Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Odd noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alex the great
What are you talking about? I just told him that when he hears a noise when turning to 1 direction only is cause by damaged bearings. How do I know? it happened to me and you can do some research!

And no bearings do not make noises in all speeds for your info bud. Stop postines wrong info please
Oh excuse me, I only work as an automotive technician five days a week, shame on me. And no bearings are not direction specific, there is always a similar load on the bearing regardless of the direction you turn, the hub turns at the same angle the tire does, and the bearing has roughly the same load regardless. So in response to your post, no, a noise when turning to 1 direction only is NOT causeD by damaged bearings. When I "postines" wrong information I'll be happy to correct it.

To the OP, where did you have that alignment done? They should have been able to get more camber adjustment than they got.. Based on the alignment specs I would say the vehicle would veer to the left when driven.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does have a tiny tiny pull to the left but it's hardly noticeable unless I'm going no hands for a bit. I just don't have the expertise to look at the alignment sheet and know how well of a job they did other than it drives straighter then before

As far as fixing the CV bearing, just gotta do a full axle swap or is there an easy way just to replace the cv joint/bearings? Either way I might as well replace the hub ($130 or so?) as well to be safe.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...ow=1&maxRow=10

Last edited by evolv; Mar 30, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Oh excuse me, I only work as an automotive technician five days a week, shame on me. And no bearings are not direction specific, there is always a similar load on the bearing regardless of the direction you turn, the hub turns at the same angle the tire does, and the bearing has roughly the same load regardless. So in response to your post, no, a noise when turning to 1 direction only is NOT causeD by damaged bearings. When I "postines" wrong information I'll be happy to correct it.
Maybe I'm late to the party or not following the above, but a noise when turning in one (and not the other) direction is probably the single best sign of a wheel-bearing issue. It's not a question of the direction of rotation of the bearing; it's a question of the load on the bearing and the angle of said load.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Maybe I'm late to the party or not following the above, but a noise when turning in one (and not the other) direction is probably the single best sign of a wheel-bearing issue. It's not a question of the direction of rotation of the bearing; it's a question of the load on the bearing and the angle of said load.
Correct!

To Evolutionx: I'm not trying to start fight or offend anyone like you did on your very first post towards me. I was just helping the OP with personal expericene because my previous car had this and I got told the same at 2 shops plus online forums. BTW you can work at a shop 24/7 but that doesn't make your opinion right and the others wrong! Funny how you pretend to be more important than me because of your job! Funny because the most powerful thing you have driven our worked with is your car and I run a 60000hp (45MW) gas turbine at work

Edit: Actually 2 of those turbines and their equipment.

Last edited by alex the great; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:55 AM

Well swapping the hub will be the fastest way to find out, and if it doesn't fix it I can always swap it back quick and return it.