Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost
Has anyone called 1-888-MITSU2013 about the pump issue?
Yeah I called, and they were total *** bags!!! I even filed a complaint because of how many pumps break down.. This ***** I spoke too; Dedra a case manager actually had the ***** to say she never heard of the S-AWC pump failing!!!!!!!!! I hung up on her at that point. I drove 2k on the bad awc and at the 2k mark my car began responding different, so I took it to a dealership because all six other garages did not have the tools to repair it. $2123.00 out the door

Last edited by Stacks007; May 10, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old May 19, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping this back up to the top, have seen at least 3 threads on here regarding people whose pumps have failed while they were in the powertrain warranty and were refused replacements. Please, if you have had a failure, help not only yourself, but everyone else and file a complaint.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:51 PM

Great idea, I filed a complaint. My SAWC light has been on for a few days now, it's been temperamental in the past so I'm still holding out hope it'll go away on its own but either way I know it's only a matter of time at this point.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

It's pretty disappointing to know that so many of these cars have had ACD pump failures and Mitsu won't do anything about them. I'm fortunate enough (knock on wood) that it didn't happen to my 08 yet.

With how the pump works I'm surprised they don't cover it as part of the drivetrain. I think Mitsubishi needs to come out with a customer satisfaction campaign for this one...
Old May 20, 2013, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 09+ Ralliart owners are starting to be affected by this problem as well. Do you guys think plastidiping the whole pump would help for those of us with working pumps?

I also found this video on youtube which explains the rebuild proccess pretty well. It does not look fun.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:38 PM

Just filed my complaint from the link here. My pump went out on my 08 GSR with 40k miles after a cold winter with snow. Mine happened when it warmed up outside. When it is below 50 degrees everything seems fine. Anything above 50 and the service required comes on. Dealer said sorry, $2 grand to fix it. What a bunch of BS!!!
Old May 22, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

NeoGeo I have a feeling while plastidipping it would protect it, there may be the possibility of overheating as well. There are some guys who spray a thick coating of WD-40 or some other lubricant on the pump, to keep the salt and other gunk from getting in the cracks. But in the end, who knows?
Old May 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

how hard is it to pull the rear bumper? I may do what the vdideo suggests and put a coat of silicone around where the pump/motor/rest meets.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SniperwolF
me no... - coz my evo is 3yrs and 6 months old
I was informed by my dealership here that if it's just over the time, Mitsu often will replace the pump...I'd try another dealership and see if they can help because maybe the one you went to just doesn't want to put in any time or effort. In the end I'd even try negotiating for a 1/2 price deal...I did that once with Ford and it worked and they gave the AC unit to me for just their cost with no labour to install, but you have to know how to raise some hell and to let them know you won't go away. I was probably over by 9 months on that AC unit.

Last edited by coryl; Jun 5, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coryl
I was informed by my dealership here that if it's just over the time, Mitsu often will replace the pump...I'd try another dealership and see if they can help because maybe the one you went to just doesn't want to put in any time or effort. In the end I'd even try negotiating for a 1/2 price deal...I did that once with Ford and it worked and they gave the AC unit to me for just their cost with no labour to install, but you have to know how to raise some hell and to let them know you won't go away. I was probably over by 9 months on that AC unit.
Are you modded?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:26 PM

I'm in the same boat as all of you. Pump failed at around 50K. Dealer said NO. Called mitsubushi USA. They were nice but said No aslo. I'll be filing the complaint soon to add my name to the list.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:30 PM

How likely is this to fail? I'm in the market for an Evo, but this is giving me second thoughts.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hn07
How likely is this to fail? I'm in the market for an Evo, but this is giving me second thoughts.
it -will- fail sooner or later, but there are a few things you can do to get the most life out of the pump, like sealing the joints with silicone, maybe plastidipping it, etc.

I hope those complaints are creating a big pile over at their office lol.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:30 PM

Would it help if we relocated the pump to the trunk of the car, I know they do this in the UK for Evo racecars. Does it generate much heat?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi must think that if they cover that part other similiar parts on the car such as the CMC should as well. Business move. However with the support it can be attained. I dare say we are ALL in line for this so why not.

Last edited by tellme718; Jun 5, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)