Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Nerd talk: The magic of torque vectoring

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nerd talk: The magic of torque vectoring

The S-AWC is a unique but highly effective system when it comes to improving evo's track and everyday performance. The torque vectoring(TV) on our cars is simply brilliant. I have always wondered how it stacks up against quattro, honda's TV, suburu's awd.
Finally i found this. Its an interesting read, goes over your head at times. Check it out
Attached Files
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Very interesting... Thx
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for that I feel smarter now
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Neither Audi nor Subaru have torque vectoring that I know of. The second generation of Honda's SH-AWD does have torque vectoring, but it's completely different from from our AYC and is really a component of the Honda's (gas/electric) hybrid driveline. In a nutshell, on the latest Acuras with SH-AWD, the separate electric motors on the rear wheels are not powered equally when turning, producing the desired yaw. It's not clear to me whether this really is better than the first generation of SH-AWD, which was a Haldex center.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Neither Audi nor Subaru have torque vectoring that I know of. The second generation of Honda's SH-AWD does have torque vectoring, but it's completely different from from our AYC and is really a component of the Honda's (gas/electric) hybrid driveline. In a nutshell, on the latest Acuras with SH-AWD, the separate electric motors on the rear wheels are not powered equally when turning, producing the desired yaw. It's not clear to me whether this really is better than the first generation of SH-AWD, which was a Haldex center.

My understanding is the SH-AWD (non-hybrid) is capable of splitting power front to rear as well as left to right. The F-R split varies by model but the L-R split can be up to 100% in either direction.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

That matches my understanding. The first version of SH-AWD (which is on the non-hybrids) had a Haldex center, so it can control the torque distribution in detail. But those cars didn't have torque vectoring (that I know of); that is: they couldn't do anything left/right.

But, to be honest, the only stuff that I really know about Hondas is what I can see in a rear-view mirror.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

But those cars didn't have torque vectoring (that I know of); that is: they couldn't do anything left/right.
but they do

But, to be honest, the only stuff that I really know about Hondas is what I can see in a rear-view mirror.
I wish I could say the same but all of my hondas are much quicker/faster than the evo.

Last edited by sgtr275; Mar 28, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ummm stop being such a mitsubishi homer. Honda was the 1st to come out with rear torque vectoring.

My wife has an Acura MDX with SH-AWD and it distributes up to 70% troque to the rear and up to 100% of that to either rear wheel when needed. Oh and the AWD graph in the dash is a hell of a lot nicer and responsive than the evo's.

This thread makes me want to build another boosted honda for cheap and pick on some evo's on the freeway

Last edited by Gyroscope; Mar 29, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

If one or both of you are saying that the first generation of SH-AWD - i.e., the one with a Haldex center - had some kind of torque vectoring, that's not only news to me, but I don't see how it can do it. In contrast, if you're talking about the second generation - i.e., that which comes on a hybrid - then we agree, because that's what I said. In the second-gen cars, the torque vectoring is achieved by differences in power to the two, separate electric motors in the rear.

With regard to claims about X% of the torque being sent to one end of the car or Y% being sent to a given wheel, I've given up on arguing about this. Very few people seem to understand the distinction between torque split and torque distribution for a conventional AWD. When we're talking about a Haldex....

Last edited by Iowa999; Mar 29, 2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

With regard to claims about X% of the torque being sent to one end of the car or Y% being sent to a given wheel, I've given up on arguing about this. Very few people seem to understand the distinction between torque split and torque distribution for a conventional AWD. When we're talking about a Haldex....
The torque split is variable front to rear and side to side. The first sh-awd could go from 70 percent front/30 percent rear to 30F/70R in the rl, 90F/10R to 50/50 in the mdx, and 90/10 to ,I believe, 60/40 in the rdx. The torque sent to the front or rear is also variable from side to side, up to 100 percent. I don't understand why that wouldn't be considered to be torque vectoring.

With regard to the haldex you keep referring to. Apparently between the transmission and rear differential there is another component which over drives the rear and that is how they accomplish the adjustable f/r split.

Edited for correctness: no center differential or haldex

Last edited by sgtr275; Mar 30, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

There is no center differential in a car with a Haldex.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

If one or both of you are saying that the first generation of SH-AWD - i.e., the one with a Haldex center - had some kind of torque vectoring, that's not only news to me, but I don't see how it can do it. In contrast, if you're talking about the second generation - i.e., that which comes on a hybrid - then we agree, because that's what I said. In the second-gen cars, the torque vectoring is achieved by differences in power to the two, separate electric motors in the rear.

Honestly, I don't know what youre talking about
There is no haldex there is no hybrid
There is a transfer case and a mechanical rear dif
Its always had torque vectoring front to rear (unlike the evo) and left to right the day it came out in the early 2000's and if you want to get nitpicky honda also had torque vectoring in a fwd configuration in the late 90's in the prelude

Last edited by Gyroscope; Mar 30, 2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

There is no center differential in a car with a Haldex.
You're right there. But as someone else also pointed out, Honda doesn't use a center differential or a haldex.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

It seems I missed one generation. Sorry about that. More accurately, what I was calling the first generation was not considered to be SH-AWD. I learned a lot this morning. Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither Audi nor Subaru have torque vectoring that I know of.

List of systems capable of active left-right torque vectoring

• Audi's quattro with Sport Differential
  • Subaru's AWD on 2015 WRX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_vectoring

Last edited by wjamyers; Mar 30, 2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Nerd talk: The magic of torque vectoring