Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods that don't void Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolution Z
edit: ALSO:

that mitsu guy and tech also sadi that if you do ANYTHING to your ecu, then they will know. so much as even think about touching it, and all that info will get stored. apparently is some super hi-tech thing that stores logs of anything and everything that happens to the car and the ECU its self... and it also does a lot more
They call it a flash counter I believe.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
that's like asking a hooker if she every gave a *******...

Mods = voided warranty, period.

How to avoid it? Have mod friendly dealers to work on your car and be friends with them. I get my oil changes from my mitsu dealer and I am back there doing it myself (sometimes but always at the back anyhow). They know all the mods I added, had multiple warranty work done as well with the mods, just not for the mods
There's no such thing as a voided warranty. They can deny a warranty claim, but your warranty is never voided.

Good to hear that your dealer is cool about mods, though. I think any service department with a brain is going to be cool with mods. Not only is it illegal for them to refuse a warranty claim based solely on mods... But it's bad for business. They have to prove that the mod is the EXACT cause of the damage. They can NOT "void" your warranty for an intake if your transmission explodes. They can't refuse to repair your engine based on aftermarket wheels. They can refuse to repair the transfer case if you have staggered wheels or something, because using improper wheel sizes WILL damage the t-case. See how that works?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I understand the law on mods but it's so easy for them to deny. They will say that exhaust creates more power which puts more strain on other parts same goes with other mods... You guys are lucky to have cool dealerships that work with you.

The only reason i was thinking of the mitsu hard pipe is because then they can't say anything about that. It would be cheaper and easier going with an AMS or aftermarket.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a sticky for this topic. Do a search.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
There's no such thing as a voided warranty. They can deny a warranty claim, but your warranty is never voided.

Good to hear that your dealer is cool about mods, though. I think any service department with a brain is going to be cool with mods. Not only is it illegal for them to refuse a warranty claim based solely on mods... But it's bad for business. They have to prove that the mod is the EXACT cause of the damage. They can NOT "void" your warranty for an intake if your transmission explodes. They can't refuse to repair your engine based on aftermarket wheels. They can refuse to repair the transfer case if you have staggered wheels or something, because using improper wheel sizes WILL damage the t-case. See how that works?
You are right on the technical aspect of it. That is assuming the dealer is full of at least decent people or it will just become a long *** hassle between you and MMNA and your car will just sit there waiting for it all to be handled then the fixing part will begin...

The warranty is just there but no usage of it if the dealer does decide it on vague and biennial assumptions. However, mods are just a piece of a vehicle... doesnt mean that it wont cause the problem which then if the dealer does refuse to work on it, I can understand but not mine. My SST filter housing decided to leak. I do have a AMS SST cooler (1/2 quart more fluid) and the dealer could have not done warranty work on it as "the housing was designed to have X amount of fluid and because of your aftermarket part it was too much for it".

I purchased 3 vehicles from that dealer including the EVO and going to get my gtr from them as well (used one not new. For new have to go to a certified NISSAN dealership but used ones... ANY dealer can get you one so I am gonna give my business to them again). Sales are great guys, especially the GM who is a friend of mine lol, parts/mechanic part is full of great guys as well. I lucked out to have them. I only had 1 mitsu experience outside of my dealership and its Don Herring Mitsu @ Plano. Awesome guys there too, first time ever being there (went there to get the SST filter housing patched up so I could drive back to fayetteville, ar), took care of me well and warranty covered it.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
ANY mods can, and have, voided warranties. People love throwing around links to the Mag Moss Act, but it won't get you far when dealing with the dealers so be prepared to fork over big bucks to a good lawyer. Best situation, just find yourself a mod-friendly dealer and do things they're comfortable with.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the deal---you are taking a gamble on mods and warranty--any way you cut it. The service guy could get out of bed wrong and decide he isnt going to over look them mod/mods on your car today and at that very minute. They can do what they want. Now--- those that point to the owner having rights---yep you do, if you dont mind the dealership keeping your car while you wait for the regions mitsu guy to come out and have a second look, or the expense of you getting a lawyer and then doumenting how the mods you put on the car didnt cause the problems and the time and money its going to take to get experts for your case to collaborate your assertions. Get real guys, its hit and miss at best, yep there are mod friendly delaership but those are by far in the minority... Role your dice do what you want and take it like a big boy if you get denied. Know your choices and accept the fact that there is more then a very real possiblity of getting denied warranty work on your modded car.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
I understand the law on mods but it's so easy for them to deny. They will say that exhaust creates more power which puts more strain on other parts same goes with other mods... You guys are lucky to have cool dealerships that work with you.

The only reason i was thinking of the mitsu hard pipe is because then they can't say anything about that. It would be cheaper and easier going with an AMS or aftermarket.
I personally don't know a single sucker/rube who's bought one of these, but here's the latest. I noticed it looks different than the 2008 offering. http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...accessories.do
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
With M-M, all depends who wants to spend more time and how far up the ladder you'll have to go.

I personally do not and will not go to dealers.

Find a good mechanic. They are worth as much as finding a good doctor is.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

all mods will void, dealers dont want to pay for shhhhht
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had two modded cars that needed to be worked on for warranty work. The first was a G35 that I bought new in 2003. I had my dealer put on a Kinetix SSV 6 log intake manifold, Stillen cat-back, Stillen CAI and HKS CD ignition. The service manager had his master mechanic put everything on. The car ran great and the warranty was kept intact. I bought the service manager and mechanic gift certificates.

I also had a Honda Civic Si that I bought new in 2007. I did not have that dealership install any of the parts. I went in for an oil change and was told by the service manager that there was a leak from the VTEC solenoid, which is located near the exhaust header. The service manager brought me back to the technician and asked the tech if the header had anything to do with the leak. He said that it wasn't, so the solenoid was fixed under warranty and I was even given a loaner car. Bought both service manager and tech gift certificates and never had any other issues.

Bottom line is to be polite and respectful to the service manager. There can be a lot of leeway if the servcie manager sees you as a valuable customer. BTW, both cars mentioned were bought from the same company that owns quite a few dealerships. Generally, there has to be a causal relationship between the factory part in question and the aftermarket part, like the VTEC solenoid and its close proximity to the custom header that I had. Magnusson-Moss is supposed to protect consumers who use aftermarket parts and SEMA is out there fighting for us as well. Bottom line is to use common sense when bringing in a car for warranty claims.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2003evo8
all mods will void, dealers dont want to pay for shhhhht
It's not the dealer - it's Mitsubishi. The dealer would love for your car to break because them they can fix it under warranty and bill Mitsubishi. But, their bill can get denied if Mitsubishi finds that there is warranty.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
I personally don't know a single sucker/rube who's bought one of these, but here's the latest. I noticed it looks different than the 2008 offering. http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...accessories.do
That link only pulled up the different models of cars for 2012. From what you were saying i expected to see a mitsu uicp. Is that the link you meant to send of the mitsu cars?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:01 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Cat-back exhaust is also documented as warranty supported within the 2" thick owners guide.
Please post up a page # if you ever happen to find it again. I've read the entire manual and can't remember ever seeing anything to that effect.

Correct; an Mitsu option included a hard pipe upgrade.
Mitsu IC piping isn't 100% solid, like aftermarket (not sure if that would matter)..

On my 1st trip to the dealership, the service manager immediately asked if I had any modifications they should know about.. so I said "ya, I stuck on a new license plate frame - is that okay?" lol. Then I asked him if there were any light mods that were okay with his shop, but he didn't know.. and wasn't willing to find out.

Quick Reply: Mods that don't void Warranty