Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AYC/ACD Pump Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AYC/ACD Pump Warranty

I was hoping someone would know if the AYC/ACD pump is warrantied with the drivetrain under the 5yr 60,000 mile, mine is leaking from a seal in the pump. I have a 2008 EVO X GSR with 45,000 miles. I am waiting to hear back from a dealership regarding warranty repair. Unfortunately have a road trip planned in the next two weeks, if it isnt under warranty I will by flying due to the outrageous cost I will be facing. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure. I've heard some say that it is, and have had it replaced under the powertrain warranty, and others been denied saying that it was not. Guess it's up to the dealer? Good luck either way.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, it's part of the powertrain, but, also, yes, dealer have been total tools about fixing them under warranty, probably because they've been ordered to be tools by Corporate. If, for example, your main ECU has been flashed, good luck.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply's! I was wondering how a dealer could say its not part of the powertrain, especially since it's primary function is to provide fluid to the S-AWC. I just spoke with the dealer and they want me to drive to them which is 1.5hrs to take pics of the pump to be sure it has not been tampered with or abused. I know Mitsubishi will tow to the nearest dealer, I will find out if they will do it for this as well. I am pretty sure they want to find a reason not to warranty the work, the only mods I have so far shouldnt void the warranty as far as I know. My ECU has been flashed via COBB AP, I was going to reflash with stock MAP and hope all is well lol. Thanks again!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

The first thing that they will do when you arrive is check for a reflash. There's an order from Corporate to check this on all Evo Xs. Once they see the reflash, you will be fighting the regional rep. I would not drive it to them. I'd skip the step and get the regional rep's name and number, call him or her up, and see if he or she is going to be a jerk about it.

Note: if you'd like to skip a second step, the answer to the question as to whether the rep will be a jerk is Yes.

edit: Prescott? As in Maine? If so, I'm from MDI. I only work in Iowa.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:46 PM

Thanks, no im in Prescott AZ. The dealer can tell if I have flashed the ECU even if I flash back the stock settings? Is so that blows. A used AYC/ACD pump online is around $800. I have seen rebuild kits that come with the control device to flush the system simultaneously as required. Honestly I am pretty handy but that looks to be pretty difficult. None of the local shops will touch it due to the special device to flush the system.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:40 PM

How can they check for a reflash if you put a "stock" map back on? The stock parameters will all be there....

I always thought there was no way to count how many times a car has been flashed?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

There might not be a way to tell twice from three times or more, but they can tell zero from one. Face it: most of us will have to fight for warranty work.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:02 PM

I am waiting to hear back from Ian at COBB to confirm this, but I thought if flashing using the COBB AP the dealer cant tell, that is one reason I purchased it due to having a warranty. As far I understand even if the battary dies or is disconnected that may read as a flash as well and the EVO X does not have an actual "flash counter". I am going to go ahead and flash back to stock and go to the dealer and see what happens on Friday 7/27/12 and will get back to you and inform you of what happens. Thanks again for all of the replies.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

My understanding is that a typical service tech with a MUT can't tell if you've been flashed and then returned to stock, but a better-trained person can tell (maybe by looking at the saved value for timing-chain stretch). There is also this memo from Corporate to keep in mind:
Attached Thumbnails AYC/ACD Pump Warranty-evo_warranty.jpg  
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:11 PM

Wow, thanks for that form, that is good to know . So since I am second owner and have only owned the vehicle for about 5 1/2 months starting with 38,000 miles, of course I dont have records before that. How do they base warranty coverage if they cant locate history of maintenance prior to my ownership?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in exactly the same position. Lucky for me, the previous owner had his oil-changes done at a dealer, so I could get the records, if I needed them. If you didn't get the records of oil-changes and such when you bought the car, I'd ask the previous owner if he or she has them. You want to be ready.

This is the probable order of events if your pump is dead or dying: (1) they tell you this and they also contact the district or regional rep and the latter says to deny; (2) you argue, maybe even providing records, but they still deny; (3) you either suck it up or you take them to court.

Now, you might be lucky. If you're in Prescott, Maine, then maybe the regional rep won't be a tool. (I say this because, if I were Mitsu, I'd send my least aggressive regional rep to a place like Maine.) But, odds are, the above is what you have in store.

edit: the last parenthetical was not meant to be a slam on Maine. I'm from Maine. I was simply saying that I'd send my least-aggressive rep to a low-population part of the country.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:37 PM

no worries I am in AZ, and have to go to Phoenix. I have an appt at the dealer for tomorrow, I flashed back to stock and uninstalled my Cobb AP. According to cobb they dont believe the dealer can tell if it is uninstalled, but of course they wont live by that. I guess its a good start that the dealer wants to do a tear down and take pics to give to the rep. Since I havent done any major mods to the engine and or drivetrain, I have no choice but to be hopeful . Thanks again!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FINCHY78
no worries I am in AZ, and have to go to Phoenix. I have an appt at the dealer for tomorrow, I flashed back to stock and uninstalled my Cobb AP. According to cobb they dont believe the dealer can tell if it is uninstalled, but of course they wont live by that. I guess its a good start that the dealer wants to do a tear down and take pics to give to the rep. Since I havent done any major mods to the engine and or drivetrain, I have no choice but to be hopeful . Thanks again!
Prescott AZ? Lived there from 99-07. It's a long *** drive, but go to BigTwo in Mesa (Superstition/60fwy). They've been awesome there. The service manager is very approachable.
You should come down to the Pav's sometime
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
Prescott AZ? Lived there from 99-07. It's a long *** drive, but go to BigTwo in Mesa (Superstition/60fwy). They've been awesome there. The service manager is very approachable.
You should come down to the Pav's sometime

I may do that! I went to the closest dealer to me north Phoenix. Service rep told me up to 3 days to get a response from the pics they took, so by tomorrow. I dont see any possible reason for them to not cover the pump, especially since they fail all of the time. I dont think they even checked the ECU for a reflash, and they didnt even ask me. I heard its a good time at the Pav's, will have to make a trip.

Quick Reply: AYC/ACD Pump Warranty