either that much.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Only issue with the Evo is you can never really cruise at low revs, generally you cruise around 3k, so its always gonna be loud. Where with the BMW it has a 6 speed which allows you to keep the revs lower while cruising, and also because it is geared differently...

Just something to think about.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:23 PM

im doin straight pipes during the winter. i live in MA. the only reason im doin straight pipes is because i got DD truck. people always tell me that ima get in trouble with the police. around here there are tons and tons of old civics with literally no exhaust, they are loud as **** and sound like they are farting. as long as you dont drive like and idiot im sure you'll be fine

post when you get them! with sound clips
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry just have to point this out

5.0 = Five point zero/o (mustang)
5o = Five O (cops)

lol
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRob
Sorry just have to point this out

5.0 = Five point zero/o (mustang)
5o = Five O (cops)

lol
Lol just had to point that out?

im not planning on changing it for atleast a couple of months, probably after winter maybe. I dont drive like an idiot, i try and mind my own business wherever i am, so honestly i dont think i ll have a problem.

Ive also heard of some people saying that if they get pulled over they can just say its a track car and your going to or from the track so some cops let you off the hook..lol this excuse wont work at 3 in the morning though
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would want to make such a nice car into an obnoxious POS.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I don't understand why anyone would want to make such a nice car into an obnoxious POS.
I agree.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you drive it every day with straight pipes its gonna drive you nuts eventually
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have straight pipe quad tip exhaust with 3 resonators on it. Here's what to expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMn2qpX9IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvoxOa-wTiU
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
You will regret it. Specially between the buildings the car will be extremely loud.... Definitely will draw unwanted attentions. not to mention the EvoX exhaust is very direct and short even compare to the older ones.
Even if you have a resonated test pipe , still the loudness is very iffy.
try to get something very free flowing exhaust with a resonated test pipe, if you must. But i think the Mil-Spec 100-cel cat, is not a bad idea to have in the exhaust system instead just a cat-less pipe. Less smell and little less noisy= less headache. But your performance will not suffer much vs the straight pipe and def. not vs the resonated pipe.

this is my opinion .
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

the cops in nyc will not really care about your exhaust. they usually have other stuff to do.

atleast in my experience, i did about 60 down 10th ave, weaving in and out of traffic to try and make an appointment. i specifically remember passing by atleast 3 cops. none of them even looked at me twice.

in the end it may come down to luck though, you might find a d***** cop whos having a bad day. but in all honesty i dont think theyll really care all that much.

Quick Reply: Straight pipes in NYC