Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Drop-in Filter fitment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop-in Filter fitment

So just dropped a K&N filter in the stock air box...But the fitment does not seem to be great- it fits... but the outer edge closest to the firewall does not seat flush with the outer airbox plastic. Is this standard? I fiddled with it for 15 minutes, making sure it was in there perfect, yet I could never get a "perfect" fit- like I said small gaps around the filter element and the air box edge...obviously there are no open seals, I just thought it would fit a little bit better. Anyhow, I drove it tonight and it seemed good. def felt improvement- stock, no tune.

On another note. I was driving and talking...totally blacked out and when I went to up-shift, I hit the LEFT paddle- DOH!!! the engine redlined hard, and I had no clue what I had done at first...I thought something broke. took foot off gas immediately and everything settled down...realized what I did...the evo was fine. first car with paddle shifters...been driving stick forever with a few autos mixed in (jeep/truck).

I am guessing the rev limiter/fuel cut-off saved me...just want to be sure these things are idiot proof and the car has built in mechanisms to keep the engine/trans from getting damaged in that type of situation. It has driven great since so...

sorry for the rant, but Ive only had the car since saturday and i feel like I pulled off the most amateur move with that mis-shift...just looking for a little consoling on these two matters

I searched for fitment issues but didnt find anything.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

the filter should seal.. Something isn't right.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
the filter should seal.. Something isn't right.
So it was dark when I installed...checked this morning and found the 2 bottom latches were not in place...got it all taken care of in a matter of seconds...
Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

nicee....