Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New to Evos. Overboosting Issue!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it still does over boost after trying that, you know its something mechanical, then your wastegate could be sticking or wastegate actuator could be malfunctioning, then you can go thru the PITA to take off the wastegate rod to see if the flappers sticking haha

Last edited by TheBigD; Oct 24, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I will try that next. Just wondering why would it not overboost? I thought that the vacuum is what tells the wastegate to open or close? Also why would overboosting cause Asc to turn off and a service light for sawc system? Sorry just trying to learn while testing this stuff out so I understand more.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:26 PM

i also wanted to add that when Im getting into boost that it feels kinda hesitant and jerky during quick acceleration. Not quite WOT but when i get into boost. I have read that its common to have the fuel pump relay go bad so ill test that out with the high beam relay tomorrow and see if any difference. Also Im going to probably get some new plugs into it. From what Im reading i assume ngk iridium would work fine? Just seems like even at idle its not very smooth kinda like an it wants to die but not that extreme. Just a rough idle. Im about through the full tank of fuel previous owner had in it so ill make sure to get some new 93 in it in case he was a cheap a** and put 87 in it. So far thats all i got right now. I was also reading about the maf sensor failing can cause some issues. Would it throw a CEL if that were it? I will also try the disconnecting vacuum line from wastegate test tomorrow and report back. If it is an issue with the wastegate being faulty is it replaceable? Im gonna shed a tear i think if i had to replace the whole turbo a few days after owning
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamlacalle
Ok I will try that next. Just wondering why would it not overboost? I thought that the vacuum is what tells the wastegate to open or close? Also why would overboosting cause Asc to turn off and a service light for sawc system? Sorry just trying to learn while testing this stuff out so I understand more.
First spend 20 minutes and read this: http://blog.perrinperformance.com/bo...ems-explained/

As for the ASC light and sawc it's just the cars way of telling you sh*ts f*cked up.

I also wouldn't jump to crazy conclusions. The car is modified and you don't know what has been done to it. Chances that you have a random very rare problem with the wastegate are slim. More then likely the tune on the car was for other parts, or for e85, or something else is the cause of the problem.

Last edited by ddawg1130; Oct 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

All this sounds like the car just needs to be tuned. Just adding intake and exhaust caused my 08 X to over boost constantly. After getting it tuned, all those issues went away.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^excellent article - thanks for posting. i learned much!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:10 AM

Ok i just got the hose off of the wastegate. Do i need to plug the nipple on the wastegate or just the hose?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:18 AM

After reading that article is shows that the boost pressure from the turbo is what opens the waste gate correct? Well wouldnt removing that pressure i.e. the hose, make the waste gate not open because its not getting the pressure to open it? wouldnt that be the same effect and installing a boost controller and closing it off? Boost controllers limit the amount of pressure going to the wastegate correct? Well the more you turn the boost up the more it restricts how much pressure the wastegate sees. So wouldnt this cause the wastegate not to open and spool the turbo as much as it could reach in turn blowing my motor?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

my mistake, cant think straight. LOL externals gates work the way i told you prior, internal wastegate actuators work opposite

as for everything turning off, if you hit boost cut or over boost it throws your car into a limp mode type of state.

Last edited by TheBigD; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Ok i just got the hose off of the wastegate. Do i need to plug the nipple on the wastegate or just the hose?
actually sorry i was thinking you had an external gate for some dumb reason, im normaly tired when i get on here hahaha, just hook a vacuum line straight from your turbo to your wastegate actuator then you will only run wastegate pressure of 10 or 12 psi, because the second you hit more boost than the spring can hold itll open, that way if it does open, then you know your boost control solenoid is going out or vacuums are messed up.

my solution, good old trusty MBC

Last edited by TheBigD; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:34 AM

ok just plugged it off and same thing but this time no harsh hesitation. weird cuz it was smooth all the way up to 35 psi vacuum is around 15at idle.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:36 AM

also i did swittch high beam and fuel relays and the asc and service awc jights did come on when i test and over boosted

Last edited by Teamlacalle; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

if you take a vacuum line straight from the turbo to the wastegate there is no way it should over boost.... if it does let us know

if it doesnt you know your wastegate is working fine, then the problem lies in ether your tune, boost solenoid , or vacuum line routing

because essentially all your doing is bypassing the solenoid and forcing it to open as early as it can.

Last edited by TheBigD; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:58 AM

when you say from the turbo do you mean the outlet elbow on the top? there is a hose that is Td off of there that goes from the black elbow bolted on the charge side of the turbo to the wastegate and the other goes to the solenoid. also there is a restrictor pill in the hose that goes the the wastegate. should i disconnect from that elbow and plug that one. then take a new hose directly from there to the waste gate?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

when you say from the turbo do you mean the outlet elbow on the top? there is a hose that is Td off of there that goes from the black elbow bolted on the charge side of the turbo to the wastegate and the other goes to the solenoid. also there is a restrictor pill in the hose that goes the the wastegate. should i disconnect from that elbow and plug that one. then take a new hose directly from there to the waste gate?
yeah i would unplug that whole hose and run a new one from turbo to wastegate. because im not sure if that little pill will cause issues

Quick Reply: New to Evos. Overboosting Issue!