Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Getting tuned soon... but it'll be a pain in the ass!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting tuned soon... but it'll be a pain in the ***!

Because I'm here in Atlanta, I was going to rely on Topspeed to tune my car, but after some research, I've decided to do otherwise. After some e-mails and a phone call, I've decided to do business with Mellon Racing in Memphis, Tennnessee. The ****ty part, its almost an 8 hour drive.

I'll be installing an intake, UICP, catless mid-pipe (all ETS parts), Hallmann Pro RX MBC, and AEM UEGO wideband before driving up.

Does anyone see any problems in an easy 8 hour drive with those mods without a tune and no WOT action?

--Matt
Old May 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

You should be fine, Just don't WOT that often. good luck on the tune!

The ride back will be fun as hell!

Doesn't Mellon Tuning do E-tuning ?
Old May 13, 2012, 08:34 PM

He does. I'm sort of old school and like the hands on approach and personally knowing the person making changes do my rig. But you're right, I'll be calling him this week to reevaluate the situation, because an 8 hour trip is a hard pill to swallow for a tune session.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I drive around 7 to get tuned by AMS, so I feel your pain. best advice I could give is try and stay out of the boost and you should be ok. Your mods don't seem that drastic
Old May 13, 2012, 08:48 PM

He does. I'm sort of old school and like the hands on approach and personally knowing the person making changes do my rig. But you're right, I'll be calling him this week to reevaluate the situation, because an 8 hour trip is a hard pill to swallow for a tune session.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

No CBE? if I had to drive that far I'd just wait and save up and get all bolt ons adn tune at once…why tune it w/ an intake but no down pipe or exhaust? Not sure how much a catless midpipe will do w/ out the exhaust. Seems you're just putting the restriction further down the line but not removing it…I wish I would've had my cams and injectors in before I got tuned originally. Ever looked into the Cobb AP? Not sure if Mellon works w/ those or not but if he does E-Tuning it might work, something to look into
Old May 14, 2012, 05:21 AM

A couple reasons why I'm holding back on a TBE. (1) gains with a DP are marginal at best. (2) paying $1500+ for TBE for maybe 30whp is ridiculous. (3) of the three components of a TBE, a catless mid-pipe seems to give more net power than either the DP or catback individually. Cats choke forced induction engines, so in essence I've removed one of many restrictions... one less choke point.

I do have an AP, but there are not any good maps for a 2012 MR yet. I used a beta map but the normal mode shifted like crap and knocked like hell. Mellon doesn't like the use the AP, but I've already bought the tactrix stuff already. I'd rather work with someone who will spend the time on the tune rather than someone who is just trying to rush through it to work on a more expensive car.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

have you check forge performance?
Old May 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Just a heads up man, this Wednesday, at Battlground in ATL a guy is coming up from TTP down in florida. He is alot better tuner than most, if not all, in the area.

Again, its not Battlground tuning the car, its TTP using their dyno.. call up Battlground if interested tho..

I'm in a simalir predicament and I don't think that I will be able to make it to ATL (in Augusta) by Wednesday. I was thinking about driving up to NC to Spec-Ops for a tune in a couple weeks. It's about a 3.5-4 hr drive

Last edited by ugakirk; May 14, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:58 AM

damn.....that is a long drive
Old May 14, 2012, 11:03 AM

Scott from TTP is no Joke!!!
Old May 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Skip the MBC, X's like 3-port BCS's.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Skip the MBC, X's like 3-port BCS's.
I agree, but I was curious, how much more is involved in tuning with a 3port? Is it a lot more difficult?
Old May 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

OP, if interested we would love to help you out with a tune. We have tuned a million Xs it feels like and have one we are tuning in the next day or two with fully built/sleeved 2.2L longblock w/ FP Black. I also agree just to stick with the 3port but if you want a mbc due to the ability for you to adjust boost, that is fine as well. Let us know and we can schedule you in. Our days off are Sunday/monday.

Here is a X we did last week on 93 FP Red. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10160942

And for a video, this is a friends stock block w/FP Black that I think still holds the record on 93 Oct stock block at 508whp. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i342jAkskAk

We don't have a dyno yet, so it will be a street tune. Let me know if you are interested brother!

Mikey
Old May 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MattACK
A couple reasons why I'm holding back on a TBE. (1) gains with a DP are marginal at best. (2) paying $1500+ for TBE for maybe 30whp is ridiculous. (3) of the three components of a TBE, a catless mid-pipe seems to give more net power than either the DP or catback individually. Cats choke forced induction engines, so in essence I've removed one of many restrictions... one less choke point.

I do have an AP, but there are not any good maps for a 2012 MR yet. I used a beta map but the normal mode shifted like crap and knocked like hell. Mellon doesn't like the use the AP, but I've already bought the tactrix stuff already. I'd rather work with someone who will spend the time on the tune rather than someone who is just trying to rush through it to work on a more expensive car.
I bought the entire Greddy Turboback exhaust for like 950 shipped......

- Sounds badass
- lightweight single exit.

Quick Reply: Getting tuned soon... but it'll be a pain in the ass!