Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, keep in mind that in order to perform pdr, the tech needs to be able to get behind the damaged panel in order to "massage" the metal back in place. That means that, if the repairman can't find a viable access for the tool required (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280618998336?lpid=82 just to give you an idea what they look like), they're either going to have to drill a hole around a door sill somewhere near the damage, or take out the inside trim and other stuff that's in the way. Make sure to have them tell you whether they had to remove interior trims/headliner and/or drill any holes, so that you can inspect the quality of the work performed.
Old May 25, 2014, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Oh Hail no. I'd be hailla pissed if that happened to me....
Old May 25, 2014, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks dude, Hopefully it all works out.. Glad we dont have hail here in so-cal
Old May 25, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VanduzerWilliam
That sucks dude, Hopefully it all works out.. Glad we dont have hail here in so-cal
All you have is perfect weather... I hate you.
Old May 25, 2014, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

My whole thing is I've seen re painted panels on a replaced section of a car. It never matches. I'm sure I'm gonna have a fight on my hands. But we shall see. The local dealer up the way salvaged one for quick sale and totaled two other. Yes these car go for 40k new but we all know the steep depreciation these cars hit from new to used.

The pictures also don't do it justice as far as the damage is concerned. It literally looks like someone to a fully automatic paintball gun to every panel on the car. Hard enough to put a crack in the spoiler. I'm guessing I'll end up with 40-45% of the car replaced overall in the end.

We shall see.
Old May 26, 2014, 05:56 AM

If I were you I'd fight for a new car too. In just explaining the realities of this stuff. I work at a Carmax in Chicago, we just had a hail storm come through last week.

Dent wizard is at our store, they sent a team and are repairing about 300 cars. Not totaling a single one out.

As far as the paint matching you are right, they don't ever match 100 percent. You might find the insurance try and replace the panels too. Very little on the outside is non replaceable. Hood, fenders, trunk , spoiler, can all be replaced. The roof is easy to do because they just drop the headliner.

Your best option here is to be firm and kind of jerk about it. Let them know you have experience in body repair. You will be looking over every inch of the car for signs that it wasn't done properly. Remaining dents, non matching paint panels, etc.....

I wish you well in this fight !!!
Old May 26, 2014, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is one the saddest things I have ever seen.

This is going to be a significant amount of work but I doubt they salvage it over this. Someone with paint less talent can do some serious good work on this.

Good luck
Old May 26, 2014, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hughett
If I were you I'd fight for a new car too. In just explaining the realities of this stuff. I work at a Carmax in Chicago, we just had a hail storm come through last week. Dent wizard is at our store, they sent a team and are repairing about 300 cars. Not totaling a single one out. As far as the paint matching you are right, they don't ever match 100 percent. You might find the insurance try and replace the panels too. Very little on the outside is non replaceable. Hood, fenders, trunk , spoiler, can all be replaced. The roof is easy to do because they just drop the headliner. Your best option here is to be firm and kind of jerk about it. Let them know you have experience in body repair. You will be looking over every inch of the car for signs that it wasn't done properly. Remaining dents, non matching paint panels, etc..... I wish you well in this fight !!!
Yeah it's gonna be an uphill fight but it is what it is. Wish me luck. I'll keep you guys posted. Hope y'all are enjoying the holiday.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:47 PM

I wouldn't even attempt to repair this yourself, if you put up enough of a fight insurance should cover you.
Old May 27, 2014, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Ouch.. seems like you were in the same storm as one of my instagram buddies.

Old May 28, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Old May 28, 2014, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's horrible
Old May 28, 2014, 06:58 AM

Damn, that is one of the worst hail damaged cars I've seen.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:03 AM

I am in Richmond too.... that storm was ****ing crazy. Good luck with your car man.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:16 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jdjones24
Oh Hail no. I'd be hailla pissed if that happened to me....

Quick Reply: Hail damage