Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What is it and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it and what does it do?

I have a NOOB question. What the heck is a "test pipe" I Google searched but just find sites that are selling them. What do they do? Also, I notice a lot of mods people do mess with the cat and other exhaust parts. Do you guys have trouble passing smog tests (for those in Commie Kalifornia)

While we are at it, what is a down pipe? lol

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Straight through pipe that replaces the catalytic converter.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

down pipe comes right off the hotside of the turbo down to the rest of the exhaust system.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a straight pipe for less restriction.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:21 PM

Yeah it's a cat-delete pipe and you will not be able to pass emissions in California with it ON
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the answers. So do people in CA just not change it or it is easy enough to just replace with the stock every couple of years when we have the smog check?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:56 PM

Yeah its pretty simple enough to change it when you do have to test it, especially since its not too often that you have to
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runnin a test pipe is loud though. I had to reinstall my stock cat since mine is a DD and driving on the drone on the high way was killing me. Especially when you just want to relax after a long day of work. If you want to go cat delete try looking at a resonated TP. I have heard horror story about Cali and there emissions though.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Or just use an HFC.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:49 PM

Unfortunately here in Colorado we have emissions check points on highway on-ramps every few weeks. They're vans that screen your exhaust as you're getting onto the highway.

However, living in Colorado Springs, I'm exempt High altitude finally does something for us.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dare599z
Unfortunately here in Colorado we have emissions check points on highway on-ramps every few weeks. They're vans that screen your exhaust as you're getting onto the highway.

However, living in Colorado Springs, I'm exempt High altitude finally does something for us.
What? i thought cali was bad. next thing we'll have highway cavity searches. just in case you know. what is wrong with these people.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Sad but the Global Warming crowd seems to be winning this battle for now. Hopefully some sense will be knocked into them before we are all driving Prius, which at that time I may just shoot myself. I read an article on how little car emissions add to the atmosphere compared to the electricity we use in our house, but I guess the cars are easy targets. Although also makes me wonder how electric cars are cleaner when we are burning coal to charge them.

Originally Posted by Throttle
What? i thought cali was bad. next thing we'll have highway cavity searches. just in case you know. what is wrong with these people.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Sad but the Global Warming crowd seems to be winning this battle for now. Hopefully some sense will be knocked into them before we are all driving Prius, which at that time I may just shoot myself. I read an article on how little car emissions add to the atmosphere compared to the electricity we use in our house, but I guess the cars are easy targets. Although also makes me wonder how electric cars are cleaner when we are burning coal to charge them.
cars are easy targets, but most people still drive normal cars. and lots of trucks are still on the roads too. most people still dont seem to be going for the hybrid nonsense and if that continues battery powered cars wont be produced anymore. i think hydrogen is the fuel of the future anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

cars are easy targets, but most people still drive normal cars. and lots of trucks are still on the roads too. most people still dont seem to be going for the hybrid nonsense and if that continues battery powered cars wont be produced anymore. i think hydrogen is the fuel of the future anyway.
You are in Northern CA, right? You may have it worse that we do down here in Southern CA. Just about every bad environmental idea comes down from up there. Although we have the Mayor of LA doing dumb things. Funny CA thinks they can save the world when China is pumping out more pollution than all the cars on the planet can produce. I am so thinking about moving to Texas. Mainly to get away from all these Taxes in CA but also I don't think they can be as bad as CA when it comes to cars. Hydrogen may be the way to go, or who knows we may wake up someday and realize man made global warming was a hoax and go back to the good 'ol days where we aren't told what light bulbs we have to use. Electric cars just don't do it for me. Need the sound of the engine. The sound I grew up with. Maybe future generations will be ok with the BUZZ of a car. Not me.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
And the funniest thing about it is, producing the electricity to charge up the battery powered cars is generally worse for the environment based on some studies I have looked into. But I bet there are studies that call it both ways too. But if those are correct, they can think they are being all green with their electric cars but still being more harmful than the exhaust coming out of normal cars.