Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight questions

Guys so I have been doing research like crazy on headlights for my evo because I have just regular non-SSS halogen lights. So I initially was going to get the Spec-D headlights but have read countless reviews on how bad they are. So I have finally decided to just buy the oem projectors and do a retrofit with some Evox-r projectors. I had a few questions with install.
-How do I go about blacking out the housing in the oem lights? Is there a certain paint I should use?
-I know my low beam lights is a 9006 right? So what would I need to throw some HID on there? Do ballasts come with the oem lights? I would need just a bulb correct, since it would have integrated ballasts?
-I was looking into the Osram D2S bulbs for my low beams. What bulb size goes into the high beam?
-Also I am interested in getting the leveling switch for my lenses. If I retrofit the light with a different projector would I still be able to do this?
-If I have the non-sss car would I still have an adapter or wire to hook up the leveling switch?
Sorry so much guys for all the questions, I just kind of want this to be my first big project on the car, and I really want to do it myself and not pay someone 500 bucks or more for install.

Let me know if you guys have any other advise or any answers to these questions.

Last edited by kosteniuks17; Feb 26, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was originally planning on going depo and just doing a retrofit, but I read that the depo blacked out headlights use a 2.5" projector, and the oem use a 3" projector. So I think on planning go with oem and do a Evo-R projector retrofit with some HID's. Are there any adapters I will need between my current connection for the halogens and to the OEM projectors?
-Also would you say the best projector on the market is currently the Evo-R projector? Or is there something better out there. I just want to do the best job I can do.
-Also my brother did a retrofit on his mazdaspeed and he said that he changed the lens on it, and it made it 3 times better. By lens would that mean the projector lens? Or is that something else. Im guessing the new projector will have an upgraded lens? Correct?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get your HID conversion kit here. I had the same thing as you. Don't need to put a special lense in or anything. $150 to your door, easy installation and the end result is unreal. Love them