Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AYC/ACD Pump Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:37 AM

I dunno about an update to OP, but I just got Mitsu to cover my dead pump under the Drivetrain Warranty so keep fighting and don't take no for an answer!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Yes, it's part of the powertrain, but, also, yes, dealer have been total tools about fixing them under warranty, probably because they've been ordered to be tools by Corporate. If, for example, your main ECU has been flashed, good luck.
When you use a AP and re-flash the stock map dealer cant tell if your ECU has been tampered with but it will show that your ECU has been reset recently any they will most likely ask why.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:26 AM

Yes, it's part of the powertrain, but, also, yes, dealer have been total tools about fixing them under warranty, probably because they've been ordered to be tools by Corporate. If, for example, your main ECU has been flashed, good luck.
Wait, under the powertrain?!?!?! I was specifically told by the dealer that it was under the basic warranty. I mean, I'm glad I'm only at 15k miles, but still, I was here hoping my pump went out before I hit 36k.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jake.barratt
When you use a AP and re-flash the stock map dealer cant tell if your ECU has been tampered with but it will show that your ECU has been reset recently any they will most likely ask why.
Can you say you disconnected the battery for some reason? Does that reset the ECU learned parameters?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

no it is not covered under powertrain, it is under 3yrs or 36k miles - mine broke at 29k miles and mitsu wont cover it.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodeopunk_je87
Wait, under the powertrain?!?!?! I was specifically told by the dealer that it was under the basic warranty. I mean, I'm glad I'm only at 15k miles, but still, I was here hoping my pump went out before I hit 36k.
The way Mitsu justifies it, is they claim it is a "luxury" item, and not required for the car to work....
So no, normally they will not cover this under the powertrain warranty. there was someone in here who claims to have had his covered under the pt warranty though
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mshilto89
The way Mitsu justifies it, is they claim it is a "luxury" item, and not required for the car to work....
So no, normally they will not cover this under the powertrain warranty. there was someone in here who claims to have had his covered under the pt warranty though
Absolute bullsh*t...by that standard, the turbo is a luxury item, too. The car will still work without, it'll just be slow as sh*t
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:18 PM

Wow. As a prospective evo owner this news just plain sucks. I've reached out to a lot of aftermarket companies and they too have not been able to create a long term fix.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking of prospective owners, I tried that approach with a dealership today, trying to see if I could get a different answer WRT the ACD pump's warranty. I told them I was interested in the 2013 X they had on the lot, but had heard some bad things about an expensive part dying and not being covered. (I acted dumb at first, but couldn't hold in my knowledge for long.) We soon were talking about the ACD pump in particular and whether it was part of the powertrain or not. After some back and forth, the best answer I got was "maybe ... probably not." So I asked for the name and number of district manager or regional representative for Mitsu and they absolutely refused to tell me. At that point I fessed up as to who and what I really am, but the answer remained the same: "it might be powertrain, but we can't tell you without your VIN and mileage, and the final decision can't be known before we look at the car, and we will not tell you who makes the final decision."

If you are truly a prospective buyer, I would consider trying this (honestly). It really is something to consider before buying an Evo X. The car is not the same with an open center and open rear, it really will cost you $2000+ to have a dealer fix it if it isn't covered, and it is very likely to corrode and die at some point in the first five years.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mshilto89
Since you are one of the most active and motivated people WRT this issue, I suggest the following project: search and find any and all places where Mitsu has referred to the AWD system as a safety feature. Restrict your search to items produced by Mitsu (only); do not collect local ads from dealers, etc. Your goal is to create a paper trail to establish that Mitsu has, itself, made claims that establish that problems with the AWD system are a safety issue. That is how you get NHTSA's attention. It is also a much more effective way to embarrass Mitsu (as well as make their lawyers worry). If you can show that Mitsu - in it's own words - is allowing people to drive cars that are broken in a way that makes them less safe (as opposed to merely less luxuriated), then you might get some traction (as it were) with them.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:31 AM

Since you are one of the most active and motivated people WRT this issue, I suggest the following project: search and find any and all places where Mitsu has referred to the AWD system as a safety feature. Restrict your search to items produced by Mitsu (only); do not collect local ads from dealers, etc. Your goal is to create a paper trail to establish that Mitsu has, itself, made claims that establish that problems with the AWD system are a safety issue. That is how you get NHTSA's attention. It is also a much more effective way to embarrass Mitsu (as well as make their lawyers worry). If you can show that Mitsu - in it's own words - is allowing people to drive cars that are broken in a way that makes them less safe (as opposed to merely less luxuriated), then you might get some traction (as it were) with them.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...brary/acd.html
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, but notice that the ACD was listed under "Driving Pleasure," not "Toughness and Safety," so that doesn't help (and actually hurts). But thanks for the information, either way.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SniperwolF
no it is not covered under powertrain, it is under 3yrs or 36k miles - mine broke at 29k miles and mitsu wont cover it.
Yeah... yours died at 29K miles then why not covered? Mind to share a bit more?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Did you not read his signature? He has a "virbrant carbon fiber shift knob"; that's a warranty killer in Mitsu's eyes.

Quick Reply: AYC/ACD Pump Warranty